DG knob

Will Kumley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Will
I'm not near the hangar right now but am hopeful that someone here can help me out. The DG in my new to me plane is missing the knob used to adjust the heading. Is there a standard size that can be used? I was thinking of ordering a guitar knob off amazon but it looks like they are made either for a 1/4" shaft or a 6mm shaft. I'm hesitant to order either of these as I think they are both too large. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Why don't you call an avionics shop and tell them what you have, maybe they have some lying around.

Have you looked under the seat? How about below the floor laying on the inside surface of the fabric? I lost a set of keys once in my Citabria and found them by slapping the fabric on the bottom of the fuselage during pre-flights. Eventually they worked their way back to the tailwheel and I found them there. :)

Anything dropped in an aircraft needs to be thoroughly searched for before just replacing it. It’s in the airframe somewhere. You don’t want it getting in the wrong place.

Anything dropped in an aircraft needs to be thoroughly searched for before just replacing it. It’s in the airframe somewhere. You don’t want it getting in the wrong place.
The previous owner's dad took it for another plane a year or two ago, so the story goes. I just bought the plane a couple months ago and knew the knob was gone. I can still push and turn the shaft to align the heading with the compass so it's not a huge problem, but it's something I'd like to correct.

Back