DG is dying....

Matt C

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt C
My DG decided to start spinning in circles yesterday after T&G practice during taxi to pumps. The suction has been normal-ish a bit high at cruise and a bit low at idle. I know that there are other things for AP/IA to check first, but I'm wondering if there are brands that you all like and/or like to stay away from. I did read the only historic thread that I could find on the subject and did take note of the rebuild/trade-in possibilities. Thanks.

Edit - removed a G5 question that doesn't apply.

Last edited:
The G5 is not a replacement for a DG. It's AI or TC, but stupidly not both.

If I didn't have the cash or need to upgrade, I would send it to Rudy Aircraft Instruments and pay $355 to have it overhauled.
I've looked at a G5 turned on but haven't used one so I don't have much to say about it.

The G5 is not a replacement for a DG. It's AI or TC, but stupidly not both.
Thanks for the info. Had someone at the hangar suggest looking into it and haven't had the time yet.

If I didn't have the cash or need to upgrade, I would send it to Rudy Aircraft Instruments and pay $355 to have it overhauled.
I've looked at a G5 turned on but haven't used one so I don't have much to say about it.
Will check them out. Thanks

I can highly recommend www.airdallas.com to repair your aircraft instruments. We took a dead Attitude Indicator to them recently, and we are very happy with cost, turn around time, and promised warranty.

check out www.flyaqi.com. I used them on my horizon and airspeed. I just did the replacement due to time but they do good work and are quick turn around.

Mine is currently in DFW Instruments returning on Monday. Cost $725 rebuild or exchange
Didn't know about Rudy's in the previous post.

Mine was rebuilt only 2-3 years ago and had less than 220 hours when it went south again. That rebuild was MidContinental which now charges $1,125 (mine was $800 there last time I believe) which is why I'm trying a new facility.

Mine is currently in DFW Instruments returning on Monday. Cost $725 rebuild or exchange
Didn't know about Rudy's in the previous post.

Mine was rebuilt only 2-3 years ago and had less than 220 hours when it went south again. That rebuild was MidContinental which now charges $1,125 (mine was $800 there last time I believe) which is why I'm trying a new facility.

Let us know how the experience is from DFW Instruments. Just sent an artificial horizon off to Rudy's yesterday. I like them because they can fix almost anything regardless of age. A lot of companies won't touch old instruments. And it's a older husband and wife running the shop; I like dealing with those kinds of people.

I've used Rudy's twice with good results both time (both on autopilot gyros). Plan to use them again if needed.

What's this going in?

I'd prolly just get it OH'd at Quality Aircraft something like $300. And go with it.

Let us know how the experience is from DFW Instruments. Just sent an artificial horizon off to Rudy's yesterday. I like them because they can fix almost anything regardless of age. A lot of companies won't touch old instruments. And it's a older husband and wife running the shop; I like dealing with those kinds of people.

Will do. Might tell Rudy's I never saw them as a potential when using google and bing. In fact, DFW didn't show up at first until I typed the EXACT part number as a search option.

What's the typical life of a DG before it needs overhaul? I was looking through my logbooks and it looks like it has been a long time since my DG was sent in. Might be thinking it's my turn as well.

AirDallas just did the overhaul on the DG in my Traveler after it decided to suddenly just spin out of control. Turnaround time was not much more than a week.

the Japs still make the best small berrings . the shop at branard hartford will only use them. cant remember his name, but the best shop in the north east.

What's this going in?

I'd prolly just get it OH'd at Quality Aircraft something like $300. And go with it.

I just got an airspeed indicator from them and am happy for the most part. They didn't include a knot scale but I didn't use it all that much anyway. One word of learning curve caution. Don't expect an email from them as to when you may expect your part and the only indication of shipping is a charge on your credit card with no notification of a tracking number. When I asked why they don't provide email they said they aren't staffed for it and that's how they keep their prices low. You just have to call. Oh and their shipping information warns that you "must use air shipment" but that's a farce as well. They shipped mine FedEx ground.

Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts on low cost new units? I see quite a few in the $600-$1,000 range (RC Allen, Falcon, Sigma-Tek). If the re-builds only last a few years, why not go new?

What's the typical life of a DG before it needs overhaul? I was looking through my logbooks and it looks like it has been a long time since my DG was sent in. Might be thinking it's my turn as well.
It would appear that the original in mine lasted ~50 years or there was no log entry for a repair/replacement.....

What's this going in?
'66 C172G

Back