DFW to ATL.. Not Today

I would have gone and picked my way through with XM weather. The radar screen shot shows a nice open area to the south as an out.

Picking your way through storms with XM weather is a pretty terrible idea, which has been illustrated in numerous NTSB reports labeled "fatal", and has been discussed here to death (no pun intended).

I'm not following, LA was a solid CB line top to bottom. South as in out in the gulf?

Pick your way though the line. Done it many times.

The screen shot shows open areas to the south. Also, launch early to avoid day heating and convection. If it gets belows mins land. You have that many hours behind you.

Why are you adverse to landing for fuel?

Picking your way through storms with XM weather is a pretty terrible idea, which has been illustrated in numerous NTSB reports labeled "fatal", and has been discussed here to death (no pun intended).

Done it many times. Set and respect mins.

Done it many times. Set and respect mins.

You already said you did it many times, which only proves you've repeatedly done something that is a bad idea many times.

You already said you did it many times, which only proves you've repeatedly done something that is a bad idea many times.

The OP asked for opinions of piston plane drivers on a go or no go decision. I gave him mine.

I did not ask for yours.

Pick your way though the line. Done it many times.

The screen shot shows open areas to the south. Also, launch early to avoid day heating and convection. If it gets belows mins land. You have that many hours behind you.

Why are you adverse to landing for fuel?

OK I've got it now. That isn't a screen shot, it's a link to active weather radar, those are the conditions now, not Thursday morning.

You didn't read the thread did you? It's OK, I know you didn't, perhaps read it and then let me know what I can do to make better decisions.

It really wasn't too bad, on any given route there were only a few sections that were imminent death if the engine crapped out, most of the time you could land on the right of way or very close to it without getting too badly hurt. That's why I took the PA-12 over the 150, tail wheel and chrome moly = decent crash worthiness, add a 4 point Hooker Harness and a helmet and the chances of flying it into a survivable crash are pretty good. I was crashing stuff at high speed long before I started flying so it doesn't bother me a bunch as long as I can see my crash zone.

BS.gif

The OP asked for opinions of piston plane drivers on a go or no go decision. I gave him mine.

I did not ask for yours.

That is correct, he asked for opinions. By providing yours, you're opening yourself to critique, since we want to make sure the OP receives and uses good advice.

Back