Developing IFR bag

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
I'm trying to assemble some kind of way to have the best resource management while in the cockpit alone.
Using a backpack, doesn't seem efficient or safe for IFR. Having everything thrown in a bag does not seem efficient either. So I'm just seeing how the IFR bag should be set up.
I am sure there are a different way for every pilot, but probably some commonality.
Thanks
Lynn

IPAD check.
Notepad Check.

What else

my instructor has a small suitcase complete with handle and wheels and I follow his example for single pilot IFR. That way I can have a lot of room for the various things I like for IFR.

IPAD check.
Notepad Check.

What else...?

The Pilot? extra epaulets with extra stripes?

Something to add would be batteries and power cables to run iDevices off of ships power

Notepad, iPad with current charts, and whiz-wheel just in case for day. Add a flashlight and spare batteries for night.

I have a lot more stuff in my Brightline bag, but nothing required to conduct that flight.

I carry a Brightline, but honestly I don't know why, maybe it's like a pilots security blanket, I don't know.

I still use a kneepad with a wiz wheel tucked in one pocket and an iPad for all of the actual flying tasks.

My brightline has survival stuff (compass, waterproof matches, etc.), extra batteries, flashlights, etc. Stuff I could either leave in the plane or leave out.

I guess I'm just holding on to the past.

I carry a Brightline that contains an iPad, standby radio, flashlight with batteries, SD cards for the G1000, chargers that plug into ship's power, notepad, pen and pulse oximeter. Weighs maybe 3-4 lbs.

Beats the hell out of my 90's rig: big, heavy flight bag that contained two thick binders of Jepp charts, about a dozen sectional/terminal charts, two binders of VFR airport data (Pilot's Guides to CA and Southwest Airports), headsets, flashlight, batteries, electronic timer, standby radio, kneeboard, notepad and pen. That sucker weighed at least 20 lbs!

iPad. Paper. Several pens. Cell phone. Flashlight if it's night.

KISS

Are you looking for something to carry your gear back and forth to the plane, or a cockpit organization tool for that gear? Exactly what are you using in the cockpit that you need to manage? And the answer may be different based on what you're flying, too -- I lay my gear out somewhat differently in a Cessna 172 versus a Grumman Tiger due to differences in cockpit layout.

But regardless of all that, the most important thing is to minimize the amount of gear you carry. Make sure everything you take in the cockpit is material you really need, not clutter which might only be of some minimal value, and then only in some extraordinary circumstance. Avoid carrying silly tools or space-wasters, e.g. those holding pattern visualizers (which really aren't necessary if you have a fundamental grasp of holding procedures).

Last edited:
I miss my old bag, the tricked out clipboard, and working with all that paper.

Now that I have the iPad mounted where I want it, the challenge is figuring out where to put pencil and paper. If that iPad/FF scratch pad worked just a little better....

There's an advantage to having my own plane and hangars at two airports. My flight bag is a small Victornox laptop case. I carry my Macbook (not used in flight but what I need at any destination), iPAD, a flashlight, pens, the airplane keys, and the CF reader that programs the GPS cards.

There's a brick of AA's in the plane already for the ANR headsets and GPS (An origianl Garmin 195 serial number 9) as well as the cigarette lighter iPAD power cord (as well as the XAON XRX).

90% of my flying is done with the MX20 maps (and Chartview) with the iPAD as backup.
About 60% of my flying is done VFR over a route that I don't even need any navigational tools other than my eyeballs to Navigate (Take off CJR head SE over the town to a point just east of CHO from there directly over the LYH airport, over the dam at Smith Mountain Lake, over the town of Martinsburg, between the two eastern most peaks of the three montains of which the third is Pilot Mountain, NC, then I can usually spot Little Mountain on the horizon that is just beyond my destination of NC26).

Are you looking for something to carry your gear back and forth to the plane, or a cockpit organization tool for that gear? Exactly what are you using in the cockpit that you need to manage? And the answer may be different based on what you're flying, too -- I lay my gear out somewhat differently in a Cessna 172 versus a Grumman Tiger due to differences in cockpit layout.

But regardless of all that, the most important thing is to minimize the amount of gear you carry. Make sure everything you take in the cockpit is material you really need, not clutter which might only be of some minimal value, and then only in some extraordinary circumstance. Avoid carrying silly tools or space-wasters, e.g. those holding pattern visualizers (which really aren't necessary if you have a fundamental grasp of holding procedures).

Ron:
I am getting ready to start my IFR. I really was really looking for a way organize what I needin the cockpit. I am sure when I get into training the cfii will have some suggestions.
I'll be flying a 172R

Thanks

Ron:
I am getting ready to start my IFR. I really was really looking for a way organize what I needin the cockpit. I am sure when I get into training the cfii will have some suggestions.
I'll be flying a 172R

Thanks

All you really need is your iPad with charts, a view limiting device, headset, stopwatch, pen and paper. If you need a rolling suitcase, you're definitely doing it wrong!

I'll be flying a 172R
You strap your kneeboard to your leg, clip your 5x8 pad to the kneeboard, put your pen/pencil in the kneeboard loops, and velcro your timer to the yoke. Put your iPad on the kneeboard or the other leg when in use, and in the left side pocket when not. The headset goes on your head and the vision restricting device goes on your face.

Voila!

You strap your kneeboard to your leg, clip your 5x8 pad to the kneeboard, put your pen/pencil in the kneeboard loops, and velcro your timer to the yoke. Put your iPad on the kneeboard or the other leg when in use, and in the left side pocket when not. The headset goes on your head and the vision restricting device goes on your face.

Voila!

Exactly. One of these organizes the "paper stuff" i.e. the 5X8 pad, pens, checklists, etc. For the Nexus 7 I use a Ram mount on the yoke.

u6ehu3u7.jpg

umy5uvyd.jpg

I think it was called the "Ultimate Kneeboard" or something like that.

For my instrument training and checkride all I had was a 5x8 Lucite clip board, with a Velcro strap as a knee board, a kitchen timer velcroed to one end of my yoke, lots of pens, and the paper charts(the ones I was using for the flight pulled out and in plastic sleeves, extra one possibly necessary in a small looseleaf also in plastic sleeves, and the rest in the looseleaf I held the rest of the charts, and the sectionals and low enroute folded appropriately and accessible). I had a 796 as back up to this and that was kept accessible. I still like the paper charts, even though they are more expensive, I like that the are low weight(I am sensitive to extra weight on the yoke), and unlike the ipad or 796 do not obstruct my view of the G1000 PFD. Oh and lots of pens. I keep one on the yoke, one on the clip board and dozens in the side bag or center storage. That and foggles or the equivalent is all I had. Make sure all your charts are current as well.

For me organization is key, and the way that is done I think differs depending on the individual.

There's an advantage to having my own plane and hangars at two airports. My flight bag is a small Victornox laptop case. I carry my Macbook (not used in flight but what I need at any destination), iPAD, a flashlight, pens, the airplane keys, and the CF reader that programs the GPS cards.

There's a brick of AA's in the plane already for the ANR headsets and GPS (An origianl Garmin 195 serial number 9) as well as the cigarette lighter iPAD power cord (as well as the XAON XRX).

90% of my flying is done with the MX20 maps (and Chartview) with the iPAD as backup.
About 60% of my flying is done VFR over a route that I don't even need any navigational tools other than my eyeballs to Navigate (Take off CJR head SE over the town to a point just east of CHO from there directly over the LYH airport, over the dam at Smith Mountain Lake, over the town of Martinsburg, between the two eastern most peaks of the three montains of which the third is Pilot Mountain, NC, then I can usually spot Little Mountain on the horizon that is just beyond my destination of NC26).

I don't know what MX20 maps are nor Chartview.

Ron:
I'll be flying a 172R

Thanks

I have an Ipad and it fit pretty well between the yoke horns. small clipboard with pen sat on my right leg. make sure you have somewhere to secure a pen. mine kept rolling onto the floor.

for the checkride, I don't recommend relying on the ipad. instead, use the paper plates with the approaches you need. IMO it's easier to flip between a few pages of paper.

Last edited:
Hi Lynn.

I had an old laptop case for foggles, charts, plotter, whiz wheel, pens, logbook and my knee board (as Cap'n Ron described). That got me through the IR. I still have the old laptop case and use it, although not consistently since I now own and fly my own airplane. I leave a lot of stuff in it.

I carry a lot of stuff in my bag, but it's generally in the back seat or luggage compartment. I clip my CO detector on the keychain (it already saved me once), have my iPad strapped to my knee with a pad of paper and a pencil. At night or in the cold i attach my Spot locator to myself. Flashlight on my hip for night. That's all I need in flight.

For pen management, I wrap side-A velcro around the pen body, then have side-B on the yoke. Generally two pens on the yoke that way.

And, I have a pen on a yellow string that I clip to my kneeboard.

I can't seem to use the ipad mini Foreflight scratchpad with my finger in the plane.. I end up all over the place or cant read what I just wrote.

good luck!

-Mike

I carry a Brightline that contains an iPad, standby radio, flashlight with batteries, SD cards for the G1000, chargers that plug into ship's power, notepad, pen and pulse oximeter. Weighs maybe 3-4 lbs.

!

Very similar.

Sporty's traditional bag, knee board, blank flight brief cards, headsets (2), handheld radio, 2 white flashlights, 1 red flashlight, pulse oximeter, power cords for cig lighter adapters, pens, highlighters, spare charts, quick reference binder and checklists, logbook, sick sacks, emergency potty bags, small O2 inhalers (supplemental only), manual whiz-wheel, iPad Ram mount. Maybe 10-12 lbs.

Oh yeah, updated iPad and iPhone, both fully charged.

I have a separate survival bag with all kinds of small goodies, mainly thermal blankets, fire starters, signal devices, etc. 5lbs, 18" long.

Everyone, thank you so much for the varied inputs, ideas and suggestions.
I now can start putting "my" bag together and not reinvent the wheel.

Lynn

Everyone, thank you so much for the varied inputs, ideas and suggestions.
I now can start putting "my" bag together and not reinvent the wheel.

Lynn

This is the bag I purchased. I have only had for a short while but I can tell you I fell in love with it on my recent Seattle to San Francisco flight. It sits perfect in front of/between the seats of the C182. It is easily accessible in flight from above through the top opening. It has a number of pockets and pouches throughout including an internal slot for a tablet. My kneeboard retrieves and stows from the top too. Lower outside pocket holds my Flashlight and Garmin GDL39 w/battery. It comes with a quality shoulder strap that's not shown. It makes a really nice IFR setup.

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/15900

Last edited:
my instructor has a small suitcase complete with handle and wheels and I follow his example for single pilot IFR. That way I can have a lot of room for the various things I like for IFR.

Oh jeeze!

I got a little soft bag,

moleskine pad of paper, pen, calculator, flashlight, handheld nav/com, GPS, spare batteries and 12v charger. charts and plates, ruler and plotter for planning, leatherman.

policestuff_2265_504876540

I only bring it one L O N G trips, it's main purpose is a backup for my onboard electrical system and for planning.

A wheelie suticase is a redflag for a renter at our school.

Last edited:
A wheelie suticase is a redflag for a renter at our school.

Heh. We had a CFII around here with a bad back who used one. Nice guy, young too. He'd tell ya the reason if you asked. Army stuff munched his back.

If he lugged a bag to the flight line every day multiple times a day, he'd be laid up in bed for days.

He couldn't afford the down-time, but he could afford a nice light wheelie bag.

Everyone has their crosses to bear. His was his back.

The less the better. Charts or EFB, pencil & paper (you can always write on the charts) flashlight at night.
On routine flights, you've studied everything so there should be few surprises. As you get the clearance, you set the panel. You should know the runway, frequencies, etc so they can be preset. The GPS is pretty much set up. As the clearance is read, you enter or verify the data so you don't have to write it down. An enroute clearance change you might want to write down if it's complicated.
Writing things down takes time, can be distracting and should be used as required, not every time. Do you write down a new frequency or just enter it directly? If it's a known frequency, you probably have it in standby, anyway, as when anticipating a change from approach to tower.
Look at a clearance readout like a flow chart and get used to entering as it's read. Every long time charter pilot I ever flew with did it that way. Very, very seldom saw them write down a clearance, except where there was a complicated one. You canb always say "say again" if you miss a piece of info.
All this keep you from looking down at your lap, hunting for a pencil, chasing a piece of paper when you could be flying the airplane and directly entering the info.

I have two bags, a smaller "local" bag and a "trip" bag.

The local bag has headset, kneeboard, fuel tester, pens, sunglasses, a couple of flashlights, etc.

The trip bag has charts, a spare headset, plates, and other stuff.

For a local flight as safety pilot or PNF I will typically just grab a few things from the local bag and go, leaving both bags on the ground.

For local, PF, I'll take the local bag plus grab a chart out of the trip bag. Yes, I still like paper. I'll also take plates from the trip bag of course if I'm practicing.

For trips, it's usually both bags.

I've started flying with a Nexus 7 and Garmin Pilot, but for me that's more of a toy than a tool. Maybe that will change with experience, but I've flown with moving maps and tablets off and on for many years (Compaq TC1100 ~2004 initially) and have always felt that the active displays and consequent poor readability in GA cockpits/bright light were a fatal flaw in the whole concept.

iPad, iPhone, pad of post-it notes, two pens, two light sources (flashlight and headlamp),

I found that one of the plastic boxes from Staples that you use to store magazines vertically on a book shelf fits very well between the front seats behind the flap lever on a Cherokee. Any thing that I needed to be able to get my hands on during flight that wasn't mounted to the plane or my body went into it. This was after I lost my approach plates on an instrument flight. They had fallen off of the passenger seat down into the crack between the seat and the door. Of course, this was pre- i this and i that.

I found the gleam bag they give out at air shows to work great.carry IPad flashlight extra batteries.Ipad power cord. And cell phone.since I own my own plane headsets and goggles stay on plane. Good luck

Back