Determined to Finish the Instrument Rating

17romeo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
17romeo
Hello folks. Long time listener, first time caller.

A little background on myself. Private pilot since 2001 and have worked on the instrument rating off and on for nearly 10 years now.

I'm determined to finally finish up this year. However, there are too many distractions between work and home to successfully do so. In the last few weeks I've been studying up for the written when able. Just unable to completely disconnect and dive into the material.

I would like to attend a weekend ground school and was hoping the group would have some recommendations on where to go....or more importantly where to avoid. So far my initial prospects are courses by "Aviation Ground Schools", "American Flyers" and "Aviation Seminars".

Farther down the road, I'll be looking at IFR Finish-Up program.

I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks,

Rod

If it's a priority, you'll find the time and get focused. There are no shortcuts when it comes to the IR.

Where in East TN are you?
I am based at 0A9.

Hello neighbor! I'm based at TRI.
You must be using Advanced Flight Training at TRI.

I took about 1 year to get my instrument rating and had about 10 different instructors during that time. This was largely due to my working out of state and the location of the out of state job changed frequently during that time frame. The instrument rating is great but I believe if one does not use it frequently it is easy to get rusty and as such a potential hazard.

Good luck, Rod. It is a good and worthwhile rating to pursue. Forane is right, though. For a lot of us that don't fly for a living, it is difficult to stay current and proficient. It can be done though, if one is determined.

I don't have any recommendations for a weekend ground school. I used the King videos. There was a lot of information there. The hardest part for me was staying awake and focused. I easily passed the written, though. The advantages, as far as I am concerned, is that you can spend more time on the things that are difficult for you, you can go back and watch a session is you didn't understand or need to review, and you can go through the program at your schedule. If you are on the road a lot like I was, you can take the course with you and watch it in the hotel room.

After you have to stop a flight,or cancel one,due to low clouds,you will have the incentive to finish. You have to have a desire to fly in marginal weather,to get the rating.

After you have to stop a flight,or cancel one,due to low clouds,you will have the incentive to finish. You have to have a desire to fly in marginal weather,to get the rating.

I canceled an important-to-me flight about half an hour into it, as the forecast mountain obscuration in E. KY didn't clear up as forecast. Mom was already en route to meet me to go to her family reunion . . . This was just a month after I was almost stuck between layers coming home from vacation a day early to beat the weather, and had to (very thankfully!) leave the plane on the ground in Roanoke, a 5 hour drive away.

All it takes is the proper motivation to get your attention.

Seriously? Skip it until you can focus. Even with the rating in pocket, you will be in no condition to use it.

I appreciate the honest feedback, gentlemen.

Back