Descend at your Discretion

They are probably doing this to help you, possibly because of an approach or departure path. When coming off the LAX coastal route, it is pretty common for them to give you a "resume own navigation" right as you leave, or even before you cross the line out of the LAX Bravo. The reason is that the route puts you right on the departure from VNY, so they don't want you getting too close, without either getting in the downwind or turning out of the way.

They are probably doing this to help you, possibly because of an approach or departure path. When coming off the LAX coastal route, it is pretty common for them to give you a "resume own navigation" right as you leave, or even before you cross the line out of the LAX Bravo. The reason is that the route puts you right on the departure from VNY, so they don't want you getting too close, without either getting in the downwind or turning out of the way.

What post are you replying to here

Not sure I understand how "resume own nav" helps deconflict traffic, as opposed to giving another vector/assigned altitude. Also, to my understanding, "resume own nav" only terminates a course or heading instruction and does not release the pilot from an assigned altitude.

So this sounds rather orthogonal to the original point of the thread, though it's a pretty old thread and I admit I haven't reread it since January.

Back