Depression and flying

I wasn't the happiest person when I was 15 either. Many reasons for that, the primary being a poor family situation. I also had essentially no friends and a less than pleasant experience in school each day. I was in the worse shape of my life.

What did I do? Shortly after I turned 16, I accepted I was the only one who could change things... I identified everything that was making me unhappy and fixed them:

1. Dropped out of high school since it was a negative experience where I was essentially just harassed daily.

2. Moved out of my parents house and didn't look back

3. Worked around the clock and jumped at any opportunity that came my way. In my younger years work was all I had. No friends, no family support. Just work. Turns out that's not so bad, nothing comes free.

4. Learned how to actually eat, started excerising daily, and dropped 40 lbs in a year.

I eventually determined that happiness does not come free and one has to chase whatever will make them happy. That journey and the results it yields will bring you true happiness. It can't be gained with a pill or 30 minutes in some shrinks office once a month.

I'm 26 now. I'm most certainly not what my school consoler assured me I would become by dropping out. I bought my house when I was 21, have an airplane, motorcycle, few boats, few cars, cfi, etc. I am able to do what I want. No regrets and I'm incredibly happy and satisfied with life.

No two journeys will be the same. Own your life. I'm most certainly not saying you should do what I did. What I'm saying is that you should figure out what makes you unhappy and then work to fix it. Don't expect it to be easy or fast, nothing done right is.

One of my parents always felt that one is entitled to happiness and "feeling good" and that any problem is best fixed easily with a pill. Had I cooperated I would have been drugged up and my life wouldn't be even close to what it is today. I'm damn glad I resisted that nonsense. FWIW, that parent, is in pretty rough shape these days from trying to fix things with prescription drugs and has had their life fall apart. Sad.

YMMV, just one guys opinion. Certainly not a professional.

Last edited:
I certainly can relate to junior high and high school being a horrible experience. I was on a lot of medications trying to overcome bleeding disorder and it was ruining my life and I was ready to let it. Many folks would probably call me reckless back then, driving motorcycles like I stole them knowing very well I wouldn't survive an accident etc. Flying seemed to hold my attention pretty well but there is no way I could make steady living as a pilot with my health difficulties, so I chose to persue aircraft maintenance after my 5th year in high school. I went to a small Vo Tech school that is probably one of the cheapest places in the nation and had a blast there, despite still battling health problems.

Long story short, I'm now a triple amputee with Airframe and Powerplant certificates that can't really do maintenance full time, so I ended up with a desk career. Going back to work after all my amputations was the best descision of my life. I feel like crap sitting on my butt and I swear it physically makes me ill so I'm always trying to do something.

I was treated for depression when I was 16, before I started flying. It was related to my amputation, and was only counseling. I did have to get a letter from my Dr. that stated I was not a risk to myself or others but I ended up with a clear path and went on to earn a Commercial license and have held a 1st Class Medical along with a Statement of Demonstrated Ability Waiver (for my amputation) for many years now.

As others have suggested, if you need treatment, get it first, start with counseling before going to medication - when you are a teenager you will be surprised how much help just being able to talk to someone who knows how to listen can be, it was instrumental for me to deal with anger and depression following my amputation.

If you seek treatment be sure and explain your concerns to the Dr. with respect to how a diagnosis is made.

That said, if you seek counseling, be honest about it with the AME when the time comes.

If you end up on medication, be honest about it with the AME when the time comes.

Best of luck.

'Gimp

Hah, I should have checked the last page, Brian beat me to it.

Look, if a couple of gimps like us can make it, anyone can...

;^)

'Gimp

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back