Depressed in Dallas

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I stuffed my headset, logbook, and other pilot stuff into my backpack for my visit to Dallas, and here I am earthbound! I couldn't fly today, nothing available tomorrow, and no area pilots to meet! I'm bummed out!

I really only had a few hours tomorrow morning, which of course severely limited my time, but I'm still bummed. I had cancelled my weekly IFR lesson this past Wednesday thinking that at least I'd do something in Dallas.

Oh, woe is me! I'll just have to wait for my lesson on Thursday. Maybe I'll take an extra long one! Yeah--that's a good idea.

I'm such a spoiled brat! :(

Poor Ben!

I spent 2 days in seattle a few weeks ago - I so wanted to explore the Boeing plant and museum and go up with a local CFI and sight see from the air, but there just wasn't time. I know how you feel!

Hang in there!

wangmyers said:
I'm such a spoiled brat! :(

You said it, not us! I haven't flown for three weeks! I had to go on a trip and then, while on the trip, I got very sick, and so had to spend the next weekend in bed. It was a three-day weekend and it was GORGEOUS!

So, you see, there's always someone worse off than you. ;)

Judy

Yep, I'm spoiled all right! I don't feel so bad today because it looks dreary and is going to rain. Wait! Maybe I could've found a CFII and done some. . . . .

Sorry, Ben, that it didn't work out for me to get up there.

The shop just called - plane is ready. I need to take a test flight. It's pouring rain, vis of 2-3, ceilings of 700 (solid). Not a day I'll do the post-maintenance test...... TSRA coming this afternoon.

Not a problem. I'm actually having a great time with family.

wangmyers said:
Yep, I'm spoiled all right! I don't feel so bad today because it looks dreary and is going to rain. Wait! Maybe I could've found a CFII and done some. . . . .

I'm spoiled too, but I can complain no more. I got to fly this morning! It was beautiful, but just being in the air was beautiful. My landings sucked--amazing how quickly one loses "the touch"--but it felt SOOOOO good to be on the controls again.

Judy

judypilot said:
I'm spoiled too, but I can complain no more. I got to fly this morning! It was beautiful, but just being in the air was beautiful. My landings sucked--amazing how quickly one loses "the touch"--but it felt SOOOOO good to be on the controls again.

Judy

At least you got to fly. The fog didn't clear off until mid afternoon over here in Olympia. And my wife fell off a ladder last Saturday and shattered her left shoulder blade, so I really need to around the house as much as possible. :mad: And I do mean shattered. I picked up the X-rays and CAT scan films for her appointment on Wednesday with the orthopedist. Even this layman can see the problem on those pictures. No wonder she hurts.

Ghery

Ghery said:
At least you got to fly. The fog didn't clear off until mid afternoon over here in Olympia. And my wife fell off a ladder last Saturday and shattered her left shoulder blade, so I really need to around the house as much as possible. :mad: And I do mean shattered. I picked up the X-rays and CAT scan films for her appointment on Wednesday with the orthopedist. Even this layman can see the problem on those pictures. No wonder she hurts.

Ghery

Oh Ghery, that's awful. Please give her my best. Yes, she does need help. That sounds like a long recovery.

And, then, as if that weren't bad enough, the Cougs lost a squeaker to the Wildcats that they should have won. I was at that game as a Wildcat fan, but since the Cougs led 99% of the game, even I felt a twinge of sympathy when they ended up losing. OTOH, they ended up losing by doing the same thing they'd done all game, not getting their shot off. On about 90% of the possessions, they cut it so close that the crowd was counting down the shot clock for them. They usually shot having eaten up 30 secs on the shot clock, and at the end of the game, they only had 10, but acted like they still had 35. Oh well.
:( for you, :D for me.

Judy

That is a very painful hit. I hope it is at least on her non-handed side (e.g, right handed, left shoulder).

wsuffa said:
Sorry, Ben, that it didn't work out for me to get up there.

The shop just called - plane is ready. I need to take a test flight. It's pouring rain, vis of 2-3, ceilings of 700 (solid). Not a day I'll do the post-maintenance test...... TSRA coming this afternoon.

My plane just came out of annual Friday. 1st annual with me as owner - always makes me a little nervious. Saturday was spent putting it back together and putting the interior back in it. Finally got to do the test flight yesterday afternoon. Plane performed great. Good to be back in the air again with everything inspected and lubricated.

Today doesn't look as good though. :cheerio:

Mark

Mark S said:
My plane just came out of annual Friday. 1st annual with me as owner - always makes me a little nervious. Saturday was spent putting it back together and putting the interior back in it. Finally got to do the test flight yesterday afternoon. Plane performed great. Good to be back in the air again with everything inspected and lubricated.

Mark

Mark~
Glad there no real surprises during the "first" annual! I know I tend to hold my breath a little each year, even when I know things are up to snuff going in to it...

Fly safe!

Mark S said:

Mark

That's great news, Mark.

We FINALLY got a good day. I got the test flight done, performs well. And the next few days are supposed to be good too....

Now, if I can just get the CFI lined up, I can get the commercial finished up in the next week or two. :)

Ghery said:

Ghery

Oh, man, Ghery, that's bad news.

Best wishes for a quick recovery from here....

wsuffa said:
Now, if I can just get the CFI lined up, I can get the commercial finished up in the next week or two. :)

Ah, the Commercial. I've decided to make that my next rating and to start on it pretty soon. About time I got off my lazy butt and got another rating.

Mark

bbchien said:
That is a very painful hit. I hope it is at least on her non-handed side (e.g, right handed, left shoulder).

Fortunately, that is the case. Needless to say, she hasn't really found a position that is comfortable. Sitting, standing, lying in bed. None of them work. She has an appointment with the orthopedist on Wednesday. I'm no doctor, but the way I read the CAT scans I can't see him not operating on that mess. We'll see...

Ghery

judypilot said:
Oh Ghery, that's awful. Please give her my best. Yes, she does need help. That sounds like a long recovery.

And, then, as if that weren't bad enough, the Cougs lost a squeaker to the Wildcats that they should have won. I was at that game as a Wildcat fan, but since the Cougs led 99% of the game, even I felt a twinge of sympathy when they ended up losing. OTOH, they ended up losing by doing the same thing they'd done all game, not getting their shot off. On about 90% of the possessions, they cut it so close that the crowd was counting down the shot clock for them. They usually shot having eaten up 30 secs on the shot clock, and at the end of the game, they only had 10, but acted like they still had 35. Oh well.
:( for you, :D for me.

Judy

Thanks, Judy. Well, we beat the Sun Devils on Saturday. This season is much better than last and I expect next year will be even better. I think hiring Bennet was a good move for the Cougars. Now, why couldn't you guys have beaten the huskies yesterday? :mad: My two favorite teams are the Cougars and anybody who is playing the huskies.

Ghery

Mark S said:
Ah, the Commercial. I've decided to make that my next rating and to start on it pretty soon. About time I got off my lazy butt and got another rating.

Mark
I hope you have better luck than I have had. I have gotten to "checkride scheduled" three times for commercial, and all three times something happened to destroy my schedule for long enough that getting back to checkride status was more than just a tuneup ride. I officially gave up on it, since I don't need the priviledges.

Sorry Ben. Bunch of us met up in Llano, Texas for Bar-B-Q today. Great day and great group of folks. Wish I had known you were available.

Dave

Sorry I missed you! I'm back in Maryland now, but we should get together next time. I'd like to see your A36; maybe give it a test drive? I really enjoyed my short but sweet F33 experience. I didn't find the Deb difficult to land at all (contrary to what I'd heard).

wangmyers said:
I didn't find the Deb difficult to land at all (contrary to what I'd heard).

A Bonanza difficult to land? Someone's been telling you stories. There's not much out there any easier to land than a Bo.

Right Diana?

Chip

gibbons said:
A Bonanza difficult to land? Someone's been telling you stories. There's not much out there any easier to land than a Bo.

Right Diana?

Chip

Well, it helps when you have good instruction. :)

wangmyers said:
I stuffed my headset, logbook, and other pilot stuff into my backpack for my visit to Dallas, and here I am earthbound! I couldn't fly today, nothing available tomorrow, and no area pilots to meet! I'm bummed out!

I didn't even know you were in town, Ben! How long are you here? Or have you already left?

Troy Whistman
Fort Worth

Ben:

Let me know when you're next in. Perhaps Troy, you and I can link up. My A-36 is a little different than most; it's pretty doggy below 5,000; especially in the summer. Start grinning about 5,000 and starts leaving Barons about 13,000 and up. Different kind of flying.

It's be fun and we can see who else is around.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

Thanks, guys. Yep, I'm back in snowy Maryland!

gibbons said:
Chip

That is so true. IMO you have to work at it to make a bad landing in a Bo, they almost land themselves. Sometimes I think "looking good on the landing" was the real reason that doctors loved them.

Bos are very tolerate of over speed landings. I did a BFR on a retire AF Colonel who landed at 100 mph. Really. Unbelievable.

Back