Departure Procedures that follow LOC/Glideslope Out

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
Anyone aware of procedures to fly out of an airport following the LOC/Glideslope (or maybe using GPS guidance).

I saw it mentioned in technical material for an aircraft HUD system (large system), but I don't recall seeing anything like that when I got my instrument rating.

Anyone aware of procedures to fly out of an airport following the LOC/Glideslope (or maybe using GPS guidance).

I saw it mentioned in technical material for an aircraft HUD system (large system), but I don't recall seeing anything like that when I got my instrument rating.
Are you talking about a DP that uses say a LOC BC up to a certain altitude then a turn?

Actually, you follow the LOC only on lost comms there. LINDZ EIGHT might be a better example (also out of KASE).

There are procedures that include a LOC or LOC BC but not any that I've ever heard of that require an aircraft to climb via the GS. Not sure why they'd want to limit the climb angle to 3 degrees anyway. Many aircraft can beat that easily.

There is no criteria in the TERPS for following a GS out from the runway. Wouldn't make sense anyway - the climb gradient would just be specified as 318 ft per nm if obstacles warranted it (the standard being 200 feet per nm).

Why would you want to climb via the GS. That's pretty shallow. On a miss, I'm going to max climb until I get to the procedure altitude. No half assed go arounds, there's no practical reason to stay low.

Aspen has been mentioned, but RNO is another airport that has a few SIDs that require following a localizer outbound.

Back