Departing with flaps.

Interesting.

One thing I disagree with is not putting down full flaps for preflight, because, to paraphrase, “You might forget to raise them again”. Full down is often the only way to get a good look at the flap hardware.

One should not ever have to “remember” to raise the flaps, or to set them to takeoff position - that’s why we have checklists, and why checklist discipline is so important.

Interesting.

One thing I disagree with is not putting down full flaps for preflight, because, to paraphrase, “You might forget to raise them again”. Full down is often the only way to get a good look at the flap hardware.

One should not ever have to “remember” to raise the flaps, or to set them to takeoff position - that’s why we have checklists, and why checklist discipline is so important.

I look at flaps and gear like eating food. I don't need a checklist to remind me to chew or to swallow, you just do it. I haven't used a printed (nor an electronic) checklist on the Comanche in almost 10 years.

Interesting.

After landing, we leave the flaps down on the Mooney. Park it that way, they don't come back (partway) up until running the departure checklist when they come up to takeoff position. Why leave them down? Flaps on a Mooney are a NO STEP, so by leaving them all the way down it is almost impossible for someone to step on them. This guy put his up.

20160903_152823.jpg.386ffcf870acc261fcb317533fdee519.jpg

I can tell you in the Navion a full flap departure has a very slow ground roll, but she climbs like a dog after that.

A 180 hp C-172N will take off with 30 degrees of flaps out in the breeze. It doesn't go very fast with them hanging out, but it will take off. Or so I've been told. :rolleyes:

If you have to ask the question - the answer is simple, don’t do it.

Some airplanes, in the right conditions, will be able to takeoff with full flaps. Change the conditions and they won’t be able to.

Other airplanes, in the best conditions, may get off the runway but absolutely won’t climb after that.

Ever done a traffic pattern at 40 ft AGL because your flaps are jammed and the ****er won’t climb? I have. It’s not that much fun. It’s also a great way to crash. (Told a student to go around, student did, flaps didn’t retract, we were out of runway, At full power, and on the edge of a stall. Went from everything being great to having a real pickle of a problem 20 seconds later)

So, can it be done? Sure. In the right airplane, in the right conditions, with the right pilot.

Would it be legal? Not without a ferry permit. Would the FAA issue a permit? Depends on the FSDO, but around here, I’d say your chances would be slim. Zero if it were a Cessna stuck at 40 degrees.

Flight control problems of any type are not something to **** around with.

Back