Departing VFR

gms5002

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
gms5002
Question about departing VFR - Say it's a CAVU day and I file an IFR flight plan. I call CD/Approach on the phone and get my clearance but I'm not sure how long I'll need to depart because I need to load pax, run up etc. If I depart VFR, will I need to copy and read back my clearance again once airborne? Or will they just tell me to squawk 1234 and send me on my way once clear of traffic?

Question about departing VFR - Say it's a CAVU day and I file an IFR flight plan. I call CD/Approach on the phone and get my clearance but I'm not sure how long I'll need to depart because I need to load pax, run up etc. If I depart VFR, will I need to copy and read back my clearance again once airborne? Or will they just tell me to squawk 1234 and send me on my way once clear of traffic?

When you get your clearance, you get a "departure by"(Void) time. It's a pretty small window, so normally, you want to call them when you are ready to go.

If you can't make that time, your clearance is void and you have to call them back to check in.

After that you will need a new clearance.

Or...call the facility and inform ATC that you will be departing VFR and would like a heads up of the frequency, squawk, and route. Let the facility know what time you think you'll depart, and that you plan on receiving your clearance in the air.

I wouldn't bother getting the clearance ahead of time. If you're not inside the DC Pain In The Ass Airspace, and departing from a non-towered field, just call up whoever you would for flight following, and say you want your clearance.

Or...call the facility and inform ATC that you will be departing VFR and would like a heads up of the frequency, squawk, and route. Let the facility know what time you think you'll depart, and that you plan on receiving your clearance in the air.

Thanks, I think this is what I was probably looking for. I like to call before engine start to get my route for the GPS and usually just get a release in 10 minutes. But I'm not sure if I could make that if I had to load up four people and I want to avoid fumbling around with my phone again at the hold short line while everyone is sweating.

Take off VFR,and when you can reach them,ask for your clearance. They may however read you the entire route over the radio.

I take off VFR and usually once I call approach they immediately ask me if I want to obtain my IFR clearance. So I'd file and wait until your airborn to get it. And yes you will get your clearance just like in the ground so be ready to copy and read back.

I take off VFR and usually once I call approach they immediately ask me if I want to obtain my IFR clearance. So I'd file and wait until your airborn to get it. And yes you will get your clearance just like in the ground so be ready to copy and read back.

I might understand that if your clearance is "cleared as filed," but what if you get something like

Cessna 123AB cleared to Panoche Papa Xray Echo VOR turn left heading 290 radar vectors San Jose SUNOL intersection Victor 301 climb and maintain 3000 expect 5000 after 5 minutes expect further clearance in three zero minutes squawk 4294

You get to copy that and read it back correctly before reaching 700 feet! Well, actually even less 'cause that route takes you directly into a Class C surface area (from KRHV). I don't think that could be stated and repeated over the radio in the 45 seconds or so it takes to get there in a 182.

That wouldn't bother me quite as much if it were an amended clearance and you're at 7000 feet…

I'd rather have a void time….

Last edited:
I might understand that if your clearance is "cleared as filed," but what if you get something like

Cessna 123AB cleared to Panoche Papa Xray Echo VOR turn left heading 290 radar vectors San Jose SUNOL intersection Victor 301 climb and maintain 3000 expect 5000 after 5 minutes expect further clearance in three zero minutes squawk 4294

You get to copy that and read it back correctly before reaching 700 feet! Well, actually even less 'cause that route takes you directly into a Class C surface area (from KRHV). I don't think that could be stated and repeated over the radio in the 45 seconds or so it takes to get there in a 182.

That wouldn't bother me quite as much if it were an amended clearance and you're at 7000 feet…

Since when can you not climb above 700' on a CAVU day as stated in the OP?

Since when can you not climb above 700' on a CAVU day as stated in the OP?

Well, you're right, but I still think it's safer to do this on the ground if you have the option.

Lots of traffic in the vicinity of an airport, and this would seem to be a big increase in workload at just that time.

For the route given, you could easily be departing at night (when the tower is closed), and San Jose is having its evening push. Evening is usually CAVU this time of year (unlike morning), but the arriving airliner traffic gets real heavy around 9PM.

If it is convenient or you have a simple way of getting clearance such as tower or radio why not. If in boondocks in the air works very well. Even out of Tampa a air clearence out of small satellite airports seems to work much simpler. Doesn't seem they vector you around as much.

More than one way to skin a cat. I see your point but he did say CAVU. Me personally on an actual IMC day Ill get a void time. Otherwise I usually pick it up in the air. Especially leaving a busy place, last place I want to be is waiting for 10 minutes on the ground for my release. Take off VFR and pick it up. More efficient, especially on a CAVU day.

Well, you're right, but I still think it's safer to do this on the ground if you have the option.

Lots of traffic in the vicinity of an airport, and this would seem to be a big increase in workload at just that time.

For the route given, you could easily be departing at night (when the tower is closed), and San Jose is having its evening push. Evening is usually CAVU this time of year (unlike morning), but the arriving airliner traffic gets real heavy around 9PM.

Ehh, based on that clearance assuming you missed a via before radar vectors, I just turn 290, climb to 3k and when I get a chance dial in SUNOL on the GPS, or set up the CDI.

I turn 290 and write down
V
SJC
SUNOL
5000/5
EFC/30
Then read back

Takes 15-20 seconds on my end.

After I'm headed toward San Jose, then I worry about setting up the rest of the flight. No need to do everything right away.

Also, I don't think one would get the clearance you offered, since the Panoche VOR is PXN, not PXE (which is an airport 1886nm from SUNOL - and most definitely not on V-301).

Last edited:
Question about departing VFR - Say it's a CAVU day and I file an IFR flight plan. I call CD/Approach on the phone and get my clearance but I'm not sure how long I'll need to depart because I need to load pax, run up etc.
Then you tell them how long you think it will be (say, 20 minutes), and they will give you a "hold for release" clearance. You get the route/altitude/squawk/freq, but also an instruction to "hold for release". They will then tell you to call back when you're ready to take off (engine running, run-up complete, route loaded in the GPS, etc,), and they will give you the release for IFR departure and a short (3-5 minute) void time -- and off you go.

If I depart VFR, will I need to copy and read back my clearance again once airborne?
If you were given a "hold for release" clearance and take off without obtaining a release, or if you get a clearance and release with a void time and take off after your void time, they will be very upset with you. You can certainly take off VFR without having obtained a clearance, but then you're at the mercy of a lot of factors including other traffic and controller workload as to getting your IFR clearance in the air.

Then you tell them how long you think it will be (say, 20 minutes), and they will give you a "hold for release" clearance. You get the route/altitude/squawk/freq, but also an instruction to "hold for release". They will then tell you to call back when you're ready to take off (engine running, run-up complete, route loaded in the GPS, etc,), and they will give you the release for IFR departure and a short (3-5 minute) void time -- and off you go.

Maybe at an airport without any other IFR traffic...we do this occasionally with our uncontrolled airport if our traffic levels have died down. I got burned doing this...so I've stopped engaging in the practice.

Easiest is to file via Foreflight or fltplan.com. I use fltplan.com. You will get your clearance in email/text message up to an hour before your departure time. Then all you do is depart VFR with your clearance already written down and request it in the air. There is no stress because you already have it and have already programmed it into your flight plan. Just make sure you keep checking your email because it will sometimes change at the last minute. I hate copying complicated clearances down over the radio so I do this all the time.

Just pick it up in the air. I've done this when I can depart VFR, but I get some PITA IFR routing, I'll just depart VFR with flight following, once I get out of all the junk I'll pick up a IFR more or less direct to my destination. Saves time and headache.

I wouldn't bother getting the clearance ahead of time. If you're not inside the DC Pain In The Ass Airspace, and departing from a non-towered field, just call up whoever you would for flight following, and say you want your clearance.
This is one of those "it depends" things. Anywhere I've flown in Michigan, I'd agree with you. If the MIA is xxxx feet they typically ask you if you can maintain your own terrain and obstruction clearance through xxxx. In Vermont, if you try to pick up in the air ZBW will tell you they can't give you the clearance until you reach xxxx. If that happens to be in the clouds, tough teletubbies. Or they word it as "reaching xxxx feet cleared to Nashua airport via..." or whatever. Even so you can usually GET the clearance before entering the clouds with a little finagling, but it's a hassle. Today when I drove to the airport to leave for Michigan there was a low cloud deck that was in the process of scattering out. By the time I was ready to depart I could have gotten above it okay VFR, but it was really no harder to just call them up on the ground. For reasons I don't understand, that actually works - they give you the void time clearance with no restrictions on the altitude at which it takes effect, and usually no heading restriction either, maybe because there's so little traffic it's not needed.

After you've flown under IFR for a while you'll start to get a feel for when to slip between VFR and IFR. At my home drone, departing VFR is on a IFR flight is atandRd procedure; otherwise we have to wait for ATC to find a gap in arrivals at DCA. It's generally not a problem as we must call the Tracon to get our squawk code, so we pick up our expected clearance at the same time. Makes everyone's life easier if there's at least a 1,800 ceiling.

OP, you're making a non-issue into a large problem. Do you enjoy complicating your life?

Just depart VFR and pick the stupid thing up in the air.

If it's VFR and you can expect to remain VFR at a safe altitude for awhile after departure, it's better just to depart and then pick-up your clearance from ATC once airborne. Then you're just on your way. Once you have accepted a clearance, you could get busted if you departed on your IFR flight plan before your release time, even if it's VFR.

Maybe at an airport without any other IFR traffic...we do this occasionally with our uncontrolled airport if our traffic levels have died down. I got burned doing this...so I've stopped engaging in the practice.
That may be your personal decision, but I find it works all over the Eastern 1/3 of the USA just fine, including some really busy places like around Solberg NJ with NY TRACON.

Easiest is to file via Foreflight or fltplan.com. I use fltplan.com. You will get your clearance in email/text message up to an hour before your departure time.
You do not get your clearance like that. What you get is an expected routing, and what you get from ATC isn't always the same as what you got in that email/text.

Then all you do is depart VFR with your clearance already written down and request it in the air.
You can do that, but there's no greater guarantee of actually getting your clearance from ATC promptly with that method than with any other method which involves departing VFR. You are always at the mercy of other traffic and ATC workload, so you could have a very long wait for a clearance if you're at the bottom of their IFR priority list.

That's what happened in this accident, in which the crew launched into very marginal VFR conditions and then was unable to avoid running into something hard when ATC told them it would be a while before they'd get their clearance. Any time you launch VFR intending to pick up your IFR clearance in the air, you'd better have a solid gold VFR alternative plan (which might only be turning around and landing where you took off) because even with a text/email route, there's no guarantee of prompt issuance of a clearance.

Last edited:
This is one of those "it depends" things. Anywhere I've flown in Michigan, I'd agree with you. If the MIA is xxxx feet they typically ask you if you can maintain your own terrain and obstruction clearance through xxxx. In Vermont, if you try to pick up in the air ZBW will tell you they can't give you the clearance until you reach xxxx. If that happens to be in the clouds, tough teletubbies. Or they word it as "reaching xxxx feet cleared to Nashua airport via..." or whatever. Even so you can usually GET the clearance before entering the clouds with a little finagling, but it's a hassle. Today when I drove to the airport to leave for Michigan there was a low cloud deck that was in the process of scattering out. By the time I was ready to depart I could have gotten above it okay VFR, but it was really no harder to just call them up on the ground. For reasons I don't understand, that actually works - they give you the void time clearance with no restrictions on the altitude at which it takes effect, and usually no heading restriction either, maybe because there's so little traffic it's not needed.

He said CAVU though. Clouds don't exist in the scenario.

He said CAVU though. Clouds don't exist in the scenario.
I know. I was just countering the general "always depart VFR if you can" tone of the thread, since there are places where it's not a good idea even when under the same wx conditions it would be fine somewhere else.

How did you get burned? Did the guy depart with a "hold for release" instruction?

I know. I was just countering the general "always depart VFR if you can" tone of the thread, since there are places where it's not a good idea even when under the same wx conditions it would be fine somewhere else.

Gotcha. I'm a clearance void person if there's clouds below the MVA/or 1500'. I was only addressing the clear and a million scenario.

That may be your personal decision, but I find it works all over the Eastern 1/3 of the USA just fine, including some really busy places like around Solberg NJ with NY TRACON.

It's not a personal decision. It's procedure. Unless, of course, you know of some rule in the 7110.65 that defines how a controller should issue IFR HFR clearances to pilots who are not yet ready for departure. What I'd especially like seeing is the section that entails what do I do if the pilot decides to abort the flight and doesn't call me for release.

Not sure why you have a problem with getting route, beacon, and frequency information sans the full IFR clearance with a HFR. What operational advantage do you gain with the latter, that you lost with the former?

It's not a personal decision. It's procedure. Unless, of course, you know of some rule in the 7110.65 that defines how a controller should issue IFR HFR clearances to pilots who are not yet ready for departure. What I'd especially like seeing is the section that entails what do I do if the pilot decides to abort the flight and doesn't call me for release.

Not sure why you have a problem with getting route, beacon, and frequency information sans the full IFR clearance with a HFR. What operational advantage do you gain with the latter, that you lost with the former?

Would you all initiate SAR for a guy with a HFR who never got back to you?

Would you all initiate SAR for a guy with a HFR who never got back to you?

I would have to keep his flight plan active in the system...so I guess after a long enough time I would call the airport to see if the aircraft is still there.

I would have to keep his flight plan active in the system...so I guess after a long enough time I would call the airport to see if the aircraft is still there.

Ok. Just curious on how you all would handle it.

Like the OP, I prefer to get the clearance and program the GPS on the ground. NY Tracon seems to prefer either of two approaches on good VFR days. One is a hold for release as Ron described. The other is to get the full clearance on the ground but take off VFR and activate the clearance in the air.

Once I had to wait for some traffic before it could be activated, but since I was flying my route anyway it didn't delay things.

I have never worked up the courage to try and pick up an IFR clearance in the air from NY Tracon controllers in our sector. And I've never heard anyone else try it here, either. Not much dead air on the frequency.

It's not a personal decision. It's procedure. Unless, of course, you know of some rule in the 7110.65 that defines how a controller should issue IFR HFR clearances to pilots who are not yet ready for departure.
Just as it says in Section 4-3-4b. Nothing there says you can only issue a "hold for release" clearance when the pilot is ready for departure, and every TRACON in the eastern third of the US is doing that, and doing it the way I described, so it must be pretty standard.

Like the OP, I prefer to get the clearance and program the GPS on the ground. NY Tracon seems to prefer either of two approaches on good VFR days. One is a hold for release as Ron described. The other is to get the full clearance on the ground but take off VFR and activate the clearance in the air.
There is nothing in FAA Order 7110.65 authorizing controllers to issue a clearance on the ground and then a release once airborne. If you're going to do this, make sure ATC knows your plan before you take off so they can coordinate things properly and you don't set off alarms (say, by using your IFR clearance code).

Bad idea, or potentially inconvenient? If you depart CAVU, you always have the option to turn back, should you close in on non-VFR conditions before you are able to get a pop up clearance.

If I'm flying from Norcal to San Diego and it's CAVU along the route, I'm going VFR and I'll get a pop up at the end if I need it. Five hundred miles in a straight line is better than six hundred miles of zig zagging from waypoint to waypoint.

If I'm flying from Norcal to San Diego and it's CAVU along the route, I'm going VFR and I'll get a pop up at the end if I need it. Five hundred miles in a straight line is better than six hundred miles of zig zagging from waypoint to waypoint.

Is it still like that?

Last time I ran up at Livermore, I heard a request for IFR radar vectors to Redding. It was approved.

Question - During my training Ive always either filed with fltpln on the ground and gotten the clearance from the tower, KRYY, or gone VFR and maybe gotten into the system in the air with a request to A80.

What do you say if you have a filed plan in and depart vfr to get an actual clearance for a trip?

App - bugchaser 1234 requesting my IFR clearance?

Anything else?

Question - During my training Ive always either filed with fltpln on the ground and gotten the clearance from the tower, KRYY, or gone VFR and maybe gotten into the system in the air with a request to A80.

What do you say if you have a filed plan in and depart vfr to get an actual clearance for a trip?

App - bugchaser 1234 requesting my IFR clearance?

Anything else?

That'll work. The IFR at the end will expedite things along. Most times just a wake up will work as well. When I worked approach, as soon as a guy called up out of the blue, they're one of two things. They're either VFR looking for FF or they're off an non towered field looking for their IFR. Generally the controller already knows their IFR departures so hey can immediately grap your strip and say "Bugchaser 1234, are you requesting your IFR clearance?" Or "Bugchaser 1234, squawk 4321 for your IFR clearance."

Bad idea, or potentially inconvenient? If you depart CAVU, you always have the option to turn back, should you close in on non-VFR conditions before you are able to get a pop up clearance.

Yes, if conditions are VFR you can always turn back. But when the only inconvenience of getting the clearance on the ground is having to read back a void time, what's the downside? As I said, if you try to pick up the clearance in the air in VT they will not issue it easily until you are at the MIA for the area, which around my home field is 5400. To me it's a no brainer to call them from the ground if there are any clouds around lower than that.

Back