DenverPilot ..........

Nate, I'm very sorry for your loss. Your story reminded me eerily of how I lost my dad just over 5 years ago, very suddenly due to a massive MI. I knew it was happening because I reached him at home after leaving my evening teaching gig, could tell he was in trouble immediately, called 911, raced to his house, let the EMTs in, and they found him in PEA. Everyone reacts differently to tragedy, but I think shock is universal and can last a very long time. And yes, forgetting for a moment that he's gone will be a part of your life for a while. I remember sitting in the funeral home meeting many of his friends for the first time and thinking "wait till I tell Dad that I met Dick today". :(

Our thoughts are with you, Nate.

I'm sure it doesn't feel that way right now, but please take some comfort in the way he passed. We don't get to choose the time, place, or method of our passing, but speaking as one who watched both parents die of cancer, I can say with authority that his way is a better way.

I am so sorry for your loss.

What a good way to check out, massive stoke and away you go. Way better than the mindless creatures my elder relatives turn into. Huge condolences, but there are things way worse than dying.

And +1 on the BP rant. Hypertension isn't good for you. I freaked out pretty badly for the couple hours I thought I was hypertensive.

Aw Nate, it's very sad to hear this. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

As hard as it is, at least you had a last chance to see him and spend time at the end. And he did get to enjoy things he loved at the end.

Wow, two in a week, my dad had a brain stem stroke the other night, luckily my dad didn't do quite so bad. Hang tough Nate.

Sad to hear that, Henning. Thoughts and wished for a quick recovery.

Again, sorry for your loss Nate. It's never easy.:(

What was his callsign? I wonder if I had ever met or talked to him. You and I have met once, but I guess that's a story for another day.

George

Thanks for the details.

I am sorry for your loss. Our prayers are sent to you and your family.

Terry

Nate, my dad passed away suddenly about 6 months ago Aug 1st 2012 at age 57. He was a poster child for a healthy lifestyle. He had an ascending aortic aneurism (Same thing that happened to John Ritter), never woke up after the surgery. I know what you're going through, things have gotten a little better, but I don't suspect back to normal will ever happen. We're still dealing with the loss and issues you're likely to encounter in the near future, send me a message if you want to discuss anything.

Thank you for your well written story Nate. I am sorry for your loss. I'll do an extra lap around the pattern for your dad.

Our thoughts are with you, Nate.

I'm sure it doesn't feel that way right now, but please take some comfort in the way he passed. We don't get to choose the time, place, or method of our passing, but speaking as one who watched both parents die of cancer, I can say with authority that his way is a better way.

I lost my dad to cancer almost 4 years ago. Jay is correct, this was better. Still isn't easy, and I miss my dad. You have my prayers.

Nice ham radio set up. All I have is a little handheld
KD8JHM

Why is it a great call sign, and what does that mean?

SK - Silent Key, an amateur term for indicating that a ham has passed away. Also one of the prosigns -- meaning "end of contact"

73 - Best regards

88 - Love and kisses

SK - Silent Key, an amateur term for indicating that a ham has passed away. Also one of the prosigns -- meaning "end of contact"

73 - Best regards

88 - Love and kisses

VFO (last 3 letters of the call) - Variable Frequency Oscillator, which is the device that tunes the transmitter/receiver to a specific frequency. (e.g. the electronics behind the tuning dial).

Now you have me curious about our meeting. :)

Dad was KC0VFO. A great callsign and it was FCC issued, not a Vanity call.

http://qrz.com/db/KC0VFO

KC0VFO SK SK SK 73 88

Hmmm, don't think I ever worked him but I'll have to check my logs. Of course like most I don't log repeater contacts.

That is a cool call and I LOVE that van!!:yes:

I was with the connection guys on Cheyenne Mountain the day it snowed on us in June, and the sherrif came buy to warn us about the mountain lion. I was one of the guys helping spool out the hardline and taking pictures, you were the guy "pushing sandwiches and drinks":D Good times!

DE KDØBSY

George

Thanks for the impressive write-up Nate. My girlfriend lost her dad quickly too, almost 2 years ago now. We know he's still watching over her with all the Mini Coopers and MGs we see now, especially under certain circumstances (he owned 2 Minis and a '38 MG-TA).

Oh, you're THAT George! Hi George! Small world.

You missed out on the trip to the same site before the move to the new building when a momma black bear and cub decided to visit and check out dad's Suburban, while another Ham's son was in it...

We were caught behind the tower/building and he was in the Suburban, we had to yell to him to roll up the windows... In case momma got too excited. Eventually she ambled off, and we took photos of her paw prints near the top of the rear windows on a 3/4 ton Suburban.

Whew. Big.

I'm a little bit late in chiming in here, but I'm sorry about your dad, Denverpilot, but I'm glad to see that you are in good spirits and going in to this whole thing with a great attitude. Sac sends you his best wishes.

Hi there Denverpilot,

I just came accross the thread. I wanted to write something to make you feel better, but I don't know what that might be. May God give you and your family strength and wisdom. Your dad had things under control until the very end.

Thanks everyone.

Today was a good day, as far as they can be. Smiles, sunny skies...

Have had visits with family and friends on the phone and in person and we're pretty much finished with the busywork things we can do for the moment. Those will go on for a long time.

We're now working on setting up the party he wanted, and finding a venue -- should be scheduled in a couple of weeks.

I didn't mean to, but I made the mail lady cry. He used to go over to the mailbox and talk with her all the time. :(

I'm just amazed at how many lives he touched. It's been both a sad and happy week, in so many ways.

Nate, I'm sorry for your loss. I do agree with your Dad. When I go, have a party for me, and on me.
I'll toast him tonight. He sounds like he was a good man.

I doubt anyone from PoA can make it, or would have known dad, but just to properly follow up on the thread, dad wanted a party in lieu of a traditional service.

We are holding it at the CB & Potts restaurant in the Denver Tech Center (not super far from KAPA) at 6PM on Saturday the 23rd of February. Need head count for appetizers and what not, so if anyone is coming, just drop me a PM or an e-mail or whatever.

After seeing the initial RSVPs I'm a little concerned we didn't get a big enough room, but that's one of those "good problems" to have, I suppose. I joked with Karen that we might end up taking over half the bar, which is exactly the type of thing dad would have loved... so all the better if it happens. He was well known and loved, and lot of friends at a party is just what he would have wanted.

Various stories have come out that there was something very subtly wrong with his interactions with folks in the last few months, and we have begun to think he was having mini-strokes and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to know what it was medically, or perhaps he chalked it up to "just getting old". We'd seen some minor things ourselves, but the whole picture didn't come together until we started talking to everyone. Typical stubborn German from South Dakota. No lack of stubbornness in this family! ;)

Thanks everyone for the kind words and thoughts. We're inundated with cards and notes and rememberances and many are things I'll keep and treasure for a long time.

Death creates paperwork research, and a bored Dino Dog.

ugagy2u2.jpg

Just wanted to thank everyone for the kind words and thoughts. It's been a busy couple of weeks.

Some stories have definitely come out that perhaps he wasn't feeling tip-top. He certainly had his affairs in order, almost a little too well. Probate attorney was a little surprised.

Now the decisions begin. We have to figure out if we are moving to the country house, staying in Denver, selling both and becoming wild-haired hippie nomads (nah, David White has that covered... :) ), rent the city house out, probably donate the communications van to a group that has more manpower and money to make it more useful to folks, etc etc etc.

Lots of decisions. Next visit ... is with the accountant. Of course.

For the moment, I'm sitting at the country house, zoning out, watching the pellet stove do its thing. We crashed out here last night.

Dog loves it. Of course.

During his trip outside this morning, the neighbor's rooster was crowing up a storm. :)

Ironically, dad removed the dog run from the side of the house, since he didn't have a dog anymore. With 3+ acres, I guess we can choose where to put the new one, if we end up moving out here. ;)

Thanks for writing the whole story Nate. Makes me think of my dad and how he's getting up there in age now (71) and had recently shown some health decline. Gotta take him to check up.

Sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing. May your dad RIP.

Back