Denver KFTG rwy 17-35 is closed

zaitcev

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pete Zaitcev
Any Denver locals know the scoop? Is that part of the airport going to be redeveloped for warehouses or what? Nate, Murphey?

I don't see any current NOTAMs or information about it, but I'm not from the area. Where are you seeing it closed?

They were racing motorcycles on it when I took off from RWY 8 on Saturday

Last edited:
Nate's based at KAPA. I'm based at KFTG, didn't get any info about it. There's a parking lot next to 17-35 that's used for porche racing on weekends. I just called - yes, bike racing but it did not affect the runway or taxiway.

Still stupid not to notify the tenants.

Of course the tenants are still laughing hysterically because FTG was just named another Spaceport. Sure. Call me when it happens. Toxic fuels on the field (altho it's a HUGE area, almost as large as KDEN), horizontal takeoffs to the east & south over farm and growing 'burbs, 5 nm from a USAF base, zero infrastructure (costs a fortune to get a water line, 2 separate phone companies that don't play well together, no public or convenient transportation - uber refuses, cab company charges a fortune, shall I go on?)

Last edited:
One of the Porsche racers arrived in a King Air right behind me, apparently. The tower made him do a 360 on final. I talked to him momentarily while we were waiting for ground transport. Well, as long as they don't close the runway permanently it's all good.

Winds reported were 320@12G18. If it were true, landing on 35 would be great. But in reality it was dead calm, so yea... I made something like 8 landings on 17 back in 2011, when I checked out in Alliance's Mooney.

Back