Denver area grass strip or taildragger place?

mikegreen

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mike g.
In the process of moving to Denver... physically here just homeless at the moment :)

Looking to get back into fun flying (vs destination/trips) and looking for an airport that might have some grass and taildraggers.. Does that exist around here? Missing my tailwheel fix... Something cub or decathalon or aerbatic training place would work.

thanks!
-Mike

I'd also check on backcountrypilot.org, quite a few backcountry CO guys on there and I'd wager 90% of the pilots on there are tailwheel.

Platte Valley, 18V, has a grass strip. Easton Valley, 11V, has 2 unpaved strips, but they are dirt, not grass. Boulder, KBDU has a grass strip, and I think there is a Citabria that rents from there. KLMO has a rental Citabria.

Platte Valley, 18V, has a grass strip. Easton Valley, 11V, has 2 unpaved strips, but they are dirt, not grass. Boulder, KBDU has a grass strip, and I think there is a Citabria that rents from there. KLMO has a rental Citabria.

Boulder has a grass strip between the two paved runways but generally it's meant for tow planes for the glider runway. Also pilots should treat simultaneous ops from any of the three as a single runway, since they're not far enough apart to really meet parallel runway standards.

You're not going to find many grass strips. It's a high desert. You'll find plenty of dirt strips, most privately owned. The vast majority of public use airports that don't require prior permission, are paved. Because grass requires irrigation here and water is scarce. The few "grass" strips are more like "tufty bumpy dirt with some grass here and there to keep the soil from blowing away". Not like "grass" back east.

There's always AstroTurf if you want that plush grassy feel:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/astroturf-at-5v4-and-todays-adventures.47791/

Only a short portion of that runway is covered in it, however. And you'll be lucky to see another airplane at all there. ;)

Back