AstroTurf at 5V4 and Today's Adventures

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Someone asked me to post photos the last time I went out to Calhan, CO (5V4) of the AstroTurf runway.

But before we went there we went to KPUB for chow.

Karen looking at me thinking, "You can't fly this thing from our there. Let's go!"

4b94241c-4eaf-2525.jpg

Karen waiting on her burrito...

4b94241c-4e85-12e5.jpg

Then out to KLHX and on up to 5V4 to show Karen the AstroTurf. She pointed out that this was also her first non-pavement landing. Oh. Hmm. Yeah. We've gone to Everitt before with the airplane but she had something else to do that day, and I'd been to Calhan for the Operation Fly photo but that was also a solo day.

Anyway. On to the AstroTurf...

79M is way up there at the end of 35. I'm about 800' down the AstroTurf or so:

4b94241c-4c8d-8a69.jpg

Another 182 taxiied out of a hangar (surprised us, the place is a ghost-town) and back-taxied 35 for departure.

He was off the dirt way before the AstroTurf northbound:

4b94241c-4cb1-e472.jpg

I was standing on the AstroTurf runway edge. You can see how high he was by the time he got to us:

4b94241c-4d00-4ef3.jpg

And another of the edge of the turf as I walked back to 79M.

4b94241c-4d3d-cdde.jpg

A fun stop, since Karen hadn't seen the AstroTurf yet.

Some dude was flying his RC model nearby. He was paranoid someone would be ticked he was near the runway.

There's never anything going on out there and he even had a radio on the Unicom freq. Nice guy. Wasn't hurting a thing.

Even gave me a confirmation on the winds during my low-approach to see if the gravel was wet and muddy.

And later he asked if we'd do a couple touch and goes before we left.

Think he was enjoying the activity that popped up all of a sudden. Two whole airplanes in the pattern. Whoa! ;)

Here's his bird.

4b94241c-4db6-fc29.jpg

I should'a asked him if he wanted a ride, darn it. He'd have probably jumped at the chance. Maybe we'll see him again sometime.

Back