Density Altitude?

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
Checking various density altitudes across our area this morning just for sh*ts and giggles. Kirksville (KIRK) is almost 5600' below actual airport ELEVATION.

Which caused me to ponder...

WHY is it density ALTITUDE and not density Density ELEVATION????

It is a statement of what your airplane feels like when it is ON THE GROUND after all...

...once you take-off...then it's density altitude.

Checking various density altitudes across our area this morning just for sh*ts and giggles. Kirksville (KIRK) is almost 5600' below actual airport ELEVATION.

It is a statement of what your airplane feels like when it is ON THE GROUND after all...

I was actually going to try to answer this one seriously, then thought better of it :D

Last edited:
This has got to be a trap..... :skeptical:

So I just ran the numbers.....

At -60, that’s .5 kilos more weight per Square meter of surface area and in order to take off, you must add this to the total weight of the aircraft e.g. gross.

My answer is..... you are over gross for take off anyway, so just put it away and wait for it to warm up.

That means your airplane can takeoff with a negative indicated airspeed.

Well, no, density altitude is what the plane feels...period! Your plane doesn't know it's sitting on the ground, thus what it "feels" is strictly related to the density of the air. So, if an airport has an elevation of, say, 1000 feet, and the density altitude is 1500 feet, then the plane is "feeling" as if it's at an altitude of 1500 feet.
I'm no instructor, and am in fact still a student pilot, but that's my take on it. Feel free anyone to correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, no, density altitude is what the plane feels...period! Your plane doesn't know it's sitting on the ground, thus what it "feels" is strictly related to the density of the air. So, if an airport has an elevation of, say, 1000 feet, and the density altitude is 1500 feet, then the plane is "feeling" as if it's at an altitude of 1500 feet.
I'm no instructor, and am in fact still a student pilot, but that's my take on it. Feel free anyone to correct me if I'm wrong.
You are wrong...in answering the question as if it is real.

(Just in case - your answer is quite correct)

If Kirksville was underground, that would kind of clean the area up.

Boy, ain't that the truth. Spent a year in that town recently working on a project. It ain't nice.

I spent a lot of time near there as a Youth, SW of their mainly.

My Uncle was on the airport board for a while, before he passed. I've been up there a few times.

The entire Northern 1/2 of MO is just kind of frucked up now.

You're wrong...... the only thing that makes an airplane fly is money.

Well yeah, except the metar is talking about the airport...not the airplane. And the airport is at an elevation not an altitude.

Yes, I see your point now. I suppose the METAR could say, for example, airport KLVK has a high density elevation of 1500 feet. But then as a pilot, I'd be seeing that as high density altitude, so why not just cut to the chase, and call it that to begin with?

Back