Denied from 3rd Class?

J

Joshua Hendrickson

Morning everyone,

I just got declined from a medical in probably record time after a 3rd class deferment. Here is my timeline:

07/26/23 - Deferred because of medication (mycophenolate and amjevita)

8/28/23 - Recieved correspondence from the FAA requesting clinical progress notes and blood tests from my doctors. (Due 10/20/23)

10/18/23 - Mail everything off to OKC

10/23/23 - Signed for in OKC

10/25/23 - “You are not medically cleared to operate an aircraft.”

Some background, I am 17 years old with history of renal insufficiency, iritis, and uveitis (started beginning of last year). As of today I no longer have iritis and uveitis and my kidneys are constantly improving with my most recent test at about 12% from normal. I was checking Medx pretty much 3 times a day waiting for something to happen. However, my documents never showed up in the “My Documents” section. Could this that they never received the documents, or I’m actually not cleared to fly a plane? Lastly, my kidney function is well beyond the limits that the FAA has set, so I don’t think it’s that.

you’re not “declined,” they would “deny” you if they determined you didn't meet the medical standards. If they got your package 10/23 I can guarantee the reports haven’t even been scanned into your file yet. The “not medically cleared” part is just to remind you that your certificate hasnt been issued and you are still in review. This summer it was 8-10 days for the reports to get scanned so the reviewer could see them.

you’re not “declined,” they would “deny” you if they determined you didn't meet the medical standards. If they got your package 10/23 I can guarantee the reports haven’t even been scanned into your file yet. The “not medically cleared” part is just to remind you that your certificate hasnt been issued and you are still in review. This summer it was 8-10 days for the reports to get scanned so the reviewer could see them.
I see. I just don’t understand why my medx says this:

“Review of your application is complete. You will receive correspondence with additional details via mail.

You are not medically cleared to operate an aircraft.

Under 14 CFR § 61.53, it is unlawful for the holder of a medical certificate to exercise such privileges if he/she has a known medical history or condition, which makes him/her unable to meet the physical requirements for that certificate.“

I see. I just don’t understand why my medx says this:

“Review of your application is complete. You will receive correspondence with additional details via mail.

You are not medically cleared to operate an aircraft.

Under 14 CFR § 61.53, it is unlawful for the holder of a medical certificate to exercise such privileges if he/she has a known medical history or condition, which makes him/her unable to meet the physical requirements for that certificate.“
It’s saying hey this piece of paper is not a medical certificate, that’s all.

You gotta go through the steps to get your medical cert before you can fly as PIC / solo.

It’s saying hey this piece of paper is not a medical certificate, that’s all.

You gotta go through the steps to get your medical cert before you can fly as PIC / solo.
Ok, should I be waiting for a letter from them shortly then?

I’m not the person to ask, but it sounds like you have a long wait (years) ahead of you, so be patient buddy.

And don’t be posting your name on the internet with these questions. Protect your privacy.

You need to be patient and proactive. Hopefully you have a good AME helping you with this, someone who would explain what is going on and what you need to do.

MedX just changed to Final Review, this seems better then denied lol

Did this get approved ? I'm in the same spot. It said you are not cleared to fly like you for 20 minutes, now it's back in final review again

Just checked medxpress this morning and it was approved!

Limitations:

• Must use corrective lens(es) to meet vision standards at all required distances.
  • Not valid for any class after 07/31/2024
Does the “Not valid for any class after 07/31/2024” mean that I can’t get a 2nd or 1st class until after 07/31/2024?

Just checked medxpress this morning and it was approved!

Limitations:

• Must use corrective lens(es) to meet vision standards at all required distances.
  • Not valid for any class after 07/31/2024
Does the “Not valid for any class after 07/31/2024” mean that I can’t get a 2nd or 1st class until after 07/31/2024?
No. Remember that a medical is normally good for up to 60 months (depending on your age) for operations requiring a third class. This just means that your medical expires at the end of July 2024 and those other dates don't count. It doesn't restrict what you can apply for if you qualify. And nothing stops you from applying right now.

Is it the medical that expires or the Special Issuance that expires in July 2024?
They are tied together. You’ll have to see what your medical certificate says, but this limitation is typically on the medical itself although it will apply to the SI. The SI will include instructions for renewal.

(I had an SIBforv5 years with a 1-year limitation like this.)

I see, if I apply for a 2nd class will I have to go through this entire process again? Or how does it work?

I see, if I apply for a 2nd class will I have to go through this entire process again? Or how does it work?
Wait for the medical and the accompanying SI letter. it should explain the process and what you need to do to make the faa happy.

OTOH, if you are not needing more, BasicMed will be a possibility.

Better yet call and ask them to emial it to you (both cert and letter: (405-954-4821))

Update:

I got the letter and it concerns me. The reason they gave for my special issuance is for a condition which I was ruled to not have. In top of this, the letter says that my AME cannot issue a new certificate under this authorization (which expires in 2029), does this mean I can’t get a 2nd class medical until then?

Also, how does appealing these things work?

You need to be asking your AME, not a webboard, unless you want to publish your letter.....

Back