Demonstrated stalls

david0tey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fox-Three
Having never had demonstrated stalls demonstrated to me, I am curious as to the configurations used in each; specifically in RG airplanes. Also for the secondary stall, do you add full power on the first recovery or do you just increase AOA again after the first stall with power off? And lastly, what bank angle do you use on the accelerated stalls? Thanks.

:eek: You're kidding! You've never had stalls demonstrated to you? How did you practice them when a student? Didn't you demonstrate them on your check ride?

:eek: You're kidding! You've never had stalls demonstrated to you? How did you practice them when a student? Didn't you demonstrate them on your check ride?

Demonstrated stalls.

...as in accelerated, secondary, and cross-controlled.

Yes I have done stalls.

I think for the secondary it's good to do after adding full power. Show the students that full power doesn't mean you're out of the proverbial "woods" yet. AOA is the name of the game in recovering from stalls.

I think I remeber doing 45° on accelerated stalls. 30° should work too.

Cross controlled was simple too. Just cross it up (simulated a turn to final using a road as a simulated runway) at a safe altitude and correct once the airplane wants to try to go upside down. Then say "that's why you need to stay coordinated"

Here's my stall series

Power on, slow to VY, add power and continue to pitch up, usually 20 degrees or so will do it.

Power off, slow to vref, power out, landing configuration and try to hold altitude.

Next, clean, steep turn, low power.

After that, falling leaf stall, power out, stall and yoke all the way back, step on th high wing.

Here's my stall series

Power on, slow to VY, add power and continue to pitch up, usually 20 degrees or so will do it.

Power off, slow to vref, power out, landing configuration and try to hold altitude.

Next, clean, steep turn, low power.

After that, falling leaf stall, power out, stall and yoke all the way back, step on th high wing.

I liked that falling leaf stall, I want to do that one again with my instructor.

Here's my stall series

My 182 won't stall power on. I'll be looking at nothing but blue sky and it just mushes and hangs from the prop...airspeed indicator at zero.

The only way I can get it to stall power on is to pull the yoke quickly all the way to the stop when it's nearing stall speed (something I doubt a pilot would ever do accidentally). But even then it recovers on its own quite quickly and return to mushing flight.

It fun to do. When it's cold enough to not be concerned about lack of cooling.

My 182 won't stall power on. I'll be looking at nothing but blue sky and it just mushes and hangs from the prop...airspeed indicator at zero.

What's your rate of climb or descent during the maneuver?

Also, does the behavior change when you're heavy and loaded towards the aft limit?

What's your rate of climb or descent during the maneuver?

Below is a shot (unfortunately out of focus) of my panel during slow flight. Not a stall, just slow flight. Not to the point of "mushing" yet...just slow stabilized flight. I really can't answer your question directly since I'm usually not looking at the instruments. I'm flying the airplane.

Also, does the behavior change when you're heavy and loaded towards the aft limit?
Dunno. Never played with CG loading. I'm always just out playing solo.

0kts-jpg.34988

Last edited:
As an aside, I don't think I've ever come across the term "demonstrated" stalls before.
It's just a term for the stalls that the CFI must "demonstrate" to the PP student. The student doesn't have to practice them nor perform them during the checkride. I did them with my instructor in one lesson. He explained to me how it could happen in real flying and we moved on. As an aside, the accelerated stall were fun, we did a bunch of the at different speeds and angles of bank.

The only way I can get it to stall power on is to pull the yoke quickly all the way to the stop when it's nearing stall speed (something I doubt a pilot would ever do accidentally). But even then it recovers on its own quite quickly and return to mushing flight.

It fun to do. When it's cold enough to not be concerned about lack of cooling.
I though it was conventional to perform power on stalls in a 182 at medium power like 20 inches, due to this issue, excessive pitch angle (parachutes?), and a possibility of spin at full power.

Having never had demonstrated stalls demonstrated to me, I am curious as to the configurations used in each; specifically in RG airplanes. Also for the secondary stall, do you add full power on the first recovery or do you just increase AOA again after the first stall with power off? And lastly, what bank angle do you use on the accelerated stalls? Thanks.
Why don't you simply go to a good CFI with a good background and go flying with him? Seems simple enough or this will blossom into the absurd tome about stalling upon landing .

It's just a term for the stalls that the CFI must "demonstrate" to the PP student. The student doesn't have to practice them nor perform them during the checkride. I did them with my instructor in one lesson. He explained to me how it could happen in real flying and we moved on. As an aside, the accelerated stall were fun, we did a bunch of the at different speeds and angles of bank.

Thanks.

To the best of my recollection, after demonstrating each of the listed "demonstrated" stalls I would have the student perform them.

Without looking it up, I really can't recall which stalls were required for which ratings.

As an aside, I don't think I've ever come across the term "demonstrated" stalls before.

This is he first time I've heard them called that too. It seems like a dumb term to me, since you demonstrate them all. But I assumed correctly when I guessed what the op was looking for. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the OP is working on a CFI rating if he is looking for configurations for these stalls.

OP, consult the airplane flying handbook and the specific aircraft flight manual for your airplane. They should have guidance for you.

Thanks.

To the best of my recollection, after demonstrating each of the listed "demonstrated" stalls I would have the student perform them.

Without looking it up, I really can't recall which stalls were required for which ratings.
Accelerated stall, elevator trim stall, secondary stall and cross controlled stall.

This is he first time I've heard them called that too. It seems like a dumb term to me, since you demonstrate them all. But I assumed correctly when I guessed what the op was looking for. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the OP is working on a CFI rating if he is looking for configurations for these stalls.

OP, consult the airplane flying handbook and the specific aircraft flight manual for your airplane. They should have guidance for you.
Chapter 4

I though it was conventional to perform power on stalls in a 182 at medium power like 20 inches, due to this issue, excessive pitch angle (parachutes?), and a possibility of spin at full power.

No and no. Why would you need chutes? So you enter a spin at full power. Big deal. You recover.

The reason why folks don't use full power in a lightly loaded 182 (with a forward CG) is that: 1) You've got to really try to get it to happen. (Load it up with a 30-40 bank turn and you'll get it to break with full power.) and 2) they're scared of the steep pitch angle.

No and no. Why would you need chutes? So you enter a spin at full power. Big deal. You recover.

Because the spin becomes questionable. 182s are not rated for "intentional" spins. Is it intentional if you place the aircraft in a regime where it becomes likely? Is it reckless?

As for chutes, 14 CFR 91.307(c)(2), if you have anyone on board (say, a safety pilot). You can do it with an instructor if it is required for a rating. If it's for a BFR, oh well...

"flight maneuvers required by the regulations for any certificate"

Isn't a flight review required by the regulations if you want to exercise the privileges of a certificate?

The spin in your case would not be intentional. If it were to fall into one, you'd be able to recover while it is still in the incipient stage, especially with your forward CG. You'd only be putting your airraft in a spin if you were ham fisted or clay footed in the case of a departure stall. The stalls mentioned above are required to be demonstrated for a rating. Demonstrating them for a BFR, which is an instructional event, would not require their use.

Last edited:
1) In an SR22, departure stalls are typically done short of full power, due to the high deck angle at full power.

2) A mistake I used to see when teaching in many planes was going to full power, then just pulling and pulling, getting the nose absurdly high. My routine was to smoothly apply full power while lifting the nose to a pitch attitude we knew from experience could not be maintained, then just holding that pitch with increasing back pressure until a full or imminent stall occurred. Much less dramatic that way.

It's right in the CFI PTS which also describes why they're called that.

An actual departure stall is likely to happen at full power during an obstacle take-off or a buzz job gone wrong. Best to practice at full power and with some altitude under you.

3/4 power practice may not help you if the poop really hits the fan.

It's right in the CFI PTS which also describes why they're called that.

This.

Most folks haven't heard of them because it's a "CFI rating thing". They've been called this name for quite a while now.

Basically FAA saying, "we want instructors to demonstrate the types of stalls and stall entires that we don't want to make mandatory for non-CFIs to have to do on check rides or at any other time, but we want CFIs able to show people what they're like, optionally". LOL...

For comedic purposes...

You have to be able to Demonstrate Demonstrated stalls and spins IF you fail the CFI ride due to poor handling of... Stalls, Incipient Spins, and Demostrated Stalls.

That's a paraphrase of how it works. I'm not kidding.

Demonstrating them to non-CFI applicants is, however, completely optional. Technically demonstrating them to CFI applicants is also optional, but they're going to have a hell of a time passing if you don't. Hahaha.

And rarely will one hear a CFI telling someone they're going to demonstrate a demonstrated stall, they'll say they're demonstrating an accelerated stall or a cross-controlled stall.

Head hurt yet? Haha. Welcome to studying for the CFI! LOL.

Do I get any consideration that my CFI checkride was 35+ years ago?
None whatsoever :D

I've actually never heard them referred to as demonstrated stalls. The term I'm familiar with is demonstration stalls. Slight semantic difference, although one that might avoid a question like Post #2..

Last edited:
Do I get any consideration that my CFI checkride was 35+ years ago?
You do get consideration and stalls, recovery from a spin or s pins should s till be mandatory for ppl. I'm sure there would be fewer deaths especially from stupid mistakes made in the pattern and go rounds which should not be a problem for a well trained pilot. I had to recover on a point and no we did not have chutes as we never exceeded much over fifty or sixty as we recovered. Being a CFI , You must marvel at some of the questions posed here.

1) In an SR22, departure stalls are typically done short of full power, due to the high deck angle at full power....... then just holding that pitch with increasing back pressure until a full or imminent stall occurred. Much less dramatic that way.
This is how I am being taught.

Back