Delta pilot caught boozing the preflight

Now, since the statute of limitations is probably over, I will say that back in my young Air Force days, there were times that I (and many others) probably broke the 12-hour rule. I'm not going to throw any current military guys under the bus, and I'm sure the culture has changed for the better these days, and military pilots adhere to the 12-hour rule. But, you get a bunch of 20-somethings in charge of other 20-somethings (and younger), put them in England (or Vegas, or Germany) at a pub, and things tend to get carried away. The next day's flight was always a "who's feeling the best? It's your leg then" kinda thing. I'm not proud of it, but it happened.
I never busted the time limit. But did once or twice chug the rest of a drink with 10 seconds to go.

You did well.

I was stationed at CCK, Taichung, Taiwan from late 71-early 73, with a lot of TDY in Vietnam.

At the O-club, beer was ten cents and mixed drinks 25 cents during Happy Hour, after which many of us continued the lubrication at the bars downtown.

D'ya think anyone flew less than 12 hours later?

I beseech every deity there is to NEVER allow caffeine to be a banned, heck controlled, substance! It’s literally my only vice. If you measured it on the same scale as alcohol, yes I realize it isn’t, .24 would be just hitting functional for me. I have a coffee pot next to the bed timed to be ready when the alarm goes off, drink half a pot before clearing the door, hit the first coffee spot on the way to work, and of course have ready access to it all day.

At least I can say other than occasionally frustrating me a bit with touch screens in the plane, it hasn’t been an issue. Don’t have to worry about falling asleep in flight either! Not giving Drunky McPilot a pass. Anyone who would do that is a huge bag of suck!

I never busted the time limit. But did once or twice chug the rest of a drink with 10 seconds to go.

We called that 'panic drinking'. ;)

I don't know about before the flight, but I had a few instructors hit the bottle right after our flight...

I beseech every deity there is to NEVER allow caffeine to be a banned, heck controlled, substance! It’s literally my only vice. If you measured it on the same scale as alcohol, yes I realize it isn’t, .24 would be just hitting functional for me. I have a coffee pot next to the bed timed to be ready when the alarm goes off, drink half a pot before clearing the door, hit the first coffee spot on the way to work, and of course have ready access to it all day.

At least I can say other than occasionally frustrating me a bit with touch screens in the plane, it hasn’t been an issue. Don’t have to worry about falling asleep in flight either! Not giving Drunky McPilot a pass. Anyone who would do that is a huge bag of suck!
If they ever ban coffee, I’m getting a clapped-out DC-3 and making trips south. I’ll be the Han fricking Solo of coffee smugglers.

Back