Delta MadDog engine failure this morning!

I don't. An emergency is an emergency. Now if they had numerous emergencies at the same time maybe they would possibly prioritize, I dunno. I once had around 7-8 emergencies once simultaneously at Eglin AFB but that's only because Tyndall AFB just to the east had both their runways closed, one for maintenance the other only operational runway when an F-4 landed and took the arresting system. In addition to 1 or 2 from Eglin the rest came from Tyndall and had to go somewhere. This definitely overwhelmed the base FD, and some had to wait. Hung bombs and whatnot will make one nervous I guess, a few hot brakes too.

At a place with like 6 trucks... I don't think they'd necessarily roll all 6 trucks for a PC-12 with inop flaps. Or a PA-30 with a prop overspeed. But if you have a 777 with an engine fire and loss of elevator control, methinks they'd roll a lot for that.

I agree an emergency is an emergency. But again, the level of response to any particular emergency is gauged on a case by case basis, no? I mean, from a law enforcement perspective, an injury traffic collision might get a unit or two. An active shooter would get everyone and their cousin. I assume the rescue apparatus would be the same.

I guess maybe a 777 with an engine fire and loss of elevator control and 5k lbs remaining would get the same amount of trucks rolling as a GV with 5k remaining. I guess in my mind without really thinking about it, I would think the larger aircraft with more people on it would necessitate a larger complement of rescue apparatus than a smaller aircraft with less people on it, all other things being equal.

IIRC, CFR response is based on pax load/capacity/payload type vs. fuel load. In 14 years and dozens of IFEs, never have we passed fuel remaining in pounds, just duration. Other may have other experiences, but that's mine.

Didn't have time to find an example earlier. Here's one from a gear emergency going into JFK. ATC asks for fuel in pounds on the transmission starting 2:02 into the video.

NYAPP: "AA180 heavy, when you get a chance I need the amount of fuel remaining in pounds and the number of souls onboard."

Didn't have time to find an example earlier. Here's one from a gear emergency going into JFK. ATC asks for fuel in pounds on the transmission starting 2:02 into the video.

NYAPP: "AA180 heavy, when you get a chance I need the amount of fuel remaining in pounds and the number of souls onboard."

Welp, there you have it folks. I guess it does happen occasionally, but far from SOP, in my (and as it seems, others here as well) experience.

Welp, there you have it folks. I guess it does happen occasionally, but far from SOP, in my (and as it seems, others here as well) experience.

Thinking the same thing. First I've ever heard of it. (wonder if ATC later got debriefed that they should've asked for it in time only?)

Back