Delorean EV

Rich Holt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Craver
I read an article today about the new Delorean EV that is under development. I must say that I am pretty stoked by this development and have already signed up to stay updated on its progress. Also, I might have to cancel my M3 order...:popcorn:

Dolorlean.com

DMC has been promising a limited production run for years. Not gonna happen. If they do end up putting out an EV, it’ll be way more than an M3. Their estimates for a new ICE version if limited production ever kicked off was over $100K. A used DeLorean from DMC goes anywhere from $60-80K.

Not sure that I understand the allure of an EV DeLorean. The DeLorean really only has nostalgic value as a movie prop, and slightly less as a rare low-production car. The weren't particularly fast or great cars, but not terrible either, given the other options of the time period. I suppose making one an EV could give it the power it never had from the factory, but it still isn't a great platform to start with. I'd lump that EV option in with the EV conversions of just about every other classic car in the same bucket: neat, but kills the point of having the car in the first place unless you are just in love with the body design.

Not sure that I understand the allure of an EV DeLorean. The DeLorean really only has nostalgic value as a movie prop, and slightly less as a rare low-production car. The weren't particularly fast or great cars, but not terrible either, given the other options of the time period. I suppose making one an EV could give it the power it never had from the factory, but it still isn't a great platform to start with. I'd lump that EV option in with the EV conversions of just about every other classic car in the same bucket: neat, but kills the point of having the car in the first place unless you are just in love with the body design.
Well said

Sorta related these people did an interesting Tesla swap..
https://www.thedrive.com/news/43887...pushrod-suspension-is-restomodding-done-right

Well said

Sorta related these people did an interesting Tesla swap..
https://www.thedrive.com/news/43887...pushrod-suspension-is-restomodding-done-right

Yeah I've seen several of the modern muscle swaps. I can understand those a bit just because they're already modern vehicles. The ones I shake my head at are the ones that turn a '70 Cuda with a 440 into an EV. It just kills what the car was known for and the visceral experience of an iconic big block sound. Plenty of EV pony/muscle cars will be out soon to scratch that itch.

Given that the DeLorean powerplant was pretty much junk and EVs are the rage these days, seems like a reasonable marketing gimmick. If it lets them sell some, good for them.

apparently they don't need to sell any cars to pull in tons of money, like rivian and nikola do. just claim to have an EV and your stock will soar.

The Mr Fusion option makes it a self-sustaining EV, no need to look for charging stations.
I think the Presto Log version would be better for getting up to 88mph.
377519_0.jpg

Prestologs.jpg

Given that the DeLorean powerplant was pretty much junk and EVs are the rage these days, seems like a reasonable marketing gimmick. If it lets them sell some, good for them.

Whoa now watch it! That 130 HP PRV is a beast. Slams my head to the seat. :D

Reactions: Ted
Oh yeah here it comes. Reserve yours before they’re all gone!

Looks like Raptor Aircraft is now in the EV car business, eh?

I’d say DMC is more like an EAB company that’s doing well but making claims they’re trying to get FAA certification for one of their designs. Odds are slim.

I’d say DMC is more like an EAB company that’s doing well but making claims they’re trying to get FAA certification for one of their designs. Odds are slim.
The difference being that the company trying to get FAA certification probably has at least a flying prototype. I don’t think there’s evidence of a Delorean built new after, what, ‘82?

Needs an LS swap ;)

Either that or at least DMC’s stage 3 turbo (200 HP) upgrade. I plan on doing that in about 5 years or so.

Last edited:
The difference being that the company trying to get FAA certification probably has at least a flying prototype. I don’t think there’s evidence of a Delorean built new after, what, ‘82?

The CEO of DMC bought out the entire inventory that was left over at the Dunmurry factory. Production ended abruptly and they had a massive amount of parts in stock. Rumors are that the current DMC Houston hub can build about 300 new cars from NOS parts.

The CEO of DMC bought out the entire inventory that was left over at the Dunmurry factory. Production ended abruptly and they had a massive amount of parts in stock. Rumors are that the current DMC Houston hub can build about 300 new cars from NOS parts.
And I’m sure it’s never occurred to anyone to do so in the nearly 40 years since? The rumors don’t pass the sniff test. Just one guy’s opinion, of course. I mean, I guess it’s theoretically POSSIBLE that someone bought up a massive amount of parts and all and paid the huge expenses associated with letting it all sit in a large industrial facility for close to four decades…

but it’s really tough to imagine someone actually doing so.

And I’m sure it’s never occurred to anyone to do so in the nearly 40 years since? The rumors don’t pass the sniff test. Just one guy’s opinion, of course. I mean, I guess it’s theoretically POSSIBLE that someone bought up a massive amount of parts and all and paid the huge expenses associated with letting it all sit in a large industrial facility for close to four decades…

but it’s really tough to imagine someone actually doing so.

Oh the the Delorean has a lot of support. DMC Houston, DMC Florida, DMC Midwest and DMC West are all backlogged with customers. That’s no rumor. This isn’t a Bricklin. The DeLorean has a strong community. Prices have doubled in just the last 5 years. Will double again in the next 5 years.

Now, enough interest to start an EV line? Nope. That brings a whole range of technical problems. I’ve heard Elon Musk is a fan. If he could throw some cash their way…anything is possible.

Oh the the Delorean has a lot of support. DMC Houston, DMC Florida, DMC Midwest and DMC West are all backlogged with customers. That’s no rumor. This isn’t a Bricklin. The DeLorean has a strong community. Prices have doubled in just the last 5 years. Will double again in the next 5 years. They have a backlog of customers waiting on new completions.

Now, enough interest to start an EV line? Nope. That brings a whole range of technical problems. I’ve heard Elon Musk is a fan. If he could throw some cash their way…anything is possible.
None of which lends any credibility to tales of huge stockpiles of new DMC parts that someone’s been sitting on for 40 years.

None of which lends any credibility to tales of huge stockpiles of new DMC parts that someone’s been sitting on for 40 years.

Again, there aren’t any tales about stockpiles of DeLorean parts. It’s fact and they’re out sourcing more and more by the day. I don’t think you realize how popular these cars are right now. You’ve got 80s kids who are now in a financial situation to buy their dream car. It’s only going to grow from here.

Again, there aren’t any tales about stockpiles of DeLorean parts. It’s fact and they’re out sourcing more and more by the day.
Maybe I mis-read.

So are there actually NEW DeLoreans being built, now?

Maybe I mis-read.

So are there actually NEW DeLoreans being built, now?

Never said they’re building new cars. They have enough stock to build new DeLoreans. They’ve been waiting on a law to pass that allows a limited production of cars without complying with today’s safety requirements for mass car production. That law was passed not long ago. As I stated though I don’t think they have the financial backing to start production but that’s a whole other issue.

I don't understand this at all. They're not fast, they're not attractive, they didn't sell well when they were new, there aren't a lot of parts, and there's not a lot of room. It seems goofy from every angle. Want to retrofit electric into an old car? Start with an LTD or a Diplomat. Plenty of room, plenty of parts, and if you put the right motor(s) in it, you could make it fast enough to be a lot of fun. Jake and Elwood had the right idea.

I don't understand this at all. They're not fast, they're not attractive, they didn't sell well when they were new, there aren't a lot of parts, and there's not a lot of room. It seems goofy from every angle.
That's what happens when a car is featured in a movie. Have you seen the prices lately on a 1985 Toyota Hilux 4x4's (aka the Marty McFly truck)?

Yeah, you're probably right. The movie that should be made is "how to make money from sheep".

Or Microsoft?
I know of far less MS Fanbois. We all know and hate MS, and actually talk about the problems with it. Apple people not so much. I think in the Apple EULA it says "thou may not talk badly about Apple, and if Siri hears you do so, your phone will brick."

I know of far less MS Fanbois. We all know and hate MS, and actually talk about the problems with it. Apple people not so much. I think in the Apple EULA it says "thou may not talk badly about Apple, and if Siri hears you do so, your phone will brick."
I guess it depends on how you define the term. I've used (and currently use) both. There are plenty of Apple-esque "features" that are just as annoying as a cloud of gnats around your head. There's plenty of discussion about Apple flaws, but they're all on Apple user forums where you really have to hunt for them. I also couldn't even begin to estimate the number of Windows users I've heard ridiculing the very idea of anything Apple related... if that's not "fanboi" class behavior, I'm not sure what is.

For what it's worth, Windows is my DD for desktop use mainly due to some really stupid Apple-isms. Like the bass-ackwards key where the backspace should be on any civilized person's keyboard, and a few other gripes. Thank goodness about half my computer use is just to ssh into Linux boxes.

If I could go fully Linux I would, but for a lot of things I do and how everything talks to each other, I'm stuck with MS as I don't feel like going platform to platform and dealing with file conversion issues, etc. .

If I could go fully Linux I would, but for a lot of things I do and how everything talks to each other, I'm stuck with MS as I don't feel like going platform to platform and dealing with file conversion issues, etc. .
As much as I'd love Linux for the desktop, it's simply not viable if you have to coexist with corporate systems -- especially in an industry that requires any sort of security and auditability. I'm a techie type, but have worked in the financial sector since, oh, 1999.

I used to say Windows for the desktop, period. At my last employer (a Very Large Bank) anything Apple other than iPhones were banned entirely. My current gig is that of the Lord and Master of All Things Infrastructure and IT for a very small startup bank/fintech. I'm supporting both Windows and Macs for desktop use. The management capability seems to be fairly similar across the platforms now. We have a lot of developers and senior execs who very strongly prefer Macs, so here we are. I used a MacBook Air for several months, and aside from some minor irritation coming from differences in how you do things between them... not a big deal to switch at all, really. We do have a couple of more annoying issues with Macs, but they're related to... wait for it... Microsoft products whose Mac versions are somewhat brain dead.

The DeLorean, on the other hand, has essentially nothing at all going for it other than the fact that it was featured in a movie that a lot of people saw. Its many shortcomings have already been noted here, and an EV version produced now would probably resemble the original in name only.

I saw an interview once with Jay Leno. He was asked what makes a car increase in value over time. He essentially said that three ingredients are necessary.

First, the car has to be rare. With only about 6,500 registered DeLoreans around the world, it definitely meets that category. Second, the car has to be unique. Stainless steel construction over a fiberglass underbody, with a rear mounted engine and gull wing doors manufactured in Ireland. I’d say that checks that box. Finally, he said the car has to spark a passion in the owners. No doubt, BTTF has something to do with its popularity and created that passion for owners but most of us just find the story of the car fascinating. No car manufacturer today (maybe Tesla) has an interesting story with as many layers like a DeLorean.

Now, I get it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My dad doesn’t get it and I understand. My brother doesn’t get it either. Nothing I can do to sell them on one and that’s OK because I assure you, they’re not in the majority.

When I take my Subaru on a drive, I don’t have people pull up along side of me on the highway, beep their horn and give a thumbs up. When I take my Subaru to the gas station, people don’t come out of nowhere and say “beautiful car man.” Or “do you mind if I take pictures of your Subaru?” When I roll up to the gate of my housing area the attendant doesn’t say “dude! You’re driving a Subaru. That’s so cool.” They don’t write books about my Subaru and they sure don’t do movies about it. The DeLorean sparks something in most people. It represents a cooler time and place. If the 80s were reflected in one car, the DeLorean would be it.

I brought it up to the airport recently because the Velocity is in “annual.” All the guys came out to look at it. Every single one of them commented on how cool it is and the usual comments of “looks brand new” or “where’s the Flux Capacitor?” Now I’m not a showy person and could careless about status, so I always bring up all its faults; leaky AC, blown fuses, poor fit and finish, underpowered, etc, etc. One of the mechs replied “yeah, but it’s a DeLorean.” He’s right.

Why not only convert a DeLorean to electric, but also to a flying DeLorean...

Or maybe a flying Fiat...

flying-car-picture-id172249549

As much as I'd love Linux for the desktop, it's simply not viable if you have to coexist with corporate systems -- especially in an industry that requires any sort of security and auditability. I'm a techie type, but have worked in the financial sector since, oh, 1999.

For the desktop, that's probably true now, but I think for different reasons. For the back end, in corporate and government, Linux isn't just a viable alternative, in many or most cases it's preferred. Compliance isn't a big deal, and generally I think security is easier. Going to the endpoints, 'zero-trust' has been tossed around for years, but it's finally starting to sink in a bit, as telecommute is now a very real thing, as desktops more and more are really laptops, and as people are starting to see VPN as just a bit of a hack. It's now the business people, not just IT, asking "why isn't this a web app?" So endpoints are becoming more and more a commodity that's just running a browser. Most of my day to day work is now done on a $200 pre-covid purchased Chromebook. In 1985 people believed that regular people didn't need desktop pc's, and they were kind of right then. It's kind of right now, again. Now CAD, photo and video editing, developing software, flying simulators - sure, you want an actual computer. But using the corporate business systems, e-commerce, e-banking, entertainment - nope, a phone, tablet, chromebook or other appliance is just fine. None of those should be rare, unique, or spark any sort of passion.

Love the Leno thoughts, pretty insightful, and sounds like it applies to computers as well as cars.

For the desktop, that's probably true now, but I think for different reasons. For the back end, in corporate and government, Linux isn't just a viable alternative, in many or most cases it's preferred. Compliance isn't a big deal, and generally I think security is easier.
That's why I didn't say anything about servers. Where I've been there have been mixes of Linux and Windows (and Solaris, and HPUX, and every other flavor of UNIX and mainframe OS imaginable). In my current role we're 100% Linux on the back end, and while I have a pulse and a paycheck it will remain that way.

Linux on servers == very much preferred.
Linux on desktops == non-starter.

That's why I didn't say anything about servers. Where I've been there have been mixes of Linux and Windows (and Solaris, and HPUX, and every other flavor of UNIX and mainframe OS imaginable). In my current role we're 100% Linux on the back end, and while I have a pulse and a paycheck it will remain that way.

Linux on servers == very much preferred.
Linux on desktops == non-starter.

Yep. I'm 100% with you on back end. I see endpoints changing, though. They're becoming closer and closer to the modern equivalent of dumb terminals, and Chrome and Android are both flavors of Linux and viable endpoints for a lot of applications. In my very jaded view, one of the reasons that PC's took such a giant foothold in business was that they permitted end users to do data manipulations and even lightweight programming. Having either of those things happen these days, on the actual endpoint, is a huge pita from a support, compliance, or security perspective. So if the data is up in some cloud, and the endpoint is an appliance, then to me Linux is a way better appliance base than Windows.

Yep. I'm 100% with you on back end. I see endpoints changing, though. They're becoming closer and closer to the modern equivalent of dumb terminals, and Chrome and Android are both flavors of Linux and viable endpoints for a lot of applications. In my very jaded view, one of the reasons that PC's took such a giant foothold in business was that they permitted end users to do data manipulations and even lightweight programming. Having either of those things happen these days, on the actual endpoint, is a huge pita from a support, compliance, or security perspective. So if the data is up in some cloud, and the endpoint is an appliance, then to me Linux is a way better appliance base than Windows.
My personal experience disagrees. My previous corporate masters were very heavily into Windows virtual desktops and some sort of thin client stuff for one of our subsidiaries. Anyone could get a VDI, so I got one and used it occasionally, like when I simply could not have an ssh session disconnect at an inopportune time. It was a productivity killer of the first order. Excruciatingly slow. Maybe it was just their heavy-handed implementation, but if you're not going to be heavy-handed then you don't really need to confine people to VDIs. And to be clear, I'm on gigabit fiber at home, and would routinely see 2-300 MB per sec over the VPN, so it's not like I was on dialup.

We had half a dozen Chromebooks in use at my current company when I joined. They were perceived to be good enough for the people who used nothing but office apps and web browsing. The very first thing I was requested to do was to replace all of them with "real" laptops so people could get their work done. I've never used one so I can't speak to the user experience, but I can say that the people who were very unhappy with using them with Google Business and MS 365 are now happy with their i7 laptops (and even happier that we dumped Google).

Back