Deleted

So I earned my certificate in 2004 at 40hrs and stopped flying in 2007 with about 80hrs due to kids, mortgage, life etc... Now that my kids are grown, I decided to take up flying again last year. After a 13yr absence I was a bit rusty. I completed AOPAs rusty pilot course, completed a flight review and flew a couples hours with an instructor. I wanted more time but the instructor said I was more than ready. I made some great strides and accomplished many personal goals such as a high performance rating (in a cessna182). Then covid happened and I didn't fly for months. I got about 14hrs last year. This year has not been good and weather has not helped either. I am exceedingly disappointed at only flying maybe 6hrs so far.
I am still a low time pilot with approximately 100hrs now and I am getting extremely frustrated with my lack of progress. Not flying for extended periods I feel I am not as safe as I should be and this has affected my confidence. Each time I fly with an instructor they say I am safe have no issues with my abilities. However, this frustration is getting to me and at times I feel like I'm losing the desire to fly. Perhaps I need to find someone to fly with to help reignite my passion and help with confidence. Anyone else been through this or have any ideas or suggestions?

Routine flying is not going to reignite your passion, at least not for me. Plan a trip to a unique destination, or get a new rating. Do you have an instrument rating? The thrill of overcoming a challenge is what keeps people going. Many pilots earn a commercial or ATP certificates even if they have no desire to get a job in aviation.

You don’t need to work on new rating if that is too much right now. You can just work on associated maneuvers like power off 180 landing or something. The challenge will get you thinking differently. Or get enough hours to move displaced dogs or other charity work.

I flew heck I owned a plane in the 80s but didn’t get certificate until 20 years later (kids are expensive) and then had another few years off.

I had to learn how to enjoy the journey

How much progress were you expecting by flying 100 hours spread over 17 years?

I believe the OP was referring to the 20 hours he has flown since returning to the air, not the 100 hours of total flight time accumulated.

His frustration is also directed at CFIs that have told him he is able to fly safely without further instruction. I don't blame him at all for that. It's ridiculous to tell this pilot he can return to the air after 17 years without additional learning.

In addition to the fact he needs remedial training in areas like slow flight regimes and stall avoidance, there have been some significant regulatory changes in the last 16 years, along with advancements in navigation aids and avionics.

Just wanted to say I took a flight instructor flying with me this afternoon in a 182. Felt really good being up in the air again. He said I did great.

A couple more times, go to a few unfamiliar airports with him. Good work, the aviation bug is strong in you.

You don’t need to work on new rating if that is too much right now. You can just work on associated maneuvers like power off 180 landing or something. The challenge will get you thinking differently. Or get enough hours to move displaced dogs or other charity work.

I flew heck I owned a plane in the 80s but didn’t get certificate until 20 years later (kids are expensive) and then had another few years off.

I had to learn how to enjoy the journey

This is great! Agree what the others have said, get up there again. Maybe try something that you found fun before. For me, that would be slips to land, slow flight, landing on grass fields. Whatever you find fun, I'd do a couple of those next. Then maybe try a couple of things you aren't as comfortable with, and make them fun. For me, that was power off above the field to a full landing. Hated them. Now I kinda like them.

Can I ask?
why didn’t you fly during COVID?
I agree with one post above. Listen to your fears and figure out what they are about. There’s an old basketball coach thought I use in flying a lot. Two types of fear. Appropriate fears. Fears that serve you. And destructive fears. Fears that hold you back.
So you got to listen and figure out which one or both is going on.

As for confidence- here’s another basketball line. “ THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN BEING UNCONFIDENT IS BEING CONFIDENT IN SOMETHING YOURE NO GOOD AT.” !!
I love that. Implies so much.

Except for the “flying’s not hard” guy above-(and a hint- those kind aren’t usually as good as they think they are- self awareness not usually their strong point. Flying IS a proficiency- that’s not debatable- if you’re not flying much, you should have a good, proactive plan to keep your abilities up.) most of us have to put in work, get in the air, to stay safe and feel comfortable.
My advise is to start hanging around airports. Study for another rating. Offer to fly with others. Ask if you can ride along as you build friendships. But … do what your instincts are saying. You’re pulled to flying and it doesn’t feel good to not do what you’re pulled to. COVID got isolating. That’s what this sounds like to me. Isolation leads to funks and you got to crawl a couple feet out of a rabbit hole. Don’t let one funk keep you from years of great life experience.

Well, these replies and suggestions are all over the place some more helpful than others. I appreciate everyone's opinions. I really debated posting anything because I didn't want to be seen as a Mr. Whiney pants. But to some I guess I did and that's ok. I see myself in responses from PaulS and others who are matter of fact do it or shut up.

I think many read too much into my comment about losing my passion. It has always been my passion to fly. After getting my certificate in 2004 and having to be "responsible" and hang it up for all those years was not fun. Frankly life happens as we all know and it just wasn't in the picture. Now the kids are grown and out of the house, it's my time again. I want to pick up where I left off and go places. My frustration comes from the slow progress I am making which some have eluded to. I guess I was asking for helpful strategies from others who may have been in a similar situation. Thank you to those who did offer some.

I thought this might be a post that should be in the medical section about those little blue pills...........................

Back