Definitely no AHRS

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
The long XC today allowed enough play time to prove neither GP nor ForeFlight are getting attitude info from the AHRS in the 345 through the Flightstream 510 in the GTN.

So @flyingcheesehead you’ve been through this... what’s the magic incantation of firmware versions this supposedly works in?

You need software level 2.12 for the 345. Known issue with Garmin. I'll bet you are on 2.05 right now.

Why are you routing the feed through the 510 versus direct from the GTX345 via BT?

Why are you routing the feed through the 510 versus direct from the GTX345 via BT?

Same reason most of us are using MS Windows PCs. It seemed like a good idea. At the time...;):D

I don't believe you can. Same reason you can't with the Flightstream 210 as well. We actually played with it transmitting both during install and it vapor locked all of it. Garmin techs had to help out with the mess. This was very shortly after they released the 345, so it really was field experimentation (read R&D). The outcome was that the 210 and 345 are like two brothers that don't like each other. They argue till a fight ensues and then both are out of service!

You need software level 2.12 for the 345. Known issue with Garmin. I'll bet you are on 2.05 right now.

Thanks. I knew it was something like that and the beta versions that worked were supposedly becoming final versions right at our install time. Shop said they put us on the latest non-beta they could. Sounds like we missed by a month.

The STC install docs require the BT in the 345 to be disabled with the FS 510 installed.
Ahh... was not aware of that.....

We added the 345 to our Skylane that has the GNS480. BT'ing the ADSB and AHRS data to the iPad works very well.

I have a GTX345 and FS210 combo that works awesome. Firmware upgrades were made to the latest release levels on both products when installed.

Garmin requires the ADS-B content from their transponders to have a single Bluetooth source. Makes sense.

Garmin requires the ADS-B content from their transponders to have a single Bluetooth source. Makes sense.

Not really. Bluetooth is literally designed to handle a whole crap-ton of devices in a local RF area.

They really should fix whatever their software bugs are that don’t allow you to just leave both enabled and connect to whichever one you want, for redundancy when the GTN craps out and the GTX doesn’t.

That is the whole point of having an AHRS in the transponder, after all.

There’s rumors that some people have asked installers to leave the FS210 and the 345 both active “by accident” during installs. Some say it works fine, others say it has a hissy fit.

I think the whole “one source” BS is to make sure idiots don’t tell their tablets to auto connect to them and end up on the “wrong” one by being lazy about their pre-flight tablet setup because “non-tech lazy pilot potato”.

It should be really obvious when you can’t send a flight plan either direction that you’re hooked to the 345 and not the GTN. But some people are blithering idiots...

Device #1 automatically connects to device A

Device #2 automatically connects to device B

:rolleyes:

Device #1 automatically connects to device A

Device #2 automatically connects to device B

:rolleyes:

Hahaha. Multiple tablets. Although technically if you disable device B like they want you to, we can’t do that setup either. :)

The long XC today allowed enough play time to prove neither GP nor ForeFlight are getting attitude info from the AHRS in the 345 through the Flightstream 510 in the GTN.

So @flyingcheesehead you’ve been through this... what’s the magic incantation of firmware versions this supposedly works in?

What did it for us was for the GTX345 to have version 2.10 or later.

What did it for us was for the GTX345 to have version 2.10 or later.

Thanks. Yeah saw that. I thought we were but now not sure.

Saw that Garmin Pilot added a feature that will grab and track firmware versions of any devices that have connected to it.

Need the airplane to come back out of the shop to go connect It and see.

Guessing it won’t be right.

Then I’ll need a trip to Alamosa to flash it.

:)

Back