Deferred applications and government shutdown..

Status
Not open for further replies.

HIMSpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HIMSpilot
Hello
Any thoughts on how/if a shutdown could affect those of us who are awaiting HIMS SI?
Thanks

Many federal offices will be on reduced manning during periods of shut down. It's difficult to tell the impact, since federal office manning varies so much. These shutdowns are political theater done at our expense as citizens and (federally employed people as the case may be). In my experience they also tend to last short amounts of time.

SIs for small fry people (non-airline affiliated) tend to be protracted as it is, I would guess the additional delay would not be outsized from the already sclerotic timeline you guys suffer from. Let's hope the theater is short-lived this time. Good luck to ya.

CAMI is not a mission critical office; workers will be furloughed in the event of a shutdown.

Many federal offices will be on reduced manning during periods of shut down. It's difficult to tell the impact, since federal office manning varies so much. These shutdowns are political theater done at our expense as citizens and (federally employed people as the case may be). In my experience they also tend to last short amounts of time.

SIs for small fry people (non-airline affiliated) tend to be protracted as it is, I would guess the additional delay would not be outsized from the already sclerotic timeline you guys suffer from. Let's hope the theater is short-lived this time. Good luck to ya.
Thank you! .. incidentally, when I spoke with the DC flight surgeon office, I asked if employed airline pilots get priority and his answer was no.. not sure if I believe him. Anyway, thanks again!

Theater, certainly. But it does serve to remind us that the national debt never stops growing.

It most likely will slow the works…staff will be further reduced to nil during the shut down…. And fighting piles of work when they return. It’ll be a mess.

It most likely will slow the works…staff will be further reduced to nil during the shut down…. And fighting piles of work when they return. It’ll be a mess.
Thanks .. let’s hope it doesn’t happen.

Contact your Representative and make your opinion known about the possible shutdown.
I already did, and told him that I think it’s a good idea to shut the government down. Leverage changes from the current administration before reopening the government. Sometimes you have to break the system to fix it.

Last edited:
Every USG shutdown so far has kept “essential” services working. So why on earth are we going deeper and deeper into debt to pay for non-essentials in the first place?

Are there ever any significant savings when the government shuts down? Just a question.

Are there ever any significant savings when the government shuts down? Just a question.
No....it's worse than that. Workers are forced to do nothing during the shutdown....and will be back paid a week or two later after things open up. So there is no productivity during this event....and will take weeks to dig out of the piling in-baskets. So, a week long shut down will likely affect several weeks worth additional slowness.

I already did, and told him that I think it’s a good idea to shut the government down. Leverage changes from the current administration before reopening the government. Sometimes you have to break the system to fix it.
Meanwhile I’m without a medical. Gee thanks..

No....it's worse than that. Workers are forced to do nothing during the shutdown....and will be back paid a week or two later after things open up. So there is no productivity during this event....and will take weeks to dig out of the piling in-baskets. So, a week long shut down will likely affect several weeks worth additional slowness.
The problem is that no one ever wants to say that the furloughed workers don't get paid for the time they didn't work. Because it's the government, not the real world.

Reactions: cdb
The problem is that no one ever wants to say that the furloughed workers don't get paid for the time they didn't work. Because it's the government, not the real world.
Not entirely true. They have asked, and I’ve offered to take voluntarily leave without pay during a budget crisis. It doesn’t happen often but it has happened. I think I was off about a week. Went fishing, got some work done around the house. Clocked LWOP. Happily I don’t live paycheck to paycheck.

Not entirely true. They have asked, and I’ve offered to take voluntarily leave without pay during a budget crisis. It doesn’t happen often but it has happened. I think I was off about a week. Clocked LWOP. Happily I don’t live paycheck to paycheck.
There are also a lot of contractors who have to go without pay during shutdowns. Or are forced to take their saved paid time off until it runs out, then they get nothing. (And don't get any back pay once work resumes)

Every USG shutdown so far has kept “essential” services working. So why on earth are we going deeper and deeper into debt to pay for non-essentials in the first place?
My BIL was an attorney for the EPA. (I didn't know that the EPA has more lawyers than the Justice Department).
He looked forward to every government shutdown, knowing he would be paid back pay when it ended. So he always took spur-of-the-moment vacations during shutdowns. The worst thing that ever happened to him was when he was in Greece during a shutdown that ended rather suddenly and he had to arrange to get home quickly.
But in answer to your question as to why we keep going deeper in debt; it is because we keep electing politicians that think we can spend our way to Utopia.

This will be furlough #4 for me.

I feel for you. The funding circus was a significant contributor to not only retire, but leave the government/gov supplier or contractor sector entirely.

This will be me wife’s sixth between her prior service and GS time. She is a contracting officer and has been advised even though non-critical, if furloughed she’ll still be expected to issue contracts. There’s something wrong with that as there is no guarantee for backpay for non mission essential personnel.

Not entirely true. They have asked, and I’ve offered to take voluntarily leave without pay during a budget crisis. It doesn’t happen often but it has happened. I think I was off about a week. Went fishing, got some work done around the house. Clocked LWOP. Happily I don’t live paycheck to paycheck.
I'm glad that at least some people who aren't working aren't getting paid.

But in answer to your question as to why we keep going deeper in debt; it is because we keep electing politicians that think we can spend our way to Utopia.
I think it's more like because people who think we can spend our way to Utopia keep electing politicians. Politicians, as a rule, aren't that dumb (hence why their actions don't match their words).

However contractors may or may not get paid. I was on contract at Bureau of Land Management during the last shutdown. We had a very serious problem recovering from many days out, and did not get paid for the time out. During this time no applications for permits were accepted. No work reviewing existing permits was allowed. We're talking millions of $$$ that got caught in limbo and took weeks, some took months, to recover. So don't assume everyone gets back pay during shut down.

Let's talk about another issue if the Feds are shut down. Is your airport or one you visit frequently undergoing upgrades, improvements, etc? As a rule, the Feds fund 80-90% of those improvements. If shut down, the work comes to a complete halt because the contractors will not be paid. The airport may or may not close. With a 1 runway airport, you may be stuck someplace away from home. Or if at home, not able to use your aircraft.

Let's talk about another issue if the Feds are shut down. Is your airport or one you visit frequently undergoing upgrades, improvements, etc? As a rule, the Feds fund 80-90% of those improvements. If shut down, the work comes to a complete halt because the contractors will not be paid. The airport may or may not close. With a 1 runway airport, you may be stuck someplace away from home. Or if at home, not able to use your aircraft.

I’ve been stuck when they were working, too, so what’s the difference?

I'm glad that at least some people who aren't working aren't getting paid.
I'm glad that you are glad. FWIW, When Covid hit and all of the office types were sitting at home 'teleworking', myself, (the production support engineer) and the artisans that I support, were coming in everyday...every..D..day, overhauling aircraft (H-53, V-22, H-1, AV-8) and returning them to the fleet. 2500 government artisans and a hundred government engineers working in close quarters, wearing the same masks days in a row, hoping not to 'get the 'Vid'. Never missed a delivery date. Lot's got sick. A few died.
You are welcome.

They could also just do their job, but that clearly isn’t of interest to team Red in the House.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back