Deferment/Felony

czar1974...I was convicted of multiple counts of non-violent felony theft in 1997, served four years, and was released in 2001 with no parole/probation. I had no infractions with the law prior to my conviction, and have had none since. Flying is something I always wanted to pursue, but obviously, I made very poor choices. Consequently I thought flying would be closed forever.

In late 2009 I read a book by Joe Balzar called Flying Drunk. www.flyingdrunk.com/flying_drunk.htm

It outlines his first in the nation (at that time) conviction for flying under the influence. He was convicted of a felony along with his crew captain. He lost all of his flight licenses and everything he had worked for. Long story short the book details his recovery from alcoholism, his having to reacquire all of his flight licenses, and his battle to regain employment. All of which he accomplished with the felony on his record. He is currently a pilot for American Airlines.

Joe's story gave me a glimmer of hope and I decided to attempt to acquire my pilots license with my wife's encouragement. I applied for my Class 1 medical in Jan 2010, and it was issued about 60 days later. So, to answer your question comprehensively; yes, you can and should be able to acquire your medical certificate provided you were candid with your AME on your medical about your criminal history.

However, before I decided to pursue this I will let you know that I did a tremendous amount of research on the topic. I am going to include some information via links that you can read to gain a greater clarification. Many people who post simply know nothing about this topic. (And why should they? They have not had to deal with these obstacles). Therefore, it is your obligation to seek out legitimate sources of information on the topic, and I hope that I can add to your understanding.

Aviation Attorney George Moore discussed this issue in Plane & Pilot Magazine's online edition of February 2001. Yes, this article was pre 9/11 but his advice is still valid.
answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=53201

Here is an excellent answer from Max Trescott
http://www.maxtrescott.com/max_tres...dvice-for-a-felon-who-wants-a-flying-job.html

Lori Clark is an aviation consultant who I personally spoke to regarding my situation. She provides sound advice and excellent knowledge. You can find her response to the security questions, conditions for obtaining a SIDA badge, and felony issues here
http://clarkconsulting.blogspot.com/2009/07/felony-convictions-and-airline-pilot.html

Lastly, still not convinced what I was hearing was true, I did join AOPA and enroll in the legal services plan for $33.00. They will put you in contact with an attorney and you can share your concerns, questions and story with them. In my case, although I knew I could obtain my private license, I wanted to talk to them about legitimate employment in the industry as a professional pilot. You may be shocked to learn that it is not in and of itself a barrier to employment, provided ten years have lapsed, and you are able to acquire your SIDA badge. The attorney told me of a number of cases of pilots he has worked with who had criminal history issues. I am in no way implying that it is a large number, it is not, but that it is simply not as isolated as you might think.

I hope this information provides you with some solid footing to pursue your aspirations.

Regards,
Redemption Flyer

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back