Deer strike

But.... the insurance co could just buy a quick build wing set right? Then have a spare RH wing for the next one?

Don't you think it will fly a little funny with the propeller pointed off to the side? :D

Thats stinks to put all that work into it and "blam." At 72 doesn't sound like he is going to be doing it again.

I have had two very close misses with deer on the runway at night.
If you fly to rural airports they are a very real menace.

Even in Norwood Mass (KOWD) we are having problems with deer. Quite often they are right beside the runway while landing.

I have hit one before. It didn't fare well for the deer, but didn't do much damage to the plane at all.

Don't you think it will fly a little funny with the propeller pointed off to the side? :D

It's hard to see any misalignment in that picture. If that's the case, just find a "prop tree" and pull the nose back into alignment and hold if via duct tape :rofl:

Had a very close call with deer at Tipton KFME at night was coming in and at about 10 off the ground saw the deer in the headlights :) Added power and overflew them and landed a little bit longer then planned but was fine. Happened too quick for me to get really upset about until after I had rolled out.

This is very sad. There was a deer strike last year at the field where I go for fuel, and I've seen a momma doe and her fawn strolling along just the other side of the parallel taxiway at home base, earlier this spring. They are everywhere.

Last edited:
Two encounters, one dead cow Elk with a Cherokee (the Jeep variety ;)) and one near miss with doe that ran across the runway as I was turning onto the taxiway in a Cherokee (of the Piper variety) after landing.

Cheers

Okay...C'Mon - really. This was at Vinton Airport, and he didn't think about the possiblity of deer. The name is too coincidental.

Deer Strike,

Today I completed fighter pilot school and look forward to joining you in the det. I hope my wingman isn't dangerous as you described that tool you flew with. Anyway, got my sunglasses and my volleyball game is tight. See you soon.

Capt. Captain

Question: When a deer comes off strike is it a scab?

This guy must have been the Lead in the formation landing...

Capt. Captain

We had a Captain on the cadre in AFROTC who one cadet didn't like and referred to as "Captain Captain, because he is everything Major Major wasn't."

OK, folks - what was he referring to? :D

The TV broadcast version of this story explained that deer strikes are prevented at the nearby Class C airport by an 8-foot fence that surrounds the property, plus security that controls the wildlife. The small GA airport where this deer strike occurred had no such fence.

I suppose that protection from deer is one thing you get by operating out of a larger airport.

We had a Captain on the cadre in AFROTC who one cadet didn't like and referred to as "Captain Captain, because he is everything Major Major wasn't."

OK, folks - what was he referring to? :D

Catch 22. Lt Major was Promoted immediately to Major so he could be Major Major.

Jumped over Capt Yossarian who was po'd.

Cheers

We had a bunch of deer run across in front of us at PACD early one morning. The majority of them split with half turning back and half grabbing another gear and passing off to our right. But the crew said one went between #2 and the fuselage, one between the fuselage and #3 and our crew chief swore one went between #3 and #4. Not a hair touched. I was too busy trying to just focus on keeping us on the runway to see much more than greyish blurs. :hairraise: :dunno:

That should buff right out. One of the advantages of home built vs. factory.

Back