Decongestants

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
The FDA announced last month that phenylephrine doesn’t work (but is safe).
[confusingly they are not banning it due to ‘industry concerns’]

Did it work for you? I was pretty sure it worked.

The other (and slightly-similarly named) oral decongestant, pseudoephedrine is still available although you have to ask the pharmacist for it (but its not pres).

The most effective 'decongestant' I have used in the past several years is Dymista nasal spray (fluticasone/azelastine- corticosteroid and antihistamine). It is now generic and around $60/vial for a 30 day supply vs $350. However, both components are now OTC and you can save a bit of money if you are willing to dose each drug separately. Very effective and non-drowsy in my experience.

Phenylpropanolamine worked great for me until the FDA banned it due to cva's in some populations.

The most effective 'decongestant' I have used in the past several years is Dymista nasal spray (fluticasone/azelastine- corticosteroid and antihistamine). It is now generic and around $60/vial for a 30 day supply vs $350. However, both components are now OTC and you can save a bit of money if you are willing to dose each drug separately. Very effective and non-drowsy in my experience.
PE is actually pretty effective if used as a nasal spray. It just doesn't get there if you orally ingest it.

Did it work for you? I was pretty sure it worked.
No. I had a laugh when this was announced recently. When they changed the formulation many years ago, I could tell immediately that something was different, and stopped taking Sudafed.

Been saying for years it didn't work and remember reading studies/articles stating the same. Popped them things like Skittles....nothing.

I had pretty bad seasonal allergies. Grass, dust,trees mold. After getting tested the allergist said "I've been doing this 27 years and have had 3 people react like you did." After getting sick twice in 3 weeks I finally got allergy shots. 3 times a week initially. Spring was the worst, now it's only late august/September that I notice them. Take the tag to the pharmacist, get your license scanned and get the real stuff.

I believe it was the Bush administration that banned OTC pseudoephedrine sales because the tweakers were playing Walter White.

I can not recommend allergy shots enough.

I remember at one time OTC decongestants and antihistamines seemed to work much better. Nowdays, even the Sudafed that you have to get from behind the counter doesn't do much for me. It makes me sleepy. But, then I still wake up congested and feeling hung over.

Same here. Suffered incredibly in spring and fall for a decade, plus cats, dogs, horses mold, dust etc. Did the shots and now my immune system only suffers on high allergen days and when in musty houses. It's a real chore getting up to maintenance dose but the quality of life is worth it.

Back