Decision Path 1 (off SSRI) Experience

N

Newbie pilot

Has anyone recently gone through Decision path 1 (off SSRI’S)? Do you care to share your experience? Currently flying under sport pilot regs. with a driver’s license only but want to upgrade to private. My life is completely benign with a stable job, stable family, finances are in order, do not drink, do not smoke, have never used drugs, no DUI’s, no past convictions, no hidden skeletons, etc. By all accounts, I am fine but proving my innocence against a perception of guilt seems almost insurmountable. My non HIMS AME is also a pilot but she is hesitant to send in my application for Class III medical knowing that if I do not pass, I lose my sport pilot privileges. I know about Basic med but need my class III first.

I was on an approved SSRI for less than a year and have been off it for more than 2. I went on the drug with no issues and came off it without issue. All of this is documented through letters from my treating physician (family doc not psychiatrist). Hindsight is always 20/20 and had I known of the difficulties I am encountering now, the SSRI use should have been avoided. I am trying not to further complicate what is essentially just a hobby for me by not going down a rabbit hole of additional costly and time-consuming requirements being thrust upon me by the FAA (cog screen, psych eval, etc.)

I successfully navigated this scenario, but completely unprepared and unaware when I submitted MedExpress. I was deferred, they requested pharmacy records for 3 years, a report from my Psychiatrist, report from AME. I got my 3rd class SI 6 months from initial applications, requiring AME/Psychiatrist reports every 6 months for renewal for duration of 5 years. I was on SSRI for 1.5 years.

I think it best that you contact one of the three AME's on this board. From their past posts, it seems that short term (< 6 months) and one time would make it easier. Since you were on it longer, then that might not qualify. But you are now off of it, so it would be the SSRI decision path 1 - which would require being off and going through the COGscreen/HIMS process and you scoring well on that relative to others. But most appear to be successful if they truly dont need it. But yes, you will potentially jeopardize your sport pilot license. I would contact wingman med or Dr Fowler as Dr Chien appears to not be taking new patients. And let them guide you through as it appears that you'll have to go through the HIMS process.

I'm currently in the same process. I have consulted with my AME but haven't had an examination. I was on SSRI for just under 4 years. My AME said all I need to do is bring in a note from the prescribing physician that I am symptom free and doing well and he will issue. However, your situation may be different since the one who prescribed you is not a psychiatrist. My AME said that he can issue since the one taking me off and evaluating my current state is a psychiatrist. In his words, he doesn't believe the FAA will request evaluations because I essentially have been evaluated and monitored by the same doctor for years. You never know though. The FAA can request anything from you and every situation is different. Consult with your AME and try your best to avoid a deferral (sometimes it's inevitable).

So the critical testimoniy from the prescriber (only a psychiatrist please if the exposure is > 24 months) are:

Sole episode in his lifetime
No Psychosis nor sucidality during this period
Start date
End date
Detailed diagnosis
Name the stimulus that required you to get psych supprt
What was used
That he has seen you at >>60 days after discontinuation and there are no symtpoms remaining, and
That the stimulus (named) has resolved.

So the critical testimoniy from the prescriber (only a psychiatrist please if the exposure is > 24 months) are:

Sole episode in his lifetime
No Psychosis nor sucidality during this period
Start date
End date
Detailed diagnosis
Name the stimulus that required you to get psych supprt
What was used
That he has seen you at >>60 days after discontinuation and there are no symtpoms remaining, and
That the stimulus (named) has resolved.
So I have all of that and more. It seems all my documentation is buttoned up properly. My goal is to avoid the Cog Screen and other costly requirements that the FAA may require to prove I am not mentally and physically unfit to fly. This will never be a career for me and will remain a hobby but I can't justify spending thousands for tests my doctor, my AME, and I feel are unnecessary but ultimately, I know the FAA can require whatever they want. More importantly, I do not want to jeopardize my sport pilot privileges.

It sounds like you're on the right track. Unless required for another reason the "Cog Screen" - or neurocognitive assessment - is only required if you are currently taking an SSRI. In your case, I doubt the SSRI use will raise eyebrows at the FAA. They key will be your underlying diagnosis and the quality of your prescribing physician's documentation.

Back