Decent ANR headsets on a budget

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I have a couple of students shopping for a pair of ANR headsets on a budget. I've pointed out the squawkshoppe.com units to them. I'm looking for any other recommendations.

Softcomm seems to have some reasonable ones, but it's tough to find any info on the specific units or compare features. Their website (http://softcommheadsets.com/index.html) looks like it was built by somebody's sister using one of the mid-90s vintage web editors.

Any others?

I think when I asked the same question years ago, someone suggested Marv Golden as a potential source. A list of ANR's from them sorted by price can be found at this link.

My suggestion for the students, especially the ones who plan on continuing their flying, is to consider the "name brand" sets such as Lightspeed. Yes, they are pricey, but now that I have a Zulu.2 and nearly 100hrs on it, I'm very satisfied with the purchase and consider it to be good value for money spent.

I have 2 pair of Pacific Coast Avionics store brand headsets that I have been using for 7-8 years. They compare favorable with expensive top end sets I have tried. They just now need new ear pads. I leave them in the plane and the hot AZ Summers probably shortened the life of the ear pads. The hangar easily gets up to 110-115.

Paul Salome, AZ

I have a set of Soft Coms I updated with the Headsets Inc. add on ANR. Aviation consumer gave them good marks. I have been using them for about 4 years with no problems. The kit was $169 if you install.

My suggestion for the students, especially the ones who plan on continuing their flying, is to consider the "name brand" sets such as Lightspeed. Yes, they are pricey, but now that I have a Zulu.2 and nearly 100hrs on it, I'm very satisfied with the purchase and consider it to be good value for money spent.

The other option for a student who isn't sure or doesn't want to put the money down now (I'm biased because I did it this way) is to get a decent-but-not-everything-you-could-ever-dream-of headset now (for me, it was Lightspeed QFR Solos, which are great for passive reduction but not around anymore) and then if you decide you'll be flying a lot after getting the ticket, get a better headset then (Clarity Aloft for me, and very happy) and use the others as a passenger set... Better than hoping the FBO has an extra set kicking around every time you want to take someone up.

Over the past few years, I have bought 3 Victor1 - ANR headsets (made by Lightspeed but not branded as such) from Tinaspilotshop in Texas. Tina has provided great service, and Lightspeed honored the warranty fully when one broke. I don't know if they are still available or not, but you can check it out. Tina is really great about helping out if you need anything. I think the ANR versions were about $260 if I remember correctly.

What sort of budget? You can find several good ANR headsets in the $350-400 range, including the Pilot 17-79 I used for over ten years before I replaced it with a Lightspeed Zulu.2.

but it's tough to find any info on the specific units or compare features. Their website (http://softcommheadsets.com/index.html) looks like it was built by somebody's sister using one of the mid-90s vintage web editors.
Any others?

That IS an embarrassing website... definitely the old FrontPage editor.

It looks like Softcomm really isn't setup to deal with the public directly, but would rather have you go to dealers like MyPilotStore or MarvGolden. Much better info, and prices, there.

I would recommend a used Bose X if they can find them, usually priced well under $500.00 and they are great headsets.:D I've bought 2 used pair and they are both great, I did replace the ear seals. ;)

I bought their cheapest non-ANR headset to have a cheap unused passenger headset for like $80 and I cant say i'm overly impressed. The microphone sucks, but if cost is a major concern, maybe you guys will have better luck than I. The ANR is Only $199

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111133825029?lpid=82

http://www.brgprecision.com/products/Aviation/AH2000ANR.php

makayla_withprice_600pix.jpg

I spent a couple of months waiting for something on ebay. Might take a while... Problem is, many times items are bid up to just a few bucks under the price of new.

I bought a pair of Faro ANRs when I started back flying after a 10-year break. I wanted the ANR, but wasn't willing to spend almost a grand. I got the Faros for just under $400.

They aren't as light as the more expensive ones (but a little lighter that a standard passive model) and the cord was a little short for my airplane (had to buy an extension) but for the money they are a great headset. My old Softcomms are now relegated to passenger/backup use.

Paging Shane Schmidt - Shane Schmidt please pick up the white courtesy phone

Hello? yes hello? Is anyone there? You guys are great. :yes:

I see no bad advice here. As you all know, you get what you pay for and it's dependant on your mission and your wants. Just decide what's most important for you, and let that dictate your budget, instead of the other way around.

The only funny thing is that picture of the girl with those "BRG" headset on...wow. But I know exactly who made them. :nono:

If any of you guys/girls have questions about headsets, and what you need, just call us. We're not out to push you our product over others, and we'll point you in the right direction, whether that's ours or somebody else. We make a great headset, but so do some other mfg's.

I've done all the research, and we've gone through many changes, so I can talk your ear off.

Good luck, and I hope you find what you need.

Over the past few years, I have bought 3 Victor1 - ANR headsets (made by Lightspeed but not branded as such) from Tinaspilotshop in Texas. Tina has provided great service, and Lightspeed honored the warranty fully when one broke. I don't know if they are still available or not, but you can check it out. Tina is really great about helping out if you need anything. I think the ANR versions were about $260 if I remember correctly.
:yeahthat:I still wear the Victor 1 when my wife takes my Zulu's. Tina is great!!!

I spent a couple of months waiting for something on ebay. Might take a while... Problem is, many times items are bid up to just a few bucks under the price of new.

That's what I did for my Sennheiser S1 Digital.

Took me almost 3 months, but I scored a pretty much brand new set for $650.

Here's what I did: Buy some old Bose (or other) headphones on EBAY from a reputable seller. While this is a great approach for any headsets, Bose can be factory reconditioned to brand new condition at any time for a modest cost.

I'm really happy with my Bose X (slightly used) and so are my passengers!

I don't think Softcomm still makes my C-90 headsets, but I have two pair. One I got in the AOPA silent auction in 2000 and a second pair I bought in early 2001 so my wife would have a pair after I passed my check ride. They are still my primary headsets. I've had my headset back to them for repairs, but they still work fine. Very comfortable (for me). YMMV

Nobody suggesting the Bose QC-15(?) plus the U-Fly Mike combination?

Quiet Technologies Halo. Quietest, most comfortable headset I've ever used. It's quieter than a Bose A20, at least on my ears, and I have worn it for up to six hours in one day with no discomfort at all.

Nobody suggesting the Bose QC-15(?) plus the U-Fly Mike combination?

I have a set that I always keep in my bag (I use the QC-15 as my airline headphones when not as a headset) as a backup in case I forget my A20 or it breaks. The QC-15 uFlyMike combo is fantastic, it is 80% of an A20 for 50% cost. In fact I think for less than 600 you can buy everything new. Plus you can make no interest payments on the QC-15 from Bose if you so desire. They are used in a lot of GA, the 121 world and have widespread use in the 135 world.

I have a set that I always keep in my bag (I use the QC-15 as my airline headphones when not as a headset) as a backup in case I forget my A20 or it breaks. The QC-15 uFlyMike combo is fantastic, it is 80% of an A20 for 50% cost. In fact I think for less than 600 you can buy everything new. Plus you can make no interest payments on the QC-15 from Bose if you so desire. They are used in a lot of GA, the 121 world and have widespread use in the 135 world.

I can also vouch for this rig.

I train using Bose A20s and I fly right seat or as a passenger with my QC15/UflyMike combo. It's hard to tell the difference to me. IIRC, Bose actually gave me a $99 credit toward the QC15s when I traded in my old broken QC2s. I use them to fly commercially, cut the grass, work in my shop, drown out my loud teenagers, etc. They're great for general use as well. That way, you're not making only an aviation investment.

Back