December 7th - Let us not forget

NC Pilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
NC Pilot
Let's not forget today and the sacrifices made by a great generation during WW ll.

My son, Tommy, reminded me last night that we had to commemorate the heroes lost on December 7, 1941. Eleven years old, and I think he now knows as much military history as I do, but more importantly (and unusual, in today's times), he understands the importance of knowing it.

I was sad to lose Discovery Wings, but gained Military Channel, Tommy's principal TV destination.

Heard on the radio this morning that in interviews with many of the survivors who are gathering at Pearl that this would probably be their last trip. Most are in their 80's and 90's. Another generation nearly gone.

Heard on the radio this morning that in interviews with many of the survivors who are gathering at Pearl that this would probably be their last trip. Most are in their 80's and 90's. Another generation nearly gone.

The big reunions happen every 5 years. This is the 65th anniversary of the attack so the net big reunion would be in 5 more years and by then many will be gone. So the PH:Survivors Org. Is making this the last big bash. But every year many survivors come and pay their respects.

Thanks, Tim. Great story. Sadly, I'll bet there are a bunch of stories like this that will go untold, and soon will be gone forever.

Amen.

65 years ago, isn't that something. wow.

I plan to be back in Normandy for the 65th anniversary, is anyone else here planning to go?

that really would be neat wouldn't it?

I'm a definite unless something dire comes up and I cannot make it...

Thanks for the rememberance.

My Dad joined the Army after that and served in WWII. Growing up, I knew a lot of vets that were friends of my Dad, and later from my time in service. Fewer around now.
Hope those that can make the trip one more time have a great reunion.

Best,

Dave

There's a great thread on the red board about WWII vets. My dad joined the USMC in March 1942 at the age of 16. Spent his 17th birthday on Guadalcanal before being evacuated to New Zealand for treatment of malaria.

This day is always a big deal in my family, as all of my living relatives that were alive at the time and old enough served in WWII. We usually have a rememberance ceremony at my parent's house.

I'm sure this year will be no different.

I don't see how any realistic person could forget.

BTW: I was just a few minutes ago pleasantly surprised to see a bunch of very young people in a music video about the Normandy Invasion, performed by My Chemical Romance on the Rockin America program. So in some form, there are those in the youger generations that remember in their way.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
:blueplane: ApacheBob

There were a few at work today that kept asking why the flags were at "half mast". I had to correct them about the 'mast' thing and then explained that on Pearl Harbor Day the flags are flow at half staff.

I've been guilty of that slip of wording myself on occasion and after extensive psychoanalysis, attributed it to an innate desire to be temporarily back at sea once more.

These folks are truly heros. We must not forget them. The Philly papers were relating the story of a local Pearl Vet who is on his last legs only 111lbs wheel chair bound and in constant pain who flew the 14 hrs to PHNL to make the reunion when he boarded the plane in Philly the flight crew all saluted him. That chokes you up but is truly the way it should be.

The media reports it will be the last official runion of the pearl harbour survivors assn. My Uncle is a Vet of the Army Aircorps who flew the hump in WWII I love spending time with him at Lakewood airport in NJ. Last year was the last offical reunion of his alumni assn the Hump Pilots Assn. G-d bless them all.

I lost two great Uncles in the Pacific. Obviously, I never knew them, but each was a favorite of my respective parents. I have pictures of both hanging in my house (and I carry the name of one of them.)

The dignity of the Pearl Harbor attack survivors never ceases to amaze me. What is even more impressive is that they can stand with the Japanese veterans of the attack as brothers, and share a common bond. Would that we all could be so forgiving!!!!!!!

Amen.

65 years ago, isn't that something. wow.

I plan to be back in Normandy for the 65th anniversary, is anyone else here planning to go?

That would be good. Plenty of time to plan.

My mother-in-law was an Army nurse who came ashore on Omaha Beach on June 7, 1944.

Back