December 17, 1903

I was given an 8-part audiobook on the Wright brothers. All I can say is that it's really opened my eyes to who the brothers really were. Their entire journey is fascinating. Not just "those guys who flew first."

Edit: David McCullough - The Wright Brothers (read by the author)

Last edited:
Where's that nutcase who drones on and on about the Wright Bros not doing squat? He's usually entertaining. :D

I was given an 8-part audiobook on the Wright brothers. All I can say is that it's really opened my eyes to who the brothers really were. Their entire journey is fascinating. Not just "those guys who flew first."

I read the book. I agree it is fascinating!

-Skip

Two wrongs do not make a right,

but two Wrights made an airplane.....

Where's that nutcase who drones on and on about the Wright Bros not doing squat? He's usually entertaining. :D

He gets redirected to the wright brothers wikipedia page when he comes to POA now. That's the rumor I heard.

I thought someone said the Wright brothers were not first... :stirpot:

Yeah I read that one too. I recommend.

They need to be on the $100 bill. After all, they made the proverbial burger flight possible. :yes: :D

They need to be on the $100 bill. After all, they made the proverbial burger flight possible. :yes: :D

Well, they're on a quarter. Is that good enough?

Doesn't that make them two-bit aviators?

FWIW, they weren't just bicycle mechanics. They were bicycle manufacturers. And their bikes were surprisingly modern.

Last edited:
Hey, not to steal any of Orville and Wilbur's thunder here, but today is also the anniversary of the DC-3's first flight. Gotta love the goonie bird!

The credit for a scientific discovery or invention goes to the ones who made their discovery known to the world.

The Wrights are the ones. Celebrate Dec 19.

Gustave Whitehead may have flown first, but he did not have any PR people working for him.

Gustave Whitehead may have hopped before the Wrights flew. By Whitehead's own statements he did not achieve controlled flight before the Wrights.

Back