Deadly turn to final

Give it a break.

Not gonna happen. For years (decades likely) he has been deliberately misleading people into thinking he was a fighter pilot. Some military brothers would accuse him of stolen valor. It's so unnecessary Ron. Your service as a WSO was honorable. Leave it at that.

That youtuber likes to do dumb things at times. While he is good at promoting GA, I don't think he's always the best example of what a conservative pilot should be doing.

Someone called him out on the pull-up... Some excuse about the stall horn not being calibrated correctly.

I should post post the one where he's texting on short final. :yikes:

Missed that one. He also got lit up for flying at night to an airport with closed runways, which he would have known about had he recieved a briefing.

Hi Blackhawk.... Yep, I read this thread....

I have my students check their trim on base and on final. Hands off the yoke check trim speed. Makes life so easy. You ought to be able to fly a pattern with only your forefinger on the yoke.

I had one student overshoot badly one day - one of our typical windy days - I thought this will be interesting, he was near solo- he hauled it over in a 45-50* bank coordinated and flew it back to where it should be... Landed it and did the touch n go like normal. I congratulated him for FLYING the plane and then we discussed his other options. Banking doesn't kill you, all my guys and gals know this. We practice as many variations of patterns done right as patterns gone wrong, and power off 180s. We do the cross controlled base to final this doesn't feel right gig at Altitude. We even do some tailwind landing set ups so they learn how weird it is.
Honestly, limiting the bank in the pattern is a travesty.

PS: Jeff sold the Sukhoi :( he might go get Scott's Yak at 5t6

Last edited:
Not gonna happen. For years (decades likely) he has been deliberately misleading people into thinking he was a fighter pilot. Some military brothers would accuse him of stolen valor. It's so unnecessary Ron. Your service as a WSO was honorable. Leave it at that.

This might be the most interesting part of this thread! ;)

I fly a little tighter pattern than many, and that's fine, but please, if you are going to fly shallow turns.... when you call base, please at least be within 10 miles of the airport.

Working on my multi in an old travel air, called 4 miles out, over the golf balls. (A well known local reporting point on a Left 45 entry to the downwind). Two responses came back, one on base, second guy #2 turning base. Ok, I'm #3, lots of time, I still have a couple miles before I turn downwind. Slow pretty quick to blue line to give them time. Looking.... Looking.... Abeam the numbers.... Looking... Oh there's a guy just off my nose. I'll extend for him. He must be #2. Nope, #1. I had to angle out to the right to go behind #2 and still ended up going around as #2 was still on the runway. I could have cut off both of them, landed, and maybe been waiting for them to finish landing.

Maybe this should be in the section about radio coms, and accurately representing your position. But this has happened more than once. This was the most egregious incident though.

No more than an instructor taking credit for talking a trainee through an instrument approach, and before he got his glasses, my first A-6 pilot needed that assistance. :eek:

That comparison is, at best, quite a stretch.

Only thing I was thinking about was that must be really good gum.

Don't miss the other gem where he took off with 9 gallons of fuel in a 172, on an evening flight no less.

You ought to be able to fly a pattern with only your forefinger on the yoke.

You got that right, Jean. That is the way it should be done. The airplane wants to fly if the pilot will just let it. Kind of like "Star Wars" when Obiwan told Luke to "listen to the force." Pilots need to listen to the airplane.

Last edited:
Refreshing to read, glad you are teaching pilots it is OK to turn.
Hi Blackhawk.... Yep, I read this thread....

I have my students check their trim on base and on final. Hands off the yoke check trim speed. Makes life so easy. You ought to be able to fly a pattern with only your forefinger on the yoke.

I had one student overshoot badly one day - one of our typical windy days - I thought this will be interesting, he was near solo- he hauled it over in a 45-50* bank coordinated and flew it back to where it should be... Landed it and did the touch n go like normal. I congratulated him for FLYING the plane and then we discussed his other options. Banking doesn't kill you, all my guys and gals know this. We practice as many variations of patterns done right as patterns gone wrong, and power off 180s. We do the cross controlled base to final this doesn't feel right gig at Altitude. We even do some tailwind landing set ups so they learn how weird it is.
Honestly, limiting the bank in the pattern is a travesty.

PS: Jeff sold the Sukhoi :( he might go get Scott's Yak at 5t6

You got that right, Jean. That is the way it should be done. The airplane wants to fly if the pilot will just let it. Kind of like "Star Wars" when Obiwan told Luke to "listen to the force." Pilots need to listen to the airplane.

That or the words of that famous pilot Ty Webb. "There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the airplane."

Well, I think this is a circular argument. I can do pretty much anything with a plane that most other can do, some of it worse, most of it better. I've been vicariously described as a good stick and rudder guy. But that's not what he was crowing about. You see, he can do a tight pattern, and he can do it safely in a GA plane, so why can't I? It's not at all about comfort.

If you want a tight pattern, and 45deg bank, and 1.3Vso, the margin for error is lower. This has nothing to do with comfort it's just physics. Which brings us back to the reason for this thread. People still die from pattern stall/spin. There are simple, and effective ways to minimize them, that also have nothing to do with comfort. Make a wider pattern, reduce bank angle, maintain speed and your margin for error just went up a lot. Of course, as someone has noted, then you may not be in gliding distance of a runway. If one is concerned about that, maybe stay in the pattern for ever.

You are missing the point and taking things very personally.

Back