Dead DSL Modem

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Looks like my DSL modem died this morning around 6am.

I have been on the phone with tech support trying to resolve and the thing really does look like the modem is no longer authenticating or even trying.

I need to buy a new one.

I have had this modem since 2002 and am not up on any models.

I run 802.11 from my Apple Timeport so I do not need that feature in my new modem. I also have an ethernet switch already but could lose that.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Mine went TU last year. The tech support guys recommended two models; I bought one of them. So far so good. My favorite part is that it has an on/off toggle switch that eliminates pulling the power plug for re-boots. As you can see, I am a highly technical guy.

Looks like my DSL modem died this morning around 6am.

I have been on the phone with tech support trying to resolve and the thing really does look like the modem is no longer authenticating or even trying.

I need to buy a new one.

I have had this modem since 2002 and am not up on any models.

I run 802.11 from my Apple Timeport so I do not need that feature in my new modem. I also have an ethernet switch already but could lose that.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Mine went TU last year. The tech support guys recommended two models; I bought one of them. So far so good. My favorite part is that it has an on/off toggle switch that eliminates pulling the power plug for re-boots. As you can see, I am a highly technical guy.
So what did you get?

Also this modem needs to be AT&T ADSL compatible. I am not sue why they say that but I suspect it is some sort of proprietary issue or simplifies their tech support.

Label on bottom says Siemens Speedstream 4100B ADSL.

So what did you get?

Also this modem needs to be AT&T ADSL compatible. I am not sue why they say that but I suspect it is some sort of proprietary issue or simplifies their tech support.

So what did you get?

I would say it's because there are two types of DSL, ADSL and SDSL.

ADSL or Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line is the most popular and used by most if not all residential / non business customers. ADSL provides high downstream bandwidth and reduced upsteam. I am not sure if there are different ADSL standards between different providers.

SDSL or Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line is used mostly for business applications where equal bandwidth is needed for both upstream and downstream. I believe SDSL circuits are data only and cannot be put on a POTS line with voice.

Modems for the two are different. I wish I could give you a recommendation but I don't have enough experience with different DSL modems to form a qualified opinion. Can't AT&T provide a modem or do they charge more if they do?

At our office we have a DSL circuit that we use for a dedicated connection to Chrysler and AT&T provided us with a Netopia DSL modem/router. However, for security purposes, Chrysler requires that we use a Nortel DSL router that they control.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Jean

Last edited:
Scott come see me. I have two spares.

You won't need either when you get Uverse.

I've got an SBC ADSL modem collecting dust... should work on ATT.

Unfortunately, the earliest I can get it out is the weekend.

Thanks Bill and the others that have offered to help. That is what I love about PoA!

Lots of help from good people is but a keystroke away.

I got a solution and it is working for the time being. I suspect there was more to the issue that I and tier 2 tech support did not see.

Last edited:
Scott - You may want to consider switching to Comcast.

I had several versions of DSL in the late 90s and early 2000s, ranging from 512kbps to 1.5Mbps ADSL. During this time, I occasionally had connectivity problems, (usually solved by rebooting the modem) and had to replace the ADSL modem (Efficient Networks Speedstream) a few times.

I have had Comcast cable modem for the last 2 years, and could not be happier. It is rock solid (I have never rebooted the modem), and extremely fast. I have not measured the download rates, but they are often > 1MB/sec.

Of course - I started with Comcast's Triple Play service for a bundled starter price of $99/month. Once the 6 month bundle ended, prices have slowly risen, and I now pay $170 or so per month. But that includes an HD service and an HD DVR. The billing statement says ~$50 of that is internet services.

Thanks Bill and the others that have offered to help. That is what I love about PoA!

I got a solution and it is working for the time being. I suspect there was more to the issue that I and tier 2 tech support did not see.

I just noticed this: this is 30,000th thread in PoA history. Fitting that Scott started it :D

I may have an ADSL modem laying around in the shop. I'll check in the morning.

Nope, not there. I must have sold it on eBay, because I remember exactly where it was.

Thanks for looking. I am covered and the problem is solved. At least until something breaks again.

Back