DC SFRA question

rhkennerly

Pre-takeoff checklist
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
rhkennerly
I've taken the DC SFRA training, but this is unclear to me. So I want to be absolutely certain before I do this next week.

If I am ADS-B & Mode C compliant, and I need to fly inside the 60nm ring, but outside of the 30nm ring, then I do not need a DC SFRA clearance or need to contact Potomac Center. Right?

I intend to skirt around the western edge of the SFRA by flying over Culpeper, Front Royal, and Winchester headed North.

Last edited:
you don't need to do anything different outside the SFRA ring. I'd recommend contacting ATC and doing flight following. They are always helpful with me. Occasionally they will let you thru the corner of the SFRA...I've been invited thru the center of the SFRA once.... if you are talking with them....they might offer it.

I've taken the DC SFRA training, but this is unclear to me. So I want to be absolutely certain before I do this next week.

If I am ADS-B & Mode C compliant, and I need to fly inside the 60nm ring, but outside of the 30nm ring, then I do not need a DC SFRA clearance or need to contact Potomac Center. Right?

I intend to skirt around the western edge of the SFRA by flying over Culpeper, Front Royal, and Winchester headed North.

Where you going? I do CSN HOAGE MRB to/from RIC. Or if you're going low, duck under the Bravo shelf and go CSN, JASEN, FDK.

If you file an SFRA plan, and you want to go below 3K, sometimes you can get BRV, BARIN MIXNN and get a nice view of DC.

The 60nm is only an awareness area, that requires the training to be complete.

Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 1.57.11 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 1.58.07 PM.png

... I do not need a DC SFRA clearance or need to contact Potomac Center. Right? ...

Correct.

If you have specific questions and you want an answer directly from the controllers, you can call Potomac and ask them directly on the phone. I did this a few times when I was just starting to fly in and out of the DC SFRA. It was very helpful to be able to directly ask and have answered my questions. The Potomac controllers are extremely helpful.

It's Potomac APPROACH (not center).

60 miles you just need the training. The SFRA boundary needs a flight plan and squawking-and-talking. I've never had an issue with the latter part. Talking to them doesn't get you any better access to the class B (I got spoiled when I was based at IAD and always expected class B transit).

Tnx all. Headed north for a meander to Osh. Taking the course & actually understanding when it comes time to plot it are two completely different things. I really hate being on the news.

Back