DC area in June

Have a good trip, I grew up in Greenbelt. PG country has really become a mixed bag in terms of eats.
Around UMCP, with college students the primary economic engine, expect low cost food.

Tim

We've had some strange unavailability of fuel at Tipton recently, @azure. My advice is if the pumps are open when you arrive, gas up for a no hassle departure.

Oh, and the AWOS altimeter is off by .01, if you know you have a good system, set 150' pre-launch.

We've had some strange unavailability of fuel at Tipton recently, @azure. My advice is if the pumps are open when you arrive, gas up for a no hassle departure.
Thanks for the tip. I will likely call FME before I leave here and find out if they have fuel. If they don't on Thursday, I may file two legs for the return trip for a fuel stop.
Oh, and the AWOS altimeter is off by .01, if you know you have a good system, set 150' pre-launch.
.01 or .10? .01 is 10 feet, I doubt that would be noticeable.

.01 or .10? .01 is 10 feet, I doubt that would be noticeable.

My feeling is .01, but enough that some folks have spent unnecessary time and money troubleshooting altimeters because of the difference, thus my advice to set field elevation if you do not suspect your aircraft.

My feeling is .01, but enough that some folks have spent unnecessary time and money troubleshooting altimeters because of the difference, thus my advice to set field elevation if you do not suspect your aircraft.
Unnecessary is right. 10 feet of error is well within tolerance (75 feet, I think). And at most fields, there's at least 10 feet of difference in elevation over the field, sometimes even from one end of a runway to the other. At my home base, it's somewhere between 30 and 40 feet. If I saw a 10 ft discrepancy between what my altimeter read after setting it from the AWOS and the published field elevation, I'd assume it's just my location on the field rather than something not right with my altimeter. And if I bothered to taxi over to the location of the field elevation datum and it was still off by that amount, I frankly wouldn't care.

I was taught to use the TDZE from the chart to confirm altimeter. So, yeah I care.

Tim

Back