DC area in June

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
So I have a conference to fly to in College Park next week. The conference is Monday - Thursday, so I would be staying 3 nights. I've been planning to fly into KCGS, have done my side of the vetting procedure and have been told I can likely expect my PIN for FRZ entry sometime today. But looking at the forecast weather for the upcoming week, I'm starting to wonder if tying down at CGS is a good idea. Extended hot spell coming up, and the forecast for midweek does say "chance of showers and thunderstorms".

So the question: how common are severe storms during June in the DC area? Rain and wind are not so much of a problem, but I'm concerned with hail as I don't have anything to cover my Cardinal with.

If this is a serious concern, are there any other fields in the area where I could ask for a temporary hangar in case of severe weather (even at additional charge)?

Understand your concern. This year is kinda weird. We've had exceptionally cool weather, with a few hot days so far. Beginning of next week should be hot, though.

DC area gets occasional severe stuff, but normally later in the summer. It's usually wind & rain, rarely hail on the ground - maybe a couple of times a year (one of my cars that lives outside has seen damage from acorns, and as far as I can tell none from hail). Right now, the forecast is calling for little rain until Wed night/Thursday, and the first TSRAs that show in the forecast are Friday.

No guarantees, but I think you're coming at a reasonably good time. GAI and FDK may have overnight hangars but you'd need to call them. Possibly FME and HEF, too.

Hangar space @ FME is unlikely, but maybe worth a call. Tie down is fairly reasonable. Another option could be BWI ($ignature, so certainly won't be cheap!)

Agree with @wsuffa regarding the weather this spring so far. Certainly been a strange one. Looks like a brief hot spell next week, but if the pattern continues, I wouldn't sweat the severe weather. We've had a few low IMC days over the past few weeks, and unless there is a drastic change to the wx pattern, an outdoor tie down would be survivable, IMO.

IAD was cheaper then BWI for transient hangar; but I left the DC Area almost five years ago so prices likely have changed.
JYO is also a good choice. Now I am mind blanking on one north, slightly east of DC with a 5K runway that was really nice. They also occasionally had hangar space available.

Tim

Thanks guys. Of the fields mentioned, FME would be the closest to where I'll be. GAI and JYO are pretty far away and IAD is clear on the other side of DC. BWI being a Class B I would expect to be very pricey. If hail is unlikely, I may just go with a tiedown at CGS -- assuming my PIN comes through as expected. Getting a little concerned at this point.

FME may be closest(that's where I fly out of), but ground trans is not as convenient as some of the other fields on your list. I can't speak to the options at the other fields, and you might be able to get a rental car dropped at FME for your use. CGS is certainly the best option, assuming your PIN comes through. Good luck!

Hangar space is at a bit of a premium around DC. Worth a call to FME if you think it'll hail and you'll end up there.

What I see in the forecast right now wouldn't bother me in terms of a chance of possible hail, at least not until next Friday. But the US weather model is not nearly as good as the Euro model. The raw model data are available on Weather Underground and some other sites.

So I have a conference to fly to in College Park next week. The conference is Monday - Thursday, so I would be staying 3 nights. I've been planning to fly into KCGS, have done my side of the vetting procedure and have been told I can likely expect my PIN for FRZ entry sometime today. But looking at the forecast weather for the upcoming week, I'm starting to wonder if tying down at CGS is a good idea. Extended hot spell coming up, and the forecast for midweek does say "chance of showers and thunderstorms".

So the question: how common are severe storms during June in the DC area? Rain and wind are not so much of a problem, but I'm concerned with hail as I don't have anything to cover my Cardinal with.

If this is a serious concern, are there any other fields in the area where I could ask for a temporary hangar in case of severe weather (even at additional charge)?

www.weatherspark.com

Thunderstorms are among the reasons I passed on a transfer to DC (having been there before) and opted to retire in the Seattle area.....which averages four per year.

Bob

Bob

www.weatherspark.com

Thunderstorms are among the reasons I passed on a transfer to DC (having been there before) and opted to retire in the Seattle area.....which averages four per year.

Bob

But there is no sun in Seattle.... At least that is what my wife complains about.

Tim

I would have no problem leaving the plane outside if going to DC for a few days. You can expect isolated storms many summer afternoons but severe storms (with a warning and everything) are not that common on the average June day. Late April/May they are more common.

DC has pretty similar weather to NC and there are lots of airplanes left tied down outside here.

BTW how quick is the FRZ procedure? I have to go there on the 22nd and I wonder if I could knock it out before then...

I would have no problem leaving the plane outside if going to DC for a few days. BTW how quick is the FRZ procedure? I have to go there on the 22nd and I wonder if I could knock it out before then...
I started the procedure at the beginning of last week by taking the SFRA course, then emailed them all the documentation the next day (Tuesday). They tell you to count on 3-4 weeks, but apparently they can expedite PIN issuance if you are prompt and get everything in quickly. I had my fingerprints taken last Thursday and overnighted to NATACS in Reno on Friday. They also want a face to face interview, which I did yesterday. Apparently it is possible to do in 2 weeks, but nothing is guaranteed.

Still no word on whether it's going to be in time for me. I just called CGS and was told to call back "periodically" between now and 5pm as the manager is in a seminar.

And just to let you know: they weren't able to get my PIN today, and they tried very hard to expedite my application, so don't count on getting yours in 2 weeks...

And just to let you know: they weren't able to get my PIN today, and they tried very hard to expedite my application, so don't count on getting yours in 2 weeks...

Thanks.. yeah I figured I would not be able to get it done.

I would still recommend to go ahead and try (nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?) but have a plan B in mind. If it doesn't come through in time for this trip, at least you will have it for the future.

10 years, two roof claims. Just south of DC.

A place like Manassas should have hangar space for you. It'll cost you.

Thanks, but HEF is clear on the opposite side of DC. How long would it take to drive to College Park in morning rush hour traffic? I'm thinking it would make almost as much sense to drive from Vermont.

Understand your concern. This year is kinda weird. We've had exceptionally cool weather, with a few hot days so far. Beginning of next week should be hot, though.

Weird is right. A tornado on Feb 25th followed by an ice-storm a week later.

Thanks, but HEF is clear on the opposite side of DC. How long would it take to drive to College Park in morning rush hour traffic? I'm thinking it would make almost as much sense to drive from Vermont.

I would try FME. They have some large army hangars, don't know whether they are available for transients. There is also Freeway and Suburban, not sure either of them have hangars. Both are kind of sleepy.
I am out of town, could have set you up with a ride from 2W5 (no transient hangars) to the metro otherwise.

Yes, FME has been my plan B and probably what I will use, even if I have to do a tiedown (3 nights). Right now I need to make sure I have support from my college, since I will have to pay for my own lodging (conference mixup).

Thanks!

Thanks, but HEF is clear on the opposite side of DC. How long would it take to drive to College Park in morning rush hour traffic?
Rough swag, at least an hour. If you did go to HEF, you'd be better off taking the commuter train into DC and then hoping on the Metro. The train station is near the west FBO.

Rough swag, at least an hour. If you did go to HEF, you'd be better off taking the commuter train into DC and then hoping on the Metro. The train station is near the west FBO.
Morning rush? It might well be twice that! I66 from Manassas to the Beltway could be 45 minutes to an hour alone, then you need to get across the bridge and the top side of the Beltway. I would allow 90 minutes to 2 hours for that trip, especially on a Monday morning.

Coming in in the AM rush, FME is a much better choice if one is going to drive. Or, as you note, the commuter train is a good option.

Freeway might work, too.

There is also Freeway and Suburban, not sure either of them have hangars. Both are kind of sleepy.
Freeway is hopping, but I don't know about hangar space availability; worth calling them. I heard Suburban is closing at the end of the month.

Freeway is hopping, but I don't know about hangar space availability; worth calling them. I heard Suburban is closing at the end of the month.
I thought Suburban closed at the end of May? Concur about calling Freeway - I think it would be a toss-up traffic-wise from either FME or Freeway to College Park.

GAI would be easy, but time consuming to get to College Park.
Take a taxi or catch a lift from GAI to the Shady Grove Metro (about ten minutes). From there the Metro is an easy ride College Park, but will take about an hour. Since you mentioned colleges, I assume you are going to University of Maryland at College Park. There is a bus that runs from the station to all parts of the campus. Be aware, the campus is huge.
If you decide to rent a car, Enterprise has a drop off/pickup from GAI (the office is down the street). Non-rush hour you have between 30 and 45 minutes to get to the campus. Rush hour will generally be around an hour if you take the ICC; if you take the beltway expect about an hour and half.
I have not been to GAI since 2012; but they had plenty of transient tie down parking, with very limited shared hangar space.

Tim

Suburban has been closing at the end of the month for the 7 years I've lived here. Is it really closing now?

Morning rush? It might well be twice that! I66 from Manassas to the Beltway could be 45 minutes to an hour alone, then you need to get across the bridge and the top side of the Beltway. I would allow 90 minutes to 2 hours for that trip, especially on a Monday morning.
Good point. I think it took me about an hour to get from College Park to I-95 a few weeks ago.

Thanks y'all. I got confirmation of coverage for the hotel and booked through Enterprise to pick me up at FME. No hangars for transient aircraft, but based on what everyone has said the chances of anything severe (i.e., hail) in the 3 days I'll be there are slim. (2 roof repairs in 10 years is still an average of 1 every 5 years. I'll be there for 3 days.)

@tspear, I originally thought the conference would be at UMD but it turns out it will be held partly at the Hilton Garden Inn in Greenbelt, and partly at the American Center for Physics. They have a shuttle between the Hilton and the ACP, but since I won't be staying at the Hilton, I still need some way to get around, hence the rental car.

I guess I could have gone to HEF, rented a car there, and still booked a hotel in College Park (thus avoiding the rush-hour commute), but that would delay my leaving on Thursday. I want to get out early to avoid the buildups in the heat of the day.

From where you are coming and your destination, FME + Enterprise definitely sounds like the best choice.

Just two things:
- Don't eat at the College Par Applebee's, ever!
- College Park is a bit of a mixed bag. Just stay alert, stick with a group, don't do anything silly.

You did the right thing. FME to Greenbelt is easier than College Park, and gives you the choice of either I-95 or the BW parkway. HEF is even further...

You did the right thing. FME to Greenbelt is easier than College Park, and gives you the choice of either I-95 or the BW parkway. HEF is even further...
Not sure if you meant FME to Greenbelt is easier than FME to College Park, or easier than CGS to Greenbelt?? :dunno: (If the latter, why? CGS is much closer to Greenbelt than FME.)

Anyway my hotel is in College Park, and the car rental is in Laurel, so CGS would have been closer (and easier, I think), but that's the way it goes. I might still try to call CGS in the morning to see if I can get my PIN in time, but if not, FME looks like it will work.

I notice the only cleared route that Foreflight recommends takes me via ENSUE direct to FME. Do I have a chance in hell of actually getting that?? It goes straight through the BWI Bravo. If not, what kind of routing might I expect?

ETA: I'll be coming from the NE, along (so Foreflight tells me) V499...

You'll be on vectors regardless of what you file. And yes, at times you will cross right over BWI in the bravo.

Enjoy your trip. If you decide to go into DC, take the metro, not the rental car.
And don't mind our maniac PG county drivers. It's nothing personal.

From where you are coming and your destination, FME + Enterprise definitely sounds like the best choice.

Just two things:
- Don't eat at the College Par Applebee's, ever!
- College Park is a bit of a mixed bag. Just stay alert, stick with a group, don't do anything silly.
What's wrong with the College Park Applebee's? :dunno:

If it really sucks, where would you recommend? On Google maps I'm seeing mostly junk food outlets, Burger King and the like. Sort of the opposite of VT. ;)

But there is no sun in Seattle.... At least that is what my wife complains about.

Tim

A common misconception. It has been sunny all day. If there is anything my wife hates it is a clear blue sky with no clouds. (She grew up in Connecticut; I grew up in Northern Indiana)We both wear sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, etc. Nothing better than a sky full of fair weather cumulus. PNW is climate heaven and we're not leaving.

Bob

Not sure if you meant FME to Greenbelt is easier than FME to College Park, or easier than CGS to Greenbelt?? :dunno: (If the latter, why? CGS is much closer to Greenbelt than FME.)

Anyway my hotel is in College Park, and the car rental is in Laurel, so CGS would have been closer (and easier, I think), but that's the way it goes. I might still try to call CGS in the morning to see if I can get my PIN in time, but if not, FME looks like it will work.

I notice the only cleared route that Foreflight recommends takes me via ENSUE direct to FME. Do I have a chance in hell of actually getting that?? It goes straight through the BWI Bravo. If not, what kind of routing might I expect?

ETA: I'll be coming from the NE, along (so Foreflight tells me) V499...
CGS is more convenient than the others, but since you didn't get the PIN in time, FME will do.

Greenbelt is a bit closer to FME than College Park itself. Basically, come down the BW parkway to 193. The Hilton Garden Inn is right there, just inside the Beltway. Not quite sure where you're staying in College Park, but you'd take 193 a couple miles further to get into College Park. At Baltimore Ave (which should be Rt. 1) turn left or right depending on where the hotel is. It's not far at all.

Been a while since I ate up there (and the last two times were on campus at UMD), so I don't know what's up there for food any more. The usual collection of chains, I suppose. There are a couple of crab houses up near FME that are pretty good. You can always hop the subway into DC itself if you're looking for something better. Just beware of the closing time which is now either 11:30 or 12.

What's wrong with the College Park Applebee's? :dunno:

If it really sucks, where would you recommend?

Awful food with poor service.

There is not much around there, that's why we ended up at Applebees several times.

Thanks, @wsuffa and @weilke.

I'm staying at the Days Inn on Baltimore Ave. I won't be driving from FME because Enterprise in Laurel picks you up and takes you to their outlet. I think I see how to get around. It looks like a straight shot down Baltimore from Enterprise to the hotel, then a bit south and then east on 193 to get to the Hilton to register.

But at this point I don't have detailed paper maps of the area so I think I will delay departure a bit to stop at the local AAA, just down the road from home base. Leaving later raises the real possibility that I might be able to get my PIN in time - not sure what time the CGS desk opens but I will try.

@weilke, that really surprises me. Applebee's seems to be a pretty tightly run chain, I would have expected their quality to be more uniform. I used to hate their food anyway, until I found a few selections I like.

Just say no to Applebee's. It'd be one thing if you were in middle of nowhere Missouri and that was your only option. There are plenty of great places to eat. Some of the best options are ethnic--we have really good Thai Vietnamese, Ethiopian, etc. Check out yelp, plenty of recommendations there.

I've come to call it Crapplebees..... For a reason.

Just say no to Applebee's. It'd be one thing if you were in middle of nowhere Missouri and that was your only option. There are plenty of great places to eat. Some of the best options are ethnic--we have really good Thai Vietnamese, Ethiopian, etc. Check out yelp, plenty of recommendations there.
Sounds promising! I've been craving some good Middle Eastern food since moving from Michigan. On the other extreme, there are no Coney Islands in Vermont, but I saw a NY Deli on google maps somewhere around Laurel...

Back