Day in the life of NY Approach, aka why you can't have direct

coma24

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
coma24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOyEkD5YOak

The LGA, EWR and JFK finals provide plenty of entertainment. This is 24 hours of traffic (for Dec 3) shown in 24 minutes. Suggest full screen and HD to really see what's going on. The departure and arrivals are all color coded for each airport. Runway configurations are shown on the right. LGA and JFK change configs several times through the day.

LGA items of interest:
1:35 the extended final looks like a downhill skiing event
1:37 jet goes around
1:47 RJ gets resequenced (was #6 in the line)
2:02 jets are holding for LGA at the top of the screen
8:07 RJ gets pulled out of the sequence
8:09 jet spun SW of Manhattan
8:37 jet pulled out of final sequence
9:00 jet pulled off final, s-turns continue on downwind
9:14 jets are going through the final, being given 270's to join
9:39 jet pulled out of sequence
13:45 2 go-arounds at LGA

EWR gets its fair share of holding throughout the morning and afternoon, too. They have a lot more room to extend traffic for sequencing than poor LGA.

I flew that day, MMU-JFK, it's shown at 5:01, west of Manhattan, crossed Hudson River at 5:13.

Second flight is from JFK-CDW at 8:44 from JFK 31L, but the radar track is incomplete.

The video is kinda hypnotic. It's ridiculous how tight the airspace is, and how much interaction there is between all the flows. Seeing it in 3d would be even nicer.

you sold your Comanche? how do you like the Lancair?

Around 3AM you can have the place pretty much to yourself.

I flew through this airspace for my night XC a few weeks ago. They had no issues fitting me in, and let me go direct.

The NY guys are always helpful when I want a transition. If time permits they'll always help you out IMO

No matter how busy they get,I've never had a problem working with them,either IFR or VFR.

Very Cool! I love the fact that you can see other airport's traffic as well (though is it limited to departures?) It's a bee's nest - just as well organized and just as busy.

No matter how busy they get,I've never had a problem working with them,either IFR or VFR.
They couldn't be anymore helpful or proficient but sometimes you have to be slightly creative to make it all work - like knowing when doing what you want to do means canceling IFR. They aren't above giving you a hint.

Back