Daughter has a question

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
My 14 yr. old daughter is thinking of washing planes for $ummer money. The question is how to price. What is washing a plane worth. What would you be willing to pay for a good washing? Waxing? I suggested doing a couple of the flight school planes for free as they have the only water hose.

My 14 yr. old daughter is thinking of washing planes for $ummer money. The question is how to price. What is washing a plane worth. What would you be willing to pay for a good washing? Waxing? I suggested doing a couple of the flight school planes for free as they have the only water hose.

A few hundred is the going rate for a professional clean iirc.

I don't know how much smaller planes go for. My boss pays ~$300 to wash the 421. That's just the basic wash of the exterior, I don't know too many details but I don't think it includes waxing.

Last edited:
I was quoted $350 wash w/(de-grease the belly) + $200 wax. I would feel comfortable paying $250-$300 total for a good job wash and wax, otherwise, i'm doing it myself. Just did it last week and it took me 6 hours on my 182. It really could be a full day doing each airplane as I feel I rushed things a bit. but if she charged $300 and could get it done in 6 hours, that would be $50/hr before expenses. I prob used $20 in wash, de-greaser and wax. good luck!

$500 was the going rate for a wash/wax/interior cleaning at my last airport.

But ummmm I'm flying to NC soon and $50 seems about right to me :D

I spent about 24 hours on my last "real good" clean up job. Biggest mistake was using regular turtle wax and not getting it off fast enough.

Last edited:
In Maryland we pay 250.00 to a one man operation who does nothing but plane detailing. He does a very good job and he supplies the cleaning products.

I paid a guy, airport bum, who was trying to get a washing business going $60.00 for a wash and wax. He did a pretty good job for about a year and was keeping pretty busy until the meth called him back, then he just disappeared. I think he was using some sort of wash/wax combination cleaner.

I'm not so sure the gunk needed to clean a greasy plane belly would be all that healthy for a young girl. Take a close look at all what she intends to use.

-John

I'm not so sure the gunk needed to clean a greasy plane belly would be all that healthy for a young girl. Take a close look at all what she intends to use.

-John

Simple green makes an aircraft safe formula. I cleaned the 150 belly in about 10 minutes. With that and some wax/polish I could do a 150 in about 3 hours, unless it hasn't been washed in two years.

Do you guys that pay to have your plane washed, do you ever worry if the guy doing the job is insured? What recourse do you have if they mess something up?

Do you guys that pay to have your plane washed, do you ever worry if the guy doing the job is insured? What recourse do you have if they mess something up?

I'm guessing that they come talk to her father to make it good:(

I was quoted $350 wash w/(de-grease the belly) + $200 wax. I would feel comfortable paying $250-$300 total for a good job wash and wax, otherwise, i'm doing it myself. Just did it last week and it took me 6 hours on my 182. It really could be a full day doing each airplane as I feel I rushed things a bit. but if she charged $300 and could get it done in 6 hours, that would be $50/hr before expenses. I prob used $20 in wash, de-greaser and wax. good luck!

have u posted pics of ur plane yet?!?

The guy around here wants $250 for the Navion I think. He brings his own water supply as the hangar in Virginia doesn't have it. I usually wash it in my hangar in NC which has hot and cold water and then hit it with collinite.

I get $200 for a light piston single. That includes wash/Wax/Degrease belly/touch up any chips that I run across, and notify the owner of any squawks that I find.
I did a Mooney a while back, and found the linkage for the nose gear door was dangling. Got an extra $50 for the catch. I gave it back to him, and told him that that's what I'm here for.

That said, For a youngster, over the summer, mabe a decent trade for some instruction. Quid-pro-quo. She should be able to easily solo over the summer, with a little left over.

Also, to degrease belly, I've found that WD-40 in the fogger can works well when coupled with a roll of paper towels, and a creeper. WD40 is about the only thing that I've found which will easilly, and cheaply remove the grey gooey lead deposits.

Last edited:
Good on her. That's good honest work.

Yep.

Start out at $175 and go from there, she can hire a few friends and make a killing!

Please make sure young gals wear gloves when handling solvents and oily rags!

Last edited:
It's very hard work. She'll earn every penny. Tip my hat to her spirit...

Good on her for wanting to work, but I've seen several young entrepreneurs try it and they last about two or three planes and throw in the towel. Be prepared for this to be very temporary so don't let her put a lot of $$$$ into it.

It's like cutting firewood for a living. Most landowners will give you all the wood you want if you give them some and clear the land. It looks real good on paper until the sweat start's rolling down your back and you break a chainsaw, or cut yourself, etc.... sorry, not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but that's what I see. We currently have no plane washers on the field. :dunno:

Good on her for wanting to work, but I've seen several young entrepreneurs try it and they last about two or three planes and throw in the towel. Be prepared for this to be very temporary so don't let her put a lot of $$$$ into it.

It's like cutting firewood for a living. Most landowners will give you all the wood you want if you give them some and clear the land. It looks real good on paper until the sweat start's rolling down your back and you break a chainsaw, or cut yourself, etc.... sorry, not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but that's what I see. We currently have no plane washers on the field. :dunno:

It ain't all that bad. When she gets about $400 from her first day, and only hadda spend about $100 in materials, (some of which are re-useable) she might turn it into a couple day a week thing. Where she gets the best of both worlds. Couple days work for a weekend at the mall. :D

Trying to be more helpful than my last post ...

KK321-e1271188699163.gif

Lowe's has it in one gallon bulk cheap. I researched this stuff and it's safe on plexiglass and everything.

WARNING! You must dilute it. 10 to 1.

Wash with lemon Joy, degrease belly with WD40-papertowels, and wax with McGuires cleaner wax. Use microfibre to remove wax.
Works very well, not expensive at all, and no danger to the aluminum, or plastics, or rubber.

Just remember to never wipe windshield in a circular motion, allways go up and down.

Last edited:
Something that just occurred to me- a couple months ago our airport manager sent out a letter to everyone complaining that someone had been approaching people offering services like shoveling snow, washing airplanes, etc. They stated that the FBO was the only entity authorized to do business on airport property and asked that we report anyone else trying to... or something to that effect.

Might be something to check.

Something that just occurred to me- a couple months ago our airport manager sent out a letter to everyone complaining that someone had been approaching people offering services like shoveling snow, washing airplanes, etc. They stated that the FBO was the only entity authorized to do business on airport property and asked that we report anyone else trying to... or something to that effect.

Might be something to check.

Will do, I'll get right on it sir. I report anyone I suspect of being a rogue 14 year old plane washer. I always ask to see lemonade vendor's paperwork too. I'll report them to the tax collector and health department if they won't/can't comply. :D

That is the 1st honest post.

It is not realistic to fill a young lady's head with thoughts of $50/hr or charging the full going rate. No way would I be paying the full rate to a 14 yr old girl. I suspect only the very rare teenager (male or female) will have the oomph to stick with the job 'till the end...including maintaining the level of workmanship throughout the job. Washing planes isn't your typical jolly good time cheerleader fund raising car wash. Further, my aircraft is not her guinea pig, they have to have washed multiple times before, probably under supervision, and be intimately familiar with things like plexi windows, door latches, static ports, etc.

That said, I paid $135 for a straight wash on a PA-28. I didn't stick around to see how long it took the 20-something lad. The same job took me 4 hours at an airport-provided wash pit. Wax on painted surfaces (as opposed to polished alum) is the easy part.

Washing a Cessna 207 took about 6 hours no matter how many times I did it. Add 4 hours of non-stop work to wax. A Cessna 340 took > 8 hours as did a Cessna 208 Caravan. Add a full day to wax those beasts.

Last edited:
I thought I'd heard that some airports have rules on washing planes, they consider the runoff to be toxic. Hopefully your airport isn't one.

My airport doesn't allow washing airplanes with water. A dry wash and wax runs about $350 .

That is the 1st honest post.

It is not realistic to fill a young lady's head with thoughts of $50/hr or charging the full going rate. No way would I be paying the full rate to a 14 yr old girl. I suspect only the very rare teenager (male or female) will have the oomph to stick with the job 'till the end...including maintaining the level of workmanship throughout the job. Washing planes isn't your typical jolly good time cheerleader fund raising car wash. Further, my aircraft is not her guinea pig, they have to have washed multiple times before, probably under supervision, and be intimately familiar with things like plexi windows, door latches, static ports, etc.

That said, I paid $135 for a straight wash on a PA-28. I didn't stick around to see how long it took the 20-something lad. The same job took me 4 hours at an airport-provided wash pit. Wax on painted surfaces (as opposed to polished alum) is the easy part.

Washing a Cessna 207 took about 6 hours no matter how many times I did it. Add 4 hours of non-stop work to wax. A Cessna 340 took > 8 hours as did a Cessna 208 Caravan. Add a full day to wax those beasts.

There's just so much real estate on a plane. It's like washing three cars. You look at one, and it doesn't look so bad, until you start washing the belly, the undersides, the top of the wings, etc....

If you really want to test your resolve, try polishing one...

Polished planes are a curse in a way. Because I won't let anyone else near mine like most polishers. It's a learning process and great damage can be done in a few seconds. I'll never own another one, but I won't let mine go to pot. When I get older and can't do it, it will have to go or be painted.

Will do, I'll get right on it sir. I report anyone I suspect of being a rogue 14 year old plane washer. I always ask to see lemonade vendor's paperwork too. I'll report them to the tax collector and health department if they won't/can't comply. :D

Sadly, there are people who will do just that.

That is a very worthy goal and should be encouraged. However, if that were my daughter I'd consider setting up some kind of business entity and get insurance. You need to think about the case where she could accidentally cause some serious damage. Stuff happens unfortunately.

That is a very worthy goal and should be encouraged. However, if that were my daughter I'd consider setting up some kind of business entity and get insurance. You need to think about the case where she could accidentally cause some serious damage. Stuff happens unfortunately.

Yes, stuff happens, but professional liability on a 14-year old? Besided, who's more judgement-proof than that 14-year old kid?

In this regard, I'd echo the suggestion to test the kid's resolve. Let her work at it for a full season, and if she wants to come back the next year, then spend the money on business entity formation and insurance (insurance in my view being mostly for marketing value -- consider the wisdom of hiring a judgement-proof 15-year old to clean your plane).

What is the going rate for a General basic Airplane wash and interior vacuum? I think that is what 14yr really wants to do. A full detail wax would required a professional with a few years of experience.

I thought about washing my FBO airplanes once a month with a power washer just so they are nice for Renters. Not looking to make any money.

What is the going rate for a General basic Airplane wash and interior vacuum? I think that is what 14yr really wants to do. A full detail wax would required a professional with a few years of experience.

I thought about washing my FBO airplanes once a month with a power washer just so they are nice for Renters. Not looking to make any money.

You won't be coming near my plane with a pressure washer. And I suspect any other owners plane who knows better.

Planes are not like cars. There are too many seams. Pressure can blow that stuff into the wings, belly, elevator, all over ...

Can you say corrosion boys and girls? :idea:

My pressure washer has very low to High settings. I would use the very very lowest settings.

That may work, may not.

But my plane wouldn't be the guinea pig. If these are FBO owned planes that you and the FBO manager don't care about, I can understand.

My main point was that if you show up on the field with a pressure washer, you're not going to get any business from private owners.

I have no experience with washing airplanes. I would do my research first.

Anyway.

A simple wash and Interior vacuum shouldnt take more than two hours including cleaning the windows.

It takes me about 4 hours for something the size of a typical piston single. (PA-28, C172/182, M20, etc) Twins, 206s, add about 3 hours. Jets I don't fool with.

Back