Datums and stations and arms...oh my!

I don't know why, but I had some trepidation. Just in case any other students are like me and not a genius like smartypants skydog, I thought I would make a post to reassure them.

Weight shifts seemed hard when I was studying for the ATP test until I figured out the formula they were using made it harder than it had to be.

I don't know why, but I had some trepidation. Just in case any other students are like me and not a genius like smartypants skydog, I thought I would make a post to reassure them.

Now that you've mastered that; for your next challenge, you are figuring out the W&B for a fully loaded aircraft and you discover you are out of the envelope. NOW what do you do and how do you do it?

Don't have to be a genius at all. The math involved is junior high level at most. If it wasn't, then there'd be a lot fewer pilots in the world.

Now that you've mastered that; for your next challenge, you are figuring out the W&B for a fully loaded aircraft and you discover you are out of the envelope. NOW what do you do and how do you do it?

If too far forward, take a big chit. If that doesn't work, maybe have heavy or light pax trade positions front to rear, lose some luggage, transfer fuel if possible. Any other ideas?

Don't have to be a genius at all. The math involved is junior high level at most. If it wasn't, then there'd be a lot fewer pilots in the world.
My genius comment was supposed to have a tongue wagging winky smiley. Apparently you can't use iPhone emojis....another lesson learned :p

I remember adding ballast in the back of a Warrior for my checkride. DPE weighed a lot more than my CFI.

The only problems with W&B calculations I ever had were on a glider that didn't really have a POH or stations/arms. I think it used "percent wing chord" or something. Pretty sure I ran into that on a Blanik L-13.

While on the topic, anyone have a quick rundown on shortcuts used

IE your aft cg by 2 in how much weight to move from station x to y to be in CG.

For the life of me can't find it in my pile of junk

While on the topic, anyone have a quick rundown on shortcuts used

IE your aft cg by 2 in how much weight to move from station x to y to be in CG.

For the life of me can't find it in my pile of junk
You need 2 to solve for the third.

I was at annual training this year with another pilot. He couldn't do a manual W&B calculation. Don't get so caught up in the electronic format that you forget what the numbers mean!

Last edited:
Go to stability school for offshore vessels (read floating drilling rigs). Aircraft W&B is simple after that.

Back