Dated Interior - Someone tell me what I have - First steps?

As a student, I do not understand the inherent value of the CHT gauge and selector? Is this for determining proper fuel mixture? Can you shed some light on the reasoning and usage for this?

If you’re going to own a plane, highly recommend the Mike Busch book about airplane engines. It will explain all this and more.

Wow! This thread is hitting close to home. I recently bought a Cherokee 180 to hold me over until I finish the RV8, and to get my IFR rating in. I like the plane overall, but the panel is terrible. I talked to a well respected guy locally who's an A/P IA, and CFII. He said the best deal is to install a G5 ADI and G5 HSI coupled to a SL30 or used Garmin 430 and to dump all the vacuum stuff. I'm very tempted to do just that, but since I'm going that far, why not add an engine monitor and get rid of the randomly installed gauges. Here's the tricky part... As a repeat aircraft builder, I'm very comfortable making, installing and populating a panel, but I'm not sure of the legal ramifications on a production aircraft. I read in an above post that the panel is considered structural, and changing it will require a log entry. I've looked for a source for blank panels and haven't had any luck so far. Anyone know of a source for blank panels, and/or doing the refurb myself? Thanks for any input!

Lance

but I'm not sure of the legal ramifications on a production aircraft.
It will require a minimum of AP sign off on panel reconfig to a max of it's classified as a major alteration requiring a 337 and AP/IA sign off. Whether reconfig is a minor/major alteration depends on original aircraft certification and physical extent of alteration to aircraft airframe and aircraft systems. Strictly replacing vacuum indicators/system with electric system in original panel is a minor with current FAA guidance.

I read in an above post that the panel is considered structural
Depends on how panel is attached.

source for blank panels
Depending on panel, a lot of shops are using CAD to design then send out to 3rd party for cutting. But there are several vendors who sell model specific blank panels just don't have name(s) handy at the moment. Best to discuss with AP first to get better idea on your specific options.

My general recommendation is to get your private pilot certificate, fly for a bit (100 hours?) and only then consider aircraft ownership. You'll have a much better idea of what fits you and your mission profile, which is likely to change as you gain experience. You'll also be more reasonably prepared to tackle the care and feeding of an airplane.

Nothing wrong with dreaming. Dreaming might give a new pilot the extra "oomph" to keep training even if it gets rough or the money gets tight.

Dream on, OP!

What would I need to add to make it IFR capable? Just asking...

Minimally, you need an ILS-capable nav or navcom with the appropriate indicator. If VOR only (no VFR GPS) I would want dual navs to make crossing radial identification something other than the dance of the seven veils. Realistically, in the NextGen world, you will want WAAS GPS to be able to fully use the modern airspace system, especially if flying to non urban airports. That starts to get pricey if you are not keeping the plane long term. There is also the ADS-B compliance issue. That costs anywhere from $3k-7k alone depending on your options.

Back