Data plates- manufacturing plates

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
I want to learn more about these, and regulations. My paint shop just mailed me a homemade plate with plane serial number and type, along with an engine plate (180HP Airplanes for a 172). They said they forgot to install them after cleaning, as I did not have them clean the plane. So I guess I need to have these installed? So where can I read more about requirements on these things. My plane is 1973 vintage since I came across some info that this matters. One was to be affixed with adhesive, the other with some type of rivet. Adhesive likely won't work as plane now has ceramic coating. I assume it might need to be riveted. What I've read is my inside pilot cabin likely has OG data plane.

Thanks

My paint shop just mailed me a homemade plate with plane serial number and type, along with an engine plate (180HP Airplanes for a 172).
So to clarify... the Cessna data plate is still installed inside the cabin and the Continental data plate is still installed on the engine? And the shop sent you two "data plates" that were previously installed on the exterior usually near the tail on the pilots side which were removed during cleaning?

As to the rules, Part 45 is the FAR. There are also a few other documents but 45 gives a good explanation. And yes they can be removed for maintenance. But the exterior "data plates" are a DEA requirements unless you have a newer aircraft (1989>) where they moved the OEM data plate to the exterior to comply with both rules with one plate.

Last edited:
Only the DEA (Drunk Every Afternoon) would come up with the idea that a plate with barely readable numbers hidden under the tail would stop smuggling. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

Back