Dash cams

Yes, and wouldn't believe the stupidity I've captured on it already. I decided to get one because of all the close calls I've had from other's recklessness, and wanted the ability to defend myself in an accident. I have the Garmin Dash Cam Mini. Simple and relatively cheap device, but backed by the Garmin brand and works well. Both I and the wife have one now.

Yes, and wouldn't believe the stupidity I've captured on it already. I decided to get one because of all the close calls I've had from other's recklessness, and wanted the ability to defend myself in an accident. I have the Garmin Dash Cam Mini. Simple and relatively cheap device, but backed by the Garmin brand and works well. Both I and the wife have one now.

One in the back facing rear could come in handy also. You could call it the Azz Cam:D. First sentence was a serious reply

One in the back facing rear could come in handy also. You could call it the Azz Cam:D. First sentence was a serious reply

I've thought about it, and I believe you could purchase a second Dash Cam mini for the rear and they would sync together. I drive a pickup, and I always love when some is so close to me I can't see them behind the tailgate.

Had one -- I found it amusing but not useful as I hadn't been in any traffic scrapes with it. I haven't yet replaced my former one.

I would regret not having one if I ever ended up in a he-said-she-said traffic situation, which I feel is any traffic situation anymore.

I have a Vantrue dashcam that also has a rear-facing camera on the occupants of the car (which can be disabled), which is likely intended for the benefit of ride-share drivers. I got mine because I have a "limited production" car and mainly want to have eyes on the dealership guys when I take it in for service. I had read a few horror stories on various boards from owners of similar vehicles that caught service providers taking extended "test" joyrides on their cameras. Secondary reasoning is as others have stated above, which is to aid in any accident scenarios, should I ever be in one.

I'm glad I got mine. Although I haven't caught any joyrides, I did observe them letting someone who was not very well-versed in operating manual transmissions move my car around and the worst was hearing an employee asking another if he'd "want to be in on me and Chris stealing this sh!%...this guy literally lives up the road." I was none too happy.

Have a front and rear, but haven't had to use it for anything yet.

WE have identical setups in our vehicles... a Nextbase 622GW up front with a connected remote camera for the rear. Got them not long ago, and since we rarely drive we haven't seen much. They also have a parking mode, which is good because we just have a parking pad behind our house connected to an alleyway.

I put one on my car. 2 days later a lawn doctor truck backed into me at a very high rate of speed. I called the company and said I have errands to run so I'm going to continue on my way but I will email you the footage.

I sent in the footage and had to do nothing more.

So my question is do you do anything with the recordings, e.g., do you off-load them on to your computer and then back them up into the cloud? Re-record over?

I have two. Saved me a huge deductible twice already. A week after installation someone backed into my wife. Then again, another accident a few weeks ago. In both cases I would have been on the hook for a $600 deductible. The dashcam footage left no room for debate. Best purchase I’ve made in a long time.

So my question is do you do anything with the recordings, e.g., do you off-load them on to your computer and then back them up into the cloud? Re-record over?

The one I have automatically rewrites over the top. But if there's an incident that happens (takes a certain amount of G-Force or something to trigger those automatically) it will get saved to a separate directory and don't get rewritten. So far the only incidents I have had have been potholes

Mine has a button on the bottom that I can hit to manually protect the recording as well, just in case I witness something that I'm not directly involved in.

I have the Garmin dashcam-mini mentioned above with a 64GB card in it. It records for weeks before it overwrites. It also has a 'save' button and some sensor thing in it that archives clips if there are things like sudden deceleration evens.

I hard-wired the thing. Garmin sells a little power-supply that I spliced it into the 'hot' for the map-light so the camera charges whenever that has power. Cars should really come with a USB outlet on the mirror so you can install the dashcam of your choice.

I have the 'mini' because I dont need or want a screen. Its small enough that I was able to mount it in front of the mirror outside of my field of view. In some states, mounting anything in the field of view can get you pulled over and some of those dash-cams are rather boxy and obvious. The picture is 1080p and pretty good. It's not license-plate-reader good, but good enough to answer the question who was on which side of the fogline or who backed into whom.

Yes!

I have a Nextbase in mine that is awesome as long as you don’t use their app. The app works maybe 10% of the time but it doesn’t bother me as it doesn’t hamper the actual purpose of the camera.

If you do get one make sure to disable the GPS speed labeling on the video file. If you ever need to use the footage and you’re 1 MPH over the limit then your case could get thrown out. It’s stupid but you won’t win the “GPS isn’t 100% accurate” argument.

I put one in my car because i had two people rstart rolling backwards at a stoplight and it made me think that they could claim i hit them from behind and i would have no proof. Within two weeks of installing it, a lady ran a red light and hit me. She told the cop that i ran the red light since he checked on her first. I pulled out the camera and showed him my light was green and she got the ticket and an insurance bill for my broken thumb. (damn airbag broke it) Best $15 dollars i spent at walmart! I always thought about buying a couple for my plane to be honest.

Last edited:
Back