Darn you YouTube, Stop scaring me!

Palamedes

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jason Ellis
I have been watching a lot of videos on Youtube.. Flying, planes, personal stories in the air on the ground..etc.. all around GA. I like that when I watch something on a "Cirrus SR22" it will find other videos on the SR22 for me to watch..

Well that bit me today..

I watched ONE video on a crash and now suddenly my What to Watch queue is FULL of horrible crash videos that I really don't want to see..

It's making me question flying safety.. heh

I have been watching a lot of videos on Youtube.. Flying, planes, personal stories in the air on the ground..etc.. all around GA. I like that when I watch something on a "Cirrus SR22" it will find other videos on the SR22 for me to watch..

Well that bit me today..

I watched ONE video on a crash and now suddenly my What to Watch queue is FULL of horrible crash videos that I really don't want to see..

Be sure to read the NTSB reports too.

It is not safe. Good luck finding something safe and fun.

Just go into your Youtube watch history and remove that video. That will get rid of the crash vid queue

Nothing is going to be 100% safe...you are taking a machine and flying it through the air...if the machine fails or you fail gravity prevails.

Flying isn't safe, we weren't meant to fly...however I do it for the freedom and enjoyment of flying and I try to be as safe as I can be...

As a student I try to build a good and safe foundation to carry my training forward and do my best to make good decisions while in the air.

I personally think its just like my motorcycle.. I ride a BMW K1600GTL.. Big fast and awesome. Love it.

Everyone tells me its dangerous and I'm stupid to do it..etc.. I'm the most boring motorcycle rider ever.. I have a machine that will do crazy things if I want to but I'd rather live to ride another day.. Motorcycles are only as safe as the rider.

I have to think that GA is the same way. If you do stupidly, you're going to hurt yourself.

It still boggles the mind how many people a year get in trouble because they forget to put fuel in their plane.. what?!

I honestly think the most unsafe part of flying so far has been the drive to and from the airport. =)

I'm not going to assume compliance though, just like my motorcycle I'm gonna be a really boring pilot..

It still boggles the mind how many people a year get in trouble because they forget to put fuel in their plane.. what?!

If the aircraft manufacture provided a placard warning pilots against flying with inadequate fuel, those wouldn't happen.

I know of a guy who quit flying citing the dangers, only to be struck by lightning and killed on a golf course.

"Danger" is relative. When your number is called you go. As a well prepared pilot you do your best to minimize the chances of your number being on the lottery ball that makes it through.

Well that bit me today..

Maybe you should be flying instead of watching videos about flying. :mad2:

Ever driven by a car wreck? Did you stop the car and get out and run?

Seriously dude, grow a set.

Maybe you should be flying instead of watching videos about flying. :mad2:

Ever driven by a car wreck? Did you stop the car and get out and run?

Seriously dude, grow a set.

Okay, first of all you can go eat a dick..

I was making an observation about Youtube.. nothing more.

I'm no more scared of flying than I am of riding my motorcycle.

Sorry buddy you are the one posting about being scared. Modern GA pilots are tops in reality denial. Really funny to watch.

Well that bit me today..

Okay, first of all you can go eat a dick..

I was making an observation about Youtube.. nothing more.

I'm no more scared of flying than I am of riding my motorcycle.

Yea right. :rolleyes:

Sometimes we grow out of thrill seeking.

Or maybe it's wisdom as you get older.

I don't go on carnival rides anymore, not because I'm scared of the ride, but because I'm scared of the meth-head that may have put it together.

I was told by several pilots that coming here would be a mistake because many of the people that regularly post are jerks.

I was hoping they were wrong.

I was told by several pilots that coming here would be a mistake because many of the people that regularly post are jerks.

You are the one trolling and posting a thread about how now you are scared of flying due to watching crash videos. Here, most of us like to fly, and will defend flying from morons posting scare threads. Watching someone else crash and becoming scared by sophomoric at best.

May suggest you find another forum that deals with phobias. ;)

Sorry buddy you are the one posting about being scared. Modern GA pilots are tops in reality denial. Really funny to watch.

I don't know what you're talking about???

My 1961 Bonanza is as safe as taking an airliner, most of the time faster door-to-door than taking an airliner, it allows me to jet set about the world any time I please at a cost that's slightly lower than driving a new SUV.

Look man, if there's a question, the answer is RV10. Just mention how you're interested in buying one.... Instant forum cred.

Flying is safer than driving. And flying a 180 with 26" tundra's that can land almost anywhere safely has to be statistically a pretty safe mode of travel.

It's travel that's inherently dangerous more so than say napping or watching TV.

I'm sure the settler's had fatalities in covered wagons. They just didn't have NTSB reports.

Flying is safer than driving. And flying a 180 with 26" tundra's that can land almost anywhere safely has to be statistically a pretty safe mode of travel.

It's travel that's inherently dangerous more so than say napping or watching TV.

I'm sure the settler's had fatalities in covered wagons. They just didn't have NTSB reports.

Last time I did any research, I seem to remember that flying GA single engine pistons was statistically about 4 times more lethal than driving a car. I would assume that's somewhere along the lines of riding a motorcycle.

Last time I did any research, I seem to remember that flying GA single engine pistons was statistically about 4 times more lethal than driving a car. I would assume that's somewhere along the lines of riding a motorcycle.

That's surprising. I've never seen those stats. But I won't argue with you.

You mean with all the idiots on the road who can T-bone you out of nowhere, flying is more dangerous per mile? That's hard to believe. :no:

I'll go liberal and choose to believe otherwise in the face of facts ... ;)

I don't know what you're talking about???

My 1961 Bonanza is as safe as taking an airliner, most of the time faster door-to-door than taking an airliner, it allows me to jet set about the world any time I please at a cost that's slightly lower than driving a new SUV.

There it is again. Damn that river in Egypt. I'm sure the rest of your post is true, but your Bo is nowhere near as safe as an airliner.

Probably true if you only count the single vehicle accidents. Too many people die on bikes because of those around them.

There is a lot of validity to that.

In many ways I feel more safe on my k1600 than I do in my car simply because of the agility of the bike to be able to get out of the way.

Also as a motorcycle rider you tend to have your head on a swivel and be a very "proactive" defensive rider. On a motorcycle (in theory) you're doing one thing, riding the motorcycle. Where as, people driving their box down the road quite often are reading, putting on makeup, texting, fiddling with xm.. etc.. most of the time they don't see past their own hood.

You gotta watch those guys..

You are the one trolling and posting a thread about how now you are scared of flying due to watching crash videos. Here, most of us like to fly, and will defend flying from morons posting scare threads. Watching someone else crash and becoming scared by sophomoric at best.

May suggest you find another forum that deals with phobias. ;)

So, you've now essentially called me a coward, a troll and a moron. That's just lovely - what a wonderful human being you must be.

A lot of folks these days are wondering why general aviation is on the decline, and I can only point to folks like you who seem to go out of your way to be rude and discourteous to those that are new to it. You're the problem. You should likely check your attitude and maybe offer helpful advice rather than the negative spew you seem to want to unload.

Now I realize the irony of my complaining about you calling me names and being negative when I used harsh language at you and did the same thing back. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I apologize. I was out of line. You upset me and I over reacted. You owe me an apology too.

In all seriousness, please reconsider your words and be polite in the future. There's no need to be negative as it only hurts the community as a whole.

As to the thread in general after rereading my original post I think the Title is the issue. I should have said "Darn you YouTube, Stop TRYING TO scare me".

My whole point was not to be a naysayer or be a "moron posting scare threads" to use your language, but rather to point out that YouTube keeps flooding me with crash videos all of a sudden. The end. There's nothing more to read into this.

In my day I have flown in; C150 (just once), C152 (many times), C172(3 times) a Piper Warrior (twice, the first time did scare me but it was the pilot not the plane), UH1 Huey (twice in Korea), UH60 Blackhawk (Dozens of times in the Army), CH47 Chinook (twice), an OH58 Kiowa (only once and this was an AWESOME experience) and more commercial airline aircraft than I care to name.

I have flown.. I'm not scared of flying. I'm currently getting my pilots license.

I firmly believe that flying is just like any other activity.. it's as safe as you make it. I have said this before and continue to say that the most dangerous part of flying is driving to the airport.

Did I forget to turn the sarcasm light on?

I suspected it but couldn't let the chance to argue pass. You are a hero for flying your deathtrap, especially knowing all those scary youtube videos are out there. Boo!

Death is inevitable, why be afraid of it? Just do what you can to make yourself feel prepared for living and let nature take its course.

Look man, if there's a question, the answer is RV10. Just mention how you're interested in buying one.... Instant forum cred.

Nope - you gotta BUILD it for the cred...

There is a lot of validity to that.

In many ways I feel more safe on my k1600 than I do in my car simply because of the agility of the bike to be able to get out of the way.

Also as a motorcycle rider you tend to have your head on a swivel and be a very "proactive" defensive rider. On a motorcycle (in theory) you're doing one thing, riding the motorcycle. Where as, people driving their box down the road quite often are reading, putting on makeup, texting, fiddling with xm.. etc.. most of the time they don't see past their own hood.

You gotta watch those guys..

So, you've now essentially called me a coward, a troll and a moron. That's just lovely - what a wonderful human being you must be.

A lot of folks these days are wondering why general aviation is on the decline, and I can only point to folks like you who seem to go out of your way to be rude and discourteous to those that are new to it. You're the problem. You should likely check your attitude and maybe offer helpful advice rather than the negative spew you seem to want to unload.

Now I realize the irony of my complaining about you calling me names and being negative when I used harsh language at you and did the same thing back. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I apologize. I was out of line. You upset me and I over reacted. You owe me an apology too.

In all seriousness, please reconsider your words and be polite in the future. There's no need to be negative as it only hurts the community as a whole.

As to the thread in general after rereading my original post I think the Title is the issue. I should have said "Darn you YouTube, Stop TRYING TO scare me".

My whole point was not to be a naysayer or be a "moron posting scare threads" to use your language, but rather to point out that YouTube keeps flooding me with crash videos all of a sudden. The end. There's nothing more to read into this.

In my day I have flown in; C150 (just once), C152 (many times), C172(3 times) a Piper Warrior (twice, the first time did scare me but it was the pilot not the plane), UH1 Huey (twice in Korea), UH60 Blackhawk (Dozens of times in the Army), CH47 Chinook (twice), an OH58 Kiowa (only once and this was an AWESOME experience) and more commercial airline aircraft than I care to name.

I have flown.. I'm not scared of flying. I'm currently getting my pilots license.

I firmly believe that flying is just like any other activity.. it's as safe as you make it. I have said this before and continue to say that the most dangerous part of flying is driving to the airport.

Well, if no one else will say it...Thanks for the follow up and apology. Good luck with your training on becoming a pilot and take it seriously, it may prevent you from becoming one of the bad statistics. Look forward to hearing of your progress.

So you've noticed it too huh? He can't help himself, he gets off on bullying people. Such as "little gas monkey twit" boys who work as FBO linemen, and "menopausal Internet posters", women with whom he disagrees with :rolleyes2:

Last edited:
So you've noticed it too huh? He can't help himself, he gets off on bullying people. Such as "little gas monkey twit" boys who work as FBO linemen, and "menopausal Internet posters", women with whom he disagrees with :rolleyes2:

You forgot to add calling out "race baiters". ;).

I'm an equal opportunity offender. :D

Last edited:
Oh, BTW - if you need to reset your youtube "watch this" back to total boring, watch a few of my videos... :sleep:

Back