Dangerous Text Message?

Years ago I got a call from 'Microsoft' saying I had a virus and they would help me fix it. I played along and let them walk me through and pretended to be following along. After about 5 minutes I acted confused and told them I was on a Linux laptop. He asked me to repeat myself and I said 'listen, I am a System Security Engineer with a degree in Computer Forensics'. He hung up on me...lol

Whatever you do, don't hang up yet, the trace isn't done.

Lately, I’ve been getting lots of calls and texts for “Hylise.” Don’t know who she is, but I don’t think she is very good at paying her bills.
We've had our home number for about the same length of time, since the early to mid 1990s. More than once we've people call daily, sometimes several times a day, asking for someone we've never heard of. They won't ever identify who they are, but I was eventually able to determine that they're "zombie debt" collectors. It takes serious effort to find and squash those insects. In each case I've found that they were bottom-feeding law firms, which is convenient. Clear, strongly worded, hard copy letters sent by registered mail with CC to their state's AG, the state bar association, one to the CFPB, and one to the FTC thrown in just for good measure made the calls stop. Then a year or two later they start again, different players, same game. Now we have Ooma send all unknown calls to voicemail. They almost never leave messages, and when they do the messages are easily deleted.

Years ago I got a call from 'Microsoft' saying I had a virus and they would help me fix it. I played along and let them walk me through and pretended to be following along. After about 5 minutes I acted confused and told them I was on a Linux laptop. He asked me to repeat myself and I said 'listen, I am a System Security Engineer with a degree in Computer Forensics'. He hung up on me...lol

I used to get those, too. Someone on the line would say my Windows computer was sending bogus emails. I would ask, "Which one?" and they would say, "Your Windows computer." I would ask again, which one? I didn't tell them that at any given time there might be 5 computers running Windows in our house. After I had played with them a bit I'd ask them for the IP address of the machine causing the "problem". If dumb looks over the phone were free... :)

A long time ago I got a call from a lady, who used my name preceded by Sgt., she told me she couldn't go out with me tonight. I'm married and I thought someone was messing with me, my friends used to prank all the time, so I said to her, "Ok", she said "is that it?" I said "yup, take care", and she hung up. About a year later I found out someone with my name was stationed over at an Army base nearby with the same name when I got another call from someone else. Ooops.
Had something similar happen. And when you consider my name, it was an incredible coincidence....

Ron Wanttaja

Back