Dang it! Another TIA, now what?

Jeff Szlauko

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ChopperJeff
I’ve posted before about this, where I had a TIA (laymen’s term is mild stroke), and was looking at resuming my private pilot’s training in another 5 months as that would have marked the 2 year point from my last TIA. Well f**k, just yesterday morning I had another TIA episode! Just my luck!

Guess I could have not admitted to it, and glossed it over and pretended it never happened, but it seems to me when it comes flying a plane, no shortcuts and/or cheats are to be accepted. But then that’s just me!

So I’m guessing I am at this point I’m back to square one, needing to wait another 2 years before getting back to training, but I will check with an MDE (I think that’s what they are called) to be sure.

Just got me wondering if there is a way I can go up and fly and not be wasting time and yet get some good education, and fun! Sure, any CFI will go up with me, but it would seem a waste of time to get training now, only to have to redo it a couple years down the road, as one needs to be current on the stuff learned. But then again, that said, if I spend a couple years just every month or so going up with an instructor, by the time I am able to jump back in 100%, I’ll hit the road running!

Sorry, I’m just thinking out loud here now, and if you’re reading this and thinking “what the f*ck”, then please just move on and don’t hammer me. I’m sensitive, especially now!

Seems to me I’m answering my own question, but aside from going up with a CFI, how does it work when going up with a licensed pilot! Can a person who has yet to achieve a pilots license pilot sit in the left seat with a licensed pilot to the right? Does that position designate PIC, and unless the person to the right is an instructor, then I cannot be in that seat?

Yes, I know, I can check with a CFI. Just throwing it out to the crowd here.

I would like to at this point give a huge thanks to the gentleman at Gold Seal online training for what they did for me almost two years ago when I had my first TIA, and had to take a break. Many many thanks!

Soaring…interesting option! Could be an interesting endeavor! Will think about, thanks!

Ya, go flying with anyone (who ya trust).

And very little training is “wasted”. The main reason for efficiency is economy. Knock out requirements, x/c’s and such. One logged, they’re good.

Maybe an intro to acro, tailwheel, spin/upset. All this is good experience. Don’t have to take it to completion, just some exposure.

Sorry to hear about the reset….

Get it figured out and get better. Couple tias put you are risk for a cva. Need some serious risk stratification and reduction.

If your enjoying flying, get a good safety pilot and have some fun. Make sure the safety pilot can handle a bad situation if you have one. But don't sit on the couch when you could be enjoying some flying.

Get it figured out and get better. Couple tias put you are risk for a cva. Need some serious risk stratification and reduction.

Yes, will be going over stuff with my doctor. Hopefully it all doesn't lead to way more serious stuff. From what I have learned, it doesn't have to.

If your enjoying flying, get a good safety pilot and have some fun. Make sure the safety pilot can handle a bad situation if you have one. But don't sit on the couch when you could be enjoying some flying.

Yes, a part of me feels that the more precious life is, the more one should enjoy it! There is nothing like being up in the air with the freedom of flight, even though there's all that complicated radio and navigation stuff! LOL.

But then that's part of the challenge...and reward!

Did you have a valid medical 2 years ago? If so, then you are eligible for basic med, and can fly and resume your training as soon as you and your doc believe it is safe for you to do so. If you've never been denied a medical, you can go for light sport. And either way, you can get your private rating in gliders. That will certainly put you well ahead if you decide to go for a power rating in two years. Be well.

Ya, go flying with anyone (who ya trust).

And very little training is “wasted”. The main reason for efficiency is economy. Knock out requirements, x/c’s and such. One logged, they’re good.

Maybe an intro to acro, tailwheel, spin/upset. All this is good experience. Don’t have to take it to completion, just some exposure.

Sorry to hear about the reset….

Good point in that basically, any training is good training! And at 65 years old, I am certainly not young, but I am also not over the hill! To think I was just a long cross-country solo and a handful of hours away from being able to do my final check flight a couple years ago when I took a break! If nothing else, I have already achieved what many others have not!

Did you have a valid medical 2 years ago? If so, then you are eligible for basic med, and can fly and resume your training as soon as you and your doc believe it is safe for you to do so. If you've never been denied a medical, you can go for light sport. And either way, you can get your private rating in gliders. That will certainly put you well ahead if you decide to go for a power rating in two years. Be well.

I did have a valid med several years ago. So yeah, a basic med should be doable. I'll look into that, thanks!

Actually that’s an inadequately explained loss of neurological control, so per the Basic enabling legislation you need to win ONE SI. Before basic med is okay….

Actually that’s an inadequately explained loss of neurological control, so per the Basic enabling legislation you need to win ONE SI. Before basic med is okay….
The TIA is the explanation.

SI requirement limited to:

8.2.2 A neurological disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:
1. Epilepsy.
2. Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.
3. A transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.

You don't need a medical for training if you aren't going to solo so keep on keeping on if you feel up to it.

SI requirement limited to:

8.2.2 A neurological disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:
1. Epilepsy.
2. Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.
3. A transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.

Well, the "Disturbance of consciousness" might fit my case, but I was always fully conscience and able to talk and understand people. The only thing affected was my ability to remember anyone's name, including my own wife! Though with enough thought I was able to come up with it. But I suppose one could view that as a "Disturbance of consciousness".

Should probably just see a DPE and go from there. But obviously first and foremost is to get to the bottom of these TIA events, and hopefully prevent any further ones.

Thank you all for your inputs! All very good! If nothing else, I can go up with an instructor and gain some valuable lessons, all while enjoying the flying! Be nice to get my mind off of things.

There might be a little gray area around whether an SI is required before you go Basic, and Sport might be legal, but IMHO that’s all moot. Until you know this is controlled you should not fly solo, as a TIA in the air would most likely result in a fatal crash.

Health first! Fly all you like with others, do all the training you want. Just don’t solo yet.

Agree until you are healthy don't fly but certainly if you were healthy and had no reason to believe you wouldn't be LSA should be doable and possibly Basic Med. The Basic Med SI requirement wording seems to indicate if you have a satisfactory explanation of the cause you wouldn't need an SI. However not sure many PCPs are going to be willing to sign you off if you are having periodic TIAs.

There might be a little gray area around whether an SI is required before you go Basic, and Sport might be legal, but IMHO that’s all moot. Until you know this is controlled you should not fly solo, as a TIA in the air would most likely result in a fatal crash.

Health first! Fly all you like with others, do all the training you want. Just don’t solo yet.

Yes, it is certainly the soloing part that concerns me the most. My TIAs are a bit weird in that I just have problems with names, though I also seem to have difficulty typing out the words I mean to type. However, I can speak just fine, and understand people. I actually think I would be able to know my way around and land, but then it might be a crap shoot working the radio. Don't know for sure as I have never tried working one during a TIA episode, but obviously I wouldn't want to find out while in the air!
Man, I never thought I'd be in this position! Amazing how life can just walk up and smack you up the side of the head!
Will just have to work thru it I guess...not much choice! Perhaps going up with an instructor will be great therapy! Not as fun and challenging as soloing, which I loved, but hey, it's better than sitting on my keester and feeling down!
Sorry, got a bit into "thinking out loud there".
Everyone here has been great! Such a great site with good people.

Thank you! It seems that others have held a different opinion lately.

Yes, well, one can never please everybody. Overall my experience has been very good, but yeah, I've seen that occasional disgruntled patron.

Just an update, after my last "episode" the neurologist thinks they are not TIA events as all the CT scans and MRIs don't show anything, and the ONLY symptom I have is aphasia, with no physical issues. She thinks I have complex migraines! Will be speaking with another neurologist next week. Got a pretty good list of questions ready.

Anyways, happy holidays to all!

Yeah, but maybe also involves another 2 year wait until I can fly solo. Never thought I’d be in this position, but perhaps I should be lucky I’m still this side of the grass!

If you don't mind me asking, was the episode of your complex migraine along the lines of a "fuzzy feeling / this is different", or did it get in your way of being able to adequately communicate, etc.?

Just an update, after my last "episode" the neurologist thinks they are not TIA events as all the CT scans and MRIs don't show anything, and the ONLY symptom I have is aphasia, with no physical issues. She thinks I have complex migraines! Will be speaking with another neurologist next week. Got a pretty good list of questions ready.

Anyways, happy holidays to all!
Aphasia can occur with classic or complex migraines. The former fall under CACI, which means the AME can issue you a medical if you meet the criteria. Complex migraines must be deferred to the FAA. So make sure you get the correct diagnosis because it matters.

Neither rule out Basic Med, though, and it seems like that would work for you.

So Basic Med is an option for the OP if it is migraine caused?

If you don't mind me asking, was the episode of your complex migraine along the lines of a "fuzzy feeling / this is different", or did it get in your way of being able to adequately communicate, etc.?

No “fuzzy feeling” during my “episodes”. The first symptom is the inability to know anybody’s name. Also have a hard time reading something and understanding it. Can understand what people are saying, but sometimes struggle to verbalize my thoughts.

The latest news is that the neurologist I just saw last week says that what I have might be what is called a “focal seizure”.
She didn’t feel it was a complex migraine as I never have severe headaches. However, she is not 100% ruling out TIA. She is suggesting having an EEG done to look at my brain wave activity, and then going from there.
This is getting beyond frustrating!
Sure would be nice if someone could just simply nail this down to a diagnosis, and then get it treated. But I can understand that medically it can be difficult to do.
All that said, I can’t help to feel that the FAA is not going to be very comfortable with a person going for a pilots license with a condition that basically has no diagnosis.

Can you buddy up with another pilot?
This way you can still fly safely while you and the Doctors work through the diagnosis process?
Solo gets boring by yourself anyhow.

Can you buddy up with another pilot?
This way you can still fly safely while you and the Doctors work through the diagnosis process?
Solo gets boring by yourself anyhow.

Yes, good point. I have been entertaining that scenario.

At age 65, TIA’s at the top of the list. They last usually for minutes(2-5). Patient often think of them as a “spell”. Migraine’s usually present before age 25, although they can recur later in life. Usually last 30-45”, often without a headache of any sort(acephalic migraines). Focal seizures usually less than 2 minutes. One should rule out the TIA first since they can lead to serious complications which can be prevented by early diagnosis. Next rule out seizure. Migraine is diagnosed by excluding the others and by history.

At age 65, TIA’s at the top of the list. They last usually for minutes(2-5). Patient often think of them as a “spell”. Migraine’s usually present before age 25, although they can recur later in life. Usually last 30-45”, often without a headache of any sort(acephalic migraines). Focal seizures usually less than 2 minutes. One should rule out the TIA first since they can lead to serious complications which can be prevented by early diagnosis. Next rule out seizure. Migraine is diagnosed by excluding the others and by history.

Thank you for the input! I thought it odd that she was ruling out migraines solely based on the fact that I don't have severe headaches, because I thought a migraine does not necessarily involve severe headache. I also informed her that my older brother was told he was seeing flashes of light in his vision due to migraines, which surprised him as he also does not have severe headaches.

Like you said, it's basically a process of elimination in diagnosing this thing. I think they are leaning towards it not being TIAs due to the symptoms and the CT and MRI scans all being normal. But they still can't 100% rule it out.

Your brother and any other family members having migraines(with or without headaches) increase the possibility this might be a migraine, but unusual for the first attack at age 63. Now if you had migraines as a child, then none till now, this is very common. Usually after a migraine, even without a headache, one tends to want to lie down, get away from the lights and sounds, and rest. The prodrome should last at least 30”, if shorter, very very atypical. With TIA, you feel normal after the spell. These are not hard and fast rules, but parts of a puzzle. Rule out TIA for sure for your sake. FAA not going to be happy with any of the diagnosis, even migraine until stable.

Back