Danbury, CT (DXR) Runway 35 Approach

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
A couple of people have asked if I had a video of the Danbury, CT approach to runway 35. Here is a short video that shows the approach into the valley. Notice, for a portion of the approach you can't see the tower, the runway, or almost any part of RW8/26 until you are out of the valley. The passenger in the plane is my brother, who hadn't been flying with me for 50 years. He isn't sure about the whole "little" airplane thing. It's also the first time he had ever flown out of and into a towered field.

Is that RT 84 or RT 684 running through the valley to the right of the approach? I have driven through that area many times and never realized exactly where the airport was situated. Doing an actual IFR on that approach looks kinda scary. Makes you realize how vital it is to stay on the line and glide slope.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's RT 7 that runs up that valley. RT 84 passes north of the field. There is a mall between the highway and the field where the old Danbury Fairgrounds and racetrack where. I learned to fly there 34 years ago. Thanks for the video

We used to call that approach “the valley of doom.”
To be honest I don’t think the video does it justice (to how nasty it is).

I’d be above the trees then drop it in.

Cool video Shep!

Not meaning to critique, but the approach seemed a tad on the flat side. If it were me, I’d choose to drop it in with a little steeper of an approach angle and be a bit higher over those trees.

Again, I’ve never flown this approach, so take my opinion for what it’s worth.

I've never flown in there but I've stayed there at one of the hotels NE across Rt 7 from the Mall. It's in a bowl alright, beautiful country around there.
Interesting video, thanks.

I’m still a bit skittish about being that close to trees. I tend to drop it in; Heck, not knowing the area or seeing the runway, I’d have to circle from above!

The approach to 26 at DXR is fun too. You saw that he was over the hill on right traffic to 35, so the approach to 26, you follow the terrain down to the runway.

Is that RT 84 or RT 684 running through the valley to the right of the approach? I have driven through that area many times and never realized exactly where the airport was situated. Doing an actual IFR on that approach looks kinda scary. Makes you realize how vital it is to stay on the line and glide slope.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's route 7.
I don't think you can do IFR to 17/35 any longer.

Cool video Shep!

Not meaning to critique, but the approach seemed a tad on the flat side. If it were me, I’d choose to drop it in with a little steeper of an approach angle and be a bit higher over those trees.

Again, I’ve never flown this approach, so take my opinion for what it’s worth.

The problem with dropping it in is that the hills get higher as you get closer to the runway. There isn't enough horizontal space to get rid of all the altitude with most GA aircraft. I've tried a bunch of "variations on a theme" for approaches to 35, and none is completely satisfying.

The approach to 26 at DXR is fun too. You saw that he was over the hill on right traffic to 35, so the approach to 26, you follow the terrain down to the runway.

Yes indeed you come over the hill for rwy 26 and you have to stay at 1,100' until you clear the "colostomy pole" that they put up just below the ridge line. Then you either slip hard or wave to the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the runway as you sail past. A guy in a Bonanza clipped the pole about 6(?) years ago. It wasn't pretty.
The localizer is on rwy 8, and you have to fly around another hill to make the approach.
The rwy 17 approach would be normal, except they want you to fly around the college, not over it. You fly a 30 degree angle to intercept the glide path between the college and the runway line.
The real danger for 17 is coeds. The women like to sunbathe topless up on the roof. It can get distracting.

The problem with dropping it in is that the hills get higher as you get closer to the runway. There isn't enough horizontal space to get rid of all the altitude with most GA aircraft. I've tried a bunch of "variations on a theme" for approaches to 35, and none is completely satisfying.
Ah, that makes sense, so you're basically forced to stay low. Looks like a fun approach! Thanks again for sharing it.

Neat video.

I found myself wanting you further over to the left hugging the trees (habit from wanting an “out” in the Rockies) until I realized there was no way in Hades you could turn around in there. LOL.

It’s funny what different people “see” watching something like that.

Other folks are saying they were nervous how close you were to them, and I’m like “Hey get that wingtip buried in those trees on one side for your best chance at an ‘out’!”

But there was no way that’d be an out. :)

Downwind side, of course, if you’re going to hug trees. Orographic lifting is your friend in some of our (slightly wider!) canyons if you really know where you are and really wanted or needed to be down in them in the first place.

I suppose I should get off my butt and get some cameras hooked up and go shoot some video of our stuff. I just find setting up cameras on airplanes to be a distraction from enjoying flying that I don’t need. My co-owner likes camera stuff though, so maybe we should do some flights together for a video “mission”.

Need to wait until the mountains stop clouding up. CAP is hunting for a missing 210 as of yesterday that went west in crap weather and light snow showers... here’s hoping the pilot didn’t. They had to call off the search for visibility and precip in the search area.

Two nights in the mountains this time of year without solid alpine capable camping gear (and preferably a freaking fire) the survival odds are dropping dramatically now. Sad.

I have a bad feeling the Rockies ate another airplane this week.

This is one of my favorite approaches, also love the opposite side, just looks awesome.

Attachments

• 6A8AEDD6-E9E4-4EC8-9CF9-8C73A491978B.jpeg
    6A8AEDD6-E9E4-4EC8-9CF9-8C73A491978B.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 16
The real danger for 17 is coeds. The women like to sunbathe topless up on the roof. It can get distracting.

Wait. You had a camera right? Just saying Shep. ;) :D

:needpics:

Last edited:
As interesting as that video is, it really does not do the actual approach justice. I remember that approach just prior to sunset flying into Danbury for the first time to eat at the restaurant that was at Reliant over 30 years ago. Just magical with runway lights on and so near the terrain. It's a bit unnerving not being able to locate the runway flying south of the airport and only able to catch a glimpse at an oblique angle through the valley, but also part of the surprise.

Last edited:
Back