Damned unreliable piston engines

Nice story:idea: says they were doing backwards loops? If so then it is no wonder they came from apart. Airplanes don't do backwards. Also isn't a backwards loop still just a loop, or left handed folks would always draw them backwards.

Do they even edit news stories anymore? I should have been a columnist if that is what they will accept as an article.

Yet another example of uneducated news reports in aviation. :mad2:

Sad..nonetheless.

Must have been a Porter doing those maneuvers in beta thrust.

Why would you even do stuff like that in a non aerobatic rated plane?

Not surprised that someone not familiar with airplanes would call a loop a "backwards loop" since the airplane turns back in the direction it came from.

A single propeller airplane..... there is the problem. If only they had that second propeller with them.....

There's a video on YouTube of the actual incident... Rather unsettling. It was a Citabria. And yes, they were doing acrobatics. I believe the pilot was 26 and his passenger was 25.

Low pass followed by a zoom climb, a pseudo stall turn, and a secondary stall/spin at low altitude.

Damn....flew that plane right into the river.
Not really. Stalled and spun it right into the river. Looked to me like he didn't have enough power/energy going into the loop and it stalled at he top.

Bloody idiot who took another person with him.

Yeah, you unfortunately have to sit through a few minutes of worthless video before the accident happens.

Thanks for the fast forward warning. Much easier.

Well if easier is getting to the fatally stupid part quicker, I guess. Sigh.

Always love the commentary by bystanders of accidents though, in or out of aviation...

"I think somebody better call 911!"

Ya think?

You might want to at least learn a bit of the English language before criticizing others for their lack of understanding.

Oh, but the hubris and arrogance and raw testosterone run rampant here.
Who am I criticizing?

I'd like to know how many of you MF'ers know the difference between a Plie and Sashay.

Aviation terms are about as common to to common man as ballet terms are.

I can just imagine how the PoA ballet review would read:

"Hey did you see how elegantly the tall slender chick squatted?"

You might want to at least learn a bit of the English language before criticizing others for their lack of understanding.

Oh, but the hubris and arrogance and raw testosterone run rampant here.

So you're saying we shouldn't go quote your sexual innuendo jokes from two days ago? Just checking.

You're pretty preachy for a guy who doesn't practice what you preach. It's gotten real old. You've had a weird trip about it for a long time.

Meanwhile more to the point, reporters and journalists CAN be held to a higher standard for knowing terminology or at least knowing they need to go look it up.

And yeah, more people than you think know the difference between those two things. I know you think highly of yourself, but really.

You think everyone else here is so stupid they'd call it a squat?! LOL. Talk about hubris. Talk down to all of us some more on a public discussion forum oh Great One.

Hey! Tim & Nate!

Show a little respect! Take your ****y discussion somewhere else!

People died here . . . Just because one of them did something he shouldn't have doesn't mean you two can turn the discussion into holier-than-thou fighting.

Hey! Tim & Nate!

Show a little respect! Take your ****y discussion somewhere else!

People died here . . . Just because one of them did something he shouldn't have doesn't mean you two can turn the discussion into holier-than-thou fighting.

Sorry.

Not sure what the point of posting a video of someone killing themselves on an aviation discussion forum accomplishes, other than as a warning not to do stuff we all know is deadly.

There's not much left to discuss -- other than how to get the point across that low level aerobatics is deadly. So I'll start there.

I'm sorry someone more experienced didn't get the message through to that pilot before he killed himself and his friend.

I shouldn't have clicked on it. I've seen that accident too many times now.

Low level show-off aerobatics without working hard enough to earn a waiver to do it, is just a dumb way to die.

I really wish we could get that across to people.

And even with a waiver, it's deadly about once a season to the best out there. This season, more than once.

You can only tie the record for flying low. You can't beat it.

I'm secondarily sorry that I definitely shouldn't have taken Tim's bait.

He can't even keep track of what he says one day to the next, so something's wrong there. I shouldn't let it bother me but he goes after people for no reason at all.

Claiming the world around him doesn't know ballet terms...? WTH?

So strange. I hope he's okay, honestly. It doesn't seem normal.

It's really not asking too much of reporters to get terminology right. I've got reporter friends who lament the slide into mediocrity of their own chosen profession -- and they're quite a bit meaner about it than anything anyone said above.

Sorry.

There's not much left to discuss -- other than how to get the point across that low level aerobatics is deadly. So I'll start there.

Low level show-off aerobatics without working hard enough to earn a waiver to do it, is just a dumb way to die.

I really wish we could get that across to people.

And even with a waiver, it's deadly about once a season to the best out there.

You're very right about that. I lost a friend while he was renewing his waiver . . . Very experienced military and commercial pilot. **** happens sometimes.

Trying it without training rarely works well . . . . .

He came from and Aviation family...mom a CFI and dad a SW Airlines Pilot...been around airplanes for a long time...judgement and not training was the problem more than likely.

He came from and Aviation family...mom a CFI and dad a SW Airlines Pilot...been around airplanes for a long time...judgement and not training was the problem more than likely.

Apparently judgement was an issue. The open question is whether he had training in low level aerobatics. Training in how to fly generally doesn't include that, and a separate training course with periodic FAA reviews are required to perform.

Anyone know what the thread title has to do with any of this? It's editable...

Back