Damn ! bad hunt

I think an alien ship was hovering over them and pushed them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I showed this to my boss with 30,000+ Alaska hours with a lot of it on floats, he said it looks like he may have tried to force it to fly and got stuck in ground effect.

Read that water, tell me if you believe he took off downwind.

As he gets off of the water and flies over the shoreline, the water appears to become calmer and turn a bit glassy. The smooth water is on the upwind side so I believe he took off into the wind as he should have. What do you see?

Last edited:
Whenever I see Helio accidents I wonder how much experience the pilot has in Helios versus Cessnas. Helios are incredible machines in the hands of guys who know them well. When guys fly them like Cessnas they aren't very impressive. My bro-in-law has had a couple of Helios. He's a really good stick. Been in another with an accomplished Helio pilot. Cool airplanes.

The slats popping in and out make me wonder whether he was too fast and compromised his climb that way.

As he gets off of the water and flies over the shoreline, the water appears to become calmer and turn a bit glassy. The smooth water is on the upwind side so I believe he took off into the wind as he should have. What do you see?

Right at 0.35 you can see the wind shift on the water, and it follows the aircraft toward the beach. notice how the camera is pointed forward of the aircraft. You can see the wind was following the aircraft.

That makes no sense at all.

Do you know the Vx in the Helio with the flaps 30 ? Does it fall in the range where the slats are deployed ?

He was flying right at that speed where they plop in and out and change the wings lift in the process. The Morane has similar spring loaded slats, most pilots try to get through that speed band quickly to keep them from banging in and out.

Other STOL aircraft with slats like the Wilga and Do27 have to be flown very slow with the flaps down as going just a bit too fast will cause excessive drag and reduce climb.

Last edited:
Back