Dallas area meet up

I am cleared for Wednesday evening.
He's in Grapevine near DFW.
@AggieMike88 what about Esparza's? That's in that area and probably a lot more. It seems to be growing rapidly.

Or Roanoke has Twisted Root, Hard 8, and that street taco joint which is pretty tasty.
I am up for wherever.
I like Esparzas... Food is good, margaritas generous, and they have Fire Ant Funeral on tap.

And for my eventual needs, EV charging stations across the street.

Works for me

Hard 8 in Coppell is the better choice of Coppell and Roanoke due to more seasoned pits and cooks. And it's not too far from Flight Safety. But it gets very crowded quickly, even on a Wednesday. So I suggest meeting at 6:00pm to avoid some of the rush. Especially since parking will fill up quickly.

If that is agreeable, then we will meet at the entrance denoted by the red X. Parking is best in the green area.

View attachment 75228

Gonna piggyback onto this thread. Anyone in Dallas up for dinner next week after Christmas? Maybe Thursday or Friday night?

If you can postpone a week or so, I can make it... I need to get to Dallas by Jan 6th (and I'll be hanging out in the Dallas area for a couple weeks once I'm there), but won't leave here (Tucson) until a few days after Xmas.

I'll even have my husband with me!

If you can postpone a week or so, I can make it... I need to get to Dallas by Jan 6th (and I'll be hanging out in the Dallas area for a couple weeks once I'm there), but won't leave here (Tucson) until a few days after Xmas.

I'll be in Dallas until late January, so no reason we can't do this more than once! My sim sessions get a little later as the weeks go on, but I should still be able to hang then too - just might be post happy hour. :)

I'll even have my husband with me!
No reason DFW couldn't try for two meetups. I'm not sure I could make one the week of New Years unless I had decent advance time.

Add me to this list. My CFI academy class happens on Jan 3-18, but we are allowed to go to dinner if we are well behaved in class. For reminder of December, I’m working on grokking the AIH info and creating my first lesson plans.

@kath ... it would be cool to hear more about your check ride in person

I'm off from the 20th to Jan 5, so time of day isn't a problem for me.

I'm watching...

what type rating are you down there for ?
I'll be in Dallas until late January, so no reason we can't do this more than once! My sim sessions get a little later as the weeks go on, but I should still be able to hang then too - just might be post happy hour. :)

If you are talking about SIC to PIC, I would consider that a new type. Technically you can not fail an SIC type, a lot like a BFR.

It was a full PIC type the first time around - no shiny new certificate, unfortunately. :) But I am going from SIC to PIC as you said. This will be really similar - just the other seat, different flows, use of the HUD for Cat II/III approaches and low viz (<500 RVR) takeoffs, and an emphasis on making command decisions.

Last edited:
Way to go Dustin!!

Thanks! It's always interesting to get the various 'congrats'. They're appreciated of course, but that's one thing about being on a seniority list - all I've really done is stay employed long enough to move up the list to hold Captain in a base I want. ;)

@kayoh190 ... when are you in town?

I’ll be there Christmas Day, but I figured that wouldn’t be a good evening for an outing!

I head back home for a couple of days that Saturday, which is why I suggested a Thursday or Friday meetup.

Last edited:
I’ll be there Christmas Day, but I figured that wouldn’t be a good evening for an outing!

I head back home for a couple of days that Saturday, which is why I suggested a Thursday or Friday meetup.
Actually, being the bachelor that I am and my brother moving back to Atlanta, I happen to have the 25th available

I have a business trip in Richardson January 15-17 and my kids live in Denton County, so I'm good for some Hard 8 action!

I'm just going to fly down there on AA. Pretty well guaranteed to get me a "free room" somewhere near DFW on the night, LOL. ;)

I have a business trip in Richardson January 15-17 and my kids live in Denton County, so I'm good for some Hard 8 action!
Ping me as your plans come together

I’ll be in Dallas on Jan 6 and 7, then again around the end of the month. Watching this thread to see where the date settles.

Okay slackers - just rolled into the hotel. Anyone up for dinner and/or drinks the next three nights (Wed-Fri), just let me know. :)

And Merry Christmas!

Thursday. What part of town?

So how waz it?

If anyone's up for Round Two, the husband and I are planning to arrive either Thursday the 2nd, or Friday the 3rd.
I'm new to the area and could use some logistics advice... seems there are a gazillion options for airports, trying to pick one or two. Many parameters:
On what side of town might a hypothetical meet-up take place, and would anyone be able to pick us up?
Hotels nearby?
Affordable airplane parking for a couple weeks?
I'll need to get the husband to DFW on Sunday morning (the 5th)... are there sensible options for doing that, like public transit?

We're currently in Socorro NM. Next stop is Roswell. Then eastward.

Sorry @kayoh190 - we ended up playing GrubHub for @Rgbeard.

We need to schedule with at least a week's notice to get the other Dallas buzzards to show up.

So how waz it?

If anyone's up for Round Two, the husband and I are planning to arrive either Thursday the 2nd, or Friday the 3rd.
I'm new to the area and could use some logistics advice... seems there are a gazillion options for airports, trying to pick one or two. Many parameters:
On what side of town might a hypothetical meet-up take place, and would anyone be able to pick us up?
Hotels nearby?
Affordable airplane parking for a couple weeks?
I'll need to get the husband to DFW on Sunday morning (the 5th)... are there sensible options for doing that, like public transit?

We're currently in Socorro NM. Next stop is Roswell. Then eastward.
They tend to hang out on the north side. DTO is a popular option. They just added a second runway that is not on the charts but open by Notam. Just a heads up if you go there and on approach get confused by seeing a second runway.

@kath ... Neal is correct about DTO having second runway. That opened up around Thanksgiving to give the pattern putters a strip of hard surface so the primary runway will be more open to the departure and arrival folks.

For downtown Dallas, multi day parking choices are KRBD KGPM KADS. You will have to check in with the FBO’s at each place to see which provides the service you need and price. KDAL is located closest to downtown, but likely expensive.

For Fort Worth, KFTW and Texas Jet is a very good choice.

KDTO (where I am at) is a good spot for the north side of the metro mess. FBO is friendly, they do operate some outside tie downs, fuel cost is reasonable, and lots of good hotel and food choices.

KTKI is the same for the NE side.

Sorry @kayoh190 - we ended up playing GrubHub for @Rgbeard.

We need to schedule with at least a week's notice to get the other Dallas buzzards to show up.

No sweat! Still have three full weeks to make it happen. :) What about this coming Thursday, the 2nd? I get out of sim early that day (3ish), and don’t start Friday until 9:30am.

@kayoh190 and @kath

if Friday the 3rd works out beat for the two of you, I am open for that.

I can also do tomorrow night if anyone monitoring this thread wants to do something. Please ping me via PM so I don’t miss the message.

@kayoh190 and @kath

if Friday the 3rd works out beat for the two of you, I am open for that.

I can also do tomorrow night if anyone monitoring this thread wants to do something.

I can do Friday, but can’t stay out *too* late because of a 5:30am start on Saturday. I get Sunday/Monday off so I spend those days at home, otherwise I’d be happy to meet up tomorrow night.

How about Friday night at Enriques’s in Grapevine?

Central to just about everyone. And good food/bev items, including Fire Ant Funeral

suggest an 1800 meet up time because that place is popular

Back