Daily Pic

Twin Lakes, Mt. Elbert. Leadville, Colorado.

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 573
Our home drome, KFGU, with Grindstone "Mountain" in the background:

DSC_1070-X2.jpg

Hey that's where I took my checkride! Great dpe and nice little airport...hopefully will make it back some day

That's some pretty country you get to fly in.

:lol::lol:
Thats a good one. I was thinking Harrier jump jet carrier, but melting runway works.:lol::lol:

Reactions: YKA
:lol::lol:
Thats a good one. I was thinking Harrier jump jet carrier, but melting runway works.:lol::lol:

It is a bit interesting, either way you land, the runway falls away from you. Somewhere on the internet there is a very good shot showing the "V" but my Google Fu is weak.

I grew up in western PA, the country here reminds me a lot of that area as well.

Yeah, it does look like Western PA. I fly out of KLBE and we have a very similar looking ridge line just east of the airport. Where did you live up this way?

Bill, you know my cousin Ben Pendergrass from Dallas bay?

Bill, you know my cousin Ben Pendergrass from Dallas bay?

I recall the name but don't really know him, sorry. I've talked with Mark, one of the owners some, but that is about it.

Yeah, it does look like Western PA. I fly out of KLBE and we have a very similar looking ridge line just east of the airport. Where did you live up this way?

Pittsburgh area near KPIT

Also Clearview, where I've actually landed. 1800 x 30, obstructed and hilly.

Looked like a dragged in approach. I appreciate the displaced threshold, but can we move those two cars parked at the threshold?

I miss airports like that, most airports out in the desert country are wide open.

Destin/Miramar Beach, FL. Probably my favorite beach in the eastern US.

114-1407_IMG-X2.jpg

Somehow ended up flying the Hudson exclusion this Tuesday
Wasn't planned, but the friend we were meeting in the Leesburg, VA couldn't get off work until late afternoon, so I figured might as well take a scenic detour.
One of the coolest things ever.

attachment.php

Attachments

• NYC_sm.jpg
    NYC_sm.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 440
Chip Gibbons and the Extra he used to own. Does he post much anymore? Anyway, that was one fun ride.

I'm trying to remember who the lady is in the front seat, she used to be very active here, had a PA-28, lived on Long Island, liked aerobatics, wrote childrens books. Bueller? Anyone?

113-1389_IMG-X2.jpg

113-1391_IMG-X2.jpg

Reactions: YKA
In Vegas after putting the airplane to bed for the night:

1381458_10200729662908346_1812278496_n.jpg
Awesome. I get the sense that you're one the professional pilots that actually enjoys his job, since most of what I hear is from folks who've had very negative experiences. Nice to see, keep 'em coming!

Chip Gibbons and the Extra he used to own. Does he post much anymore? Anyway, that was one fun ride.

I'm trying to remember who the lady is in the front seat, she used to be very active here, had a PA-28, lived on Long Island, liked aerobatics, wrote childrens books. Bueller? Anyone?

Chip's been pretty quiet around these parts. I last saw him (in person) in January. He doesn't own any airplanes any more, the last two were the Husky and the Baron and they're both gone. But, he is still flying other people's airplanes and has access to multiple planes for the price of gas, so I guess he's doing OK!

The person you're trying to remember is Toby Speed.

Wasn't planned, but the friend we were meeting in the Leesburg, VA couldn't get off work until late afternoon, so I figured might as well take a scenic detour.

attachment.php

Freedom tower is a beaut eh?

attachment.php

Absolutely!
One of my favorite flights. Last year when I took my son on this tour, Newark tower cleared us into the Bravo over Governors Island via a climbing, right 360 from 1000' to 1500' to proceed up the East River. That was Awesome!

The Hudson River scenic tour was also my first flight in a GA airplane. My discovery flight from KTEB.

Nice pic.

Last edited:
Absolutely!
One of my favorite flights. Last year when I took my son on this tour, Newark tower cleared us into the Bravo over Governors Island via a climbing, right 360 from 1000' to 1500' to proceed up the East River. That was Awesome!

How did you terminate the East River flight? If you haven't already, ask to cross Central Park. They let me when I went, and it was pretty fantastic. You turn left at the north tip of Roosevelt Island and join the Hudson northbound. Unfortunately, I don't have any photographic evidence :(.

How did you terminate the East River flight? If you haven't already, ask to cross Central Park. They let me when I went, and it was pretty fantastic. You turn left at the north tip of Roosevelt Island and join the Hudson northbound. Unfortunately, I don't have any photographic evidence :(.

Exactly as you did. I requested that with KEWR and the KLGA controller once KEWR handed me off to her, which was upon reaching the Brooklyn Bridge.

Back in January I took my daughter and her husband on this flight (wedding gift). We departed KCDW and after reversing course over Coney Island, I requested the Bravo and East river. Just south of the VZ, the KEWR controller granted me clearance. As I started my climb from 1100 to 1500, she came back over the radio and said "unable East River at this time". So we just stayed over the Hudson, northbound. That was fun:)

I just explained to my passengers that it was probably because of the runway in use at LaGuardia. No big deal.

Last edited:
Back